• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

what portable music player to get

jasonchiu

Forum Addict
its inevertable that i will need to get a new music player before going on holiday to england on the 13th as i fucked my cousins ipod big time and i will have to replace his with mine.

what should i get?

color ipod 30G? or is 5th gen out soon and i should wait and listen to the wheels mash the tarmac instead.

panasonic one, 20g but funny + contorls

creative zen? strap it to my head coz it wont fit in my poket?

replys will be very greatful as i need to get one on the weekend before i go on holiday to england to see uni's.

or would it be wish to not bring one and listen to english radio? capital fm is good.

Toshiba Gigabeat, I hear great things about it.

But really, I'd just stick to Apple. The new iPod colours are very tempting.

i jsut dont wanna buy a color 4th gen ipod and find out few months later the 5th gen is out with a camera or something

Jason said:
and listen to the wheels mash the tarmac instead.

I'd go for that :lol: :lol:

IIRC, Toshiba Gigabeat's software converts all music files (.mp3 .wma ect ect) to it's own "toshiba audio file" before loading to the player. which mean 1. lossy to lossy conversion equals quality loss. 2. much slower transfer because conversion is involved

out of all HDD players I had, I can definitely vouch for iRiver products.

iRiver iHP-120 used to be my all-time favorite HDD player, however it's now replaced by H300 series.
iRiver players have much more effective equalizers (a big plus to EQ fans, Im not one of them), firmware updates that often adds very cool/useful features, excellent built quality, excellent customer service (personal experience) and most of all, no software required to transfer music, It's recognized as an external HDD
only downside are: 1.expansive and 2.not as flashy as ipods (not really a downside)

I would stay away from Rio products, their players have a very-cheap/plastic feeling, their menu system is not as organized as other HDD players and my friend's Rio Karma's HDD locked up on him after 2 months of use (there is a way to unclock the HDD, hit it from the side very hard :lol: ) Performance wise, Karma is excellent, too bad the quality is nowhere near my standards

Zen Touch also gets my recommendation, easy to use menu system (same as Zen Xtra) and the touch pad is also a lot easier to use than Zen Xtra's scroll wheel. my only dislikes are: 1.size compare to other HDD players. and 2. menu scroll can be slighy laggy sometimes

around 2 months ago, I bought a 4th gen clickwheel 40gig ipod for a family trip to San Fransco, after the trip and total use of around 28 hours, I sold the ipod to my friend. I serisouly dont understand what's with all the hype about ipods. everyone at my school has one and half of them hold them like 70's CD players like they're afread it will skip. To me ipods are boring, offers nothing speical and surface that catches scratches if you look at it wrong. dont even get me started on it's battery life :twisted:

:thumbsup: Creative and iRiver

get the Creative Zen... and jason, incase you didn't know... there are going to be other people in the car which you can talk to and there is also the car radio...

:mrgreen:

I've got a three year old Creative Zen (one of the first gen ones - USB2 version). It's still going strong (even if the battery life is a little more limited than it used to be). It's easy to use, and with the touch pad thingy it's gotten even easier. Only downside is the computer software for it (always has been Creative's Achilles heel) though I've replaced Creative's Stuff with software by Red Chair Software - much better.

So, my vote would go to the Zen - I'd happily buy another if mine died tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and which Uni's are you coming to see? Sorry if you've already said elsewhere...

I'm going to vote iPod...

I wouldn't worry about the 5th generation anytime soon. Apple usually does 6 - 12 months between line updates, and the color iPods they released last week fit that schedule. If they release something new, it won't be for a while.

Yeah, Hokie seems about right with that one: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
However, they haven't updated the page to reflect the new iPod line. This could be because they're planning on changing the way they display the iPod due to the different lines now available...
While I can't (and won't) back the iPod (having never had an extensive play with it, though for what I have used of it, it wasn't bad) I wouldn't worry too much about it becoming obsolete overnight...
Unfortunately, I feel that the iPod is now too over-hyped and you're paying for the name more than the quality as all the MP3 companies are on a fairly level playing field. And I'm a Mac fan...

i dunno, every gen of ipods seems to have a big change so either wait, knowing apple they'll do something to piss everyone off (no i'm not a MS fanboy, i do have a 30gb 4th gen ipod photo and i love it), but if u dont want to wait. The iRiver and the Gigabeat looks pretty good. But if i waited maybe a week I would have chosen a Cown iAudio M5 or something like that over an ipod because it looks tyte and it plays video

i dunno, every gen of ipods seems to have a big change so either wait, knowing apple they'll do something to piss everyone off (no i'm not a MS fanboy, i do have a 30gb 4th gen ipod photo and i love it), but if u dont want to wait. The iRiver and the Gigabeat looks pretty good. But if i waited maybe a week I would have chosen a Cown iAudio M5 or something like that over an ipod because it looks tyte and it plays video

jasonchiu said:
i still dont get why the ipod doesnt have a camera yet, isnt that he logical next step

Dude, that's what that pocket sized didgital camera you bought is for ;)

well today i bought a ipod 20GB non color 4th gen for 1200HKD (154.362 USD) made quite recently have one year to scam them

please read the "fuck the screen broke" or smashed? thread to hear the whole event, rather interesting.

jason

http://img179.imageshack.**/img179/4680/cimg05904yj.jpg

http://img179.imageshack.**/img179/3839/cimg05911kh.jpg