What non-boring car could take 3 child seats in the back?

3 kids and a Newfoundlander? Give up your ideas of a "fun" car and just buy a damned minivan. Buy a second "fun" car if you need that.
The dog does not need to be on board every day, or even every month, so a normal wagon will do too for occasional needs to transport it. But so far I've found about two different paths to go:

1) US wagon from 21st century (Taurus or similar)
2) that frigging minivan...

What about one of these?

IMG_0078.jpg

Suburbans are one of my all-time-dreams. They would solve all space issues, but two problems

1) They are registered as light trucks, which means you have to have a truck driving license (C) to drive one of those, and my wife doesn't have one. Driving one would mean at least 1500 ? extra cost.
2) Decent ones cost about 10 k?, which I find insane for a 20-year-old car. (On second thought, it could be assumed that the price wont come down either, so as an investment, maybe as good as daily driver gets?)

Last edited:
:lol: My father-in-law has a normal 3-door version of Niva, not quite what I'm searching for.

:idiot:

Everybody knows that MX5 drivers don't make babies. Babies are all icky and don't like Shirley Bassey.

Looks at username. :hmm:

A newfie? Umm, you'll need a van. Or a big suv....

How big are S-MAXX's and Galaxy?

Last edited:
I think the Audi A6 Quattro would be the best call, it's the one I'd go for.

uggh I want one!

I think the Audi A6 Quattro would be the best call, it's the one I'd go for.

They are not wide enough, so no for that one.

Looks at username. :hmm:

A newfie? Umm, you'll need a van. Or a big suv....

How big are S-MAXX's and Galaxy?

Galaxy is absolutely big enough, and S-Max should not be too much smaller either, so they're on top of my list of at-least-not-completely-boring-alternatives.
How about this!
Ford Falcon FPV...Ticks all the boxes :p
2008-Ford-Australia-FPV-GT-P-and-GT-GTP-Front-And-Driver-Side-Tilt-Speed-1024x768.jpg

Yeah, that would be awesome (if wagon and enough width are available), but importing from Australia and getting taxed & road legal would make me multiply my budget way too much...

Yeah, that would be awesome (if wagon and enough width are available), but importing from Australia and getting taxed & road legal would make me multiply my budget way too much...

And since this is going to be the family hauler, don't be stupid and buy something exotic. You want something you can find parts for quickly, not to mention people that know how to fix them.

Galaxy is absolutely big enough, and S-Max should not be too much smaller either, so they're on top of my list of at-least-not-completely-boring-alternatives.

Yeah, they look like they're on the edge of "Boring" but "interesting."

How awful solution would be a Ford Maverick (sold as Escape in the US)? There is even quite decent selection for sale around here, mid-2000's go for 7-8 grand, which I find quite affordable for an SUV that's less than 10 years old. Googling shows that they're supposed to be quite roomy on the rear seat. They're available with 2.0 and 2.3 four-cylinder engines, which sounds to be really under powered for a car this size, but that 3.0 V6 should have enough grunt. But I wonder how bad the fuel economy would be...

ford-maverick-5967014_b_80048962.jpg

http://www.nettiauto.com/en/ford/maverick/5967014

I had already set my mind on getting a Chrysler 300C Touring, but lately heavy snowing has turned my head more on the 4x4s. And a decent 300C would still cost about 15 000 ?.

I've got about 3 more months to change my mind a million times, and then I really should have some solution to this. :p

Good reason enough to buy them used as the risky first week has already passed.

http://www.nettiauto.com/nissan/patrol/6056265

Won't break like an Escape.

Don't know what the Finnish says but Google Translate is promising:

If it had a newborn in 1945 from a man, it must be manly.

That interior is just so 90s japanese... And I don't mean that as a good thing. Looks like it's out of a Primera 1992.

More exact translation would be "Here is a really big 4x4. Recently imported from Germany. A man born in 1945 has had this since new." And that seller must have never heard of symbols like "." or "," :p Makes hard to read even in Finnish, so I don't blame Google translate for having such trouble translating it...

edit: and that's a tax free, so getting it registered would cost another 3-5 t?. So a total of 10 000 ? for a 90's Japanese... :O

4x4 Multivan? :dunno:

:p

Last edited:
I'd like to suggest buying a cheap Freelander, there are plenty available on that site and some have the 2.5 V6. Should be good for the snow but I can't promise it won't break. :p