What production cars had 6 lug wheel hubs?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
Because as far as i can tell, the previous gen Cadillac CTS-V is the only car i know of that had 6 lug wheels

aly04583u.jpg

And the other question is, WHY? aside from the wheel being a little more secure on the hub, it seems like a stupid decision to me, eliminating any chance of finding aftermarket wheels that would fit the car.

Clearly cadillac didn't feel it was a good enough idea to continue since they went back to a traditional 5 lug pattern for the current 2009 model

09_ctsv_wheel.jpg

They were using parts out of the truck bin - the old CTS-V used Chevy 1500 truck spindles, as GM didn't have anything of similar strength in the US parts bin at the time. They do now, though.

The old CTS-V uses the GM truck pattern, so there are lots and lots of wheels available for it.

They were using parts out of the truck bin - the old CTS-V used Chevy 1500 truck spindles, as GM didn't have anything of similar strength in the US parts bin at the time. They do now, though.

The old CTS-V uses the GM truck pattern, so there are lots and lots of wheels available for it.

Pretty much OT

IM sorry for asking this again, but how do you know EVERYTHING about cars?:blink:

Trivia: What can you distinguish from the lug nut amount in an early Mustang, and how?

Some generations of Viper did too. Must be for the same reason that the CTS-V did, ie parts-bin sharing with trucks.

Pretty much OT

IM sorry for asking this again, but how do you know EVERYTHING about cars?:blink:

Trivia: What can you distinguish from the lug nut amount in an early Mustang, and how?

I read a lot, I talk to a lot of fellow gearheads, I help people work on their cars, and most importantly I go to junkyards a lot so I can see how cars are put together and what parts they use. It doesn't hurt that I'm a quick study at most things.

In addition, I like to build up my own cars (usually Jaguars, but not always) and add features and capabilities that they didn't have when they left the factory. That means I end up doing a lot of research and learning extra stuff; for example, my Series III has now got a GM overdrive transmission installed where it didn't have OD before, an alternator from a GM ambulance, a Painless Wiring harness that I built myself, aftermarket wheels that were supposed to go on a Chevy Camaro and a bunch of other stuff snagged off other cars. and next year it's getting a Ford EDIS ignition system, MegaSquirt fuelling control, and a supercharger from a Mustang. All of this takes research and you learn things at the same time.

For example, here's the current build sheets on my Series III and Pathfinder:
http://www.dallasdrivers.org/spectre/vehicles/87xj6vdp/
http://www.dallasdrivers.org/spectre/vehicles/pathfinder/

Keep in mind that my Jaguar is the "toy" and the Pathfinder is attempting to stay close to stock (and as reliable as possible). Also, TFI Engineering is my entity for tax purposes - I get to write off my custom car modifications on my taxes if I call it a home business. :D

Finally, I have built at least two cars from the frame or unibody up (i.e., "Here's a couple of truckloads of parts and a chassis, have fun!") so I have a pretty good idea of how cars go together and how they should be built.

I don't know *everything* about cars, obviously, but I do know quite a bit. Now you know why. I probably would have gone into the automotive industry in some capacity if I.T. hadn't been more fun and more lucrative with less work. :D I do try to keep my automotive skills current, though. :lol:

The Mustang thing is easy. If I recall correctly, when talking about factory configurations four lug Mustangs, right through the Fox-body cars, are six cylinder cars (or four in the Fox bodies, with the exception of the SVO). Only the V8s and the SVO got five lug wheels.

Last edited:
6 lug? Big deal:

1962 Pontiac Ventura Tri Power with 8 lug wheels

0211hpp_09zoom+1962_Tri_Power_Ventura+Wheel.jpg

The Mustang thing is easy. If I recall correctly, when talking about factory configurations four lug Mustangs, right through the Fox-body cars, are six cylinder cars (or four in the Fox bodies, with the exception of the SVO). Only the V8s and the SVO got five lug wheels.

Close, but the SVO and the '93 Cobra R where the only Foxes to have 5-lug...

Meh. Like I said, I don't know everything. :lol:

Am I correct *pre* Fox body, then?

I presume the sixth on off roaders is greated security when lateral stress is placed on the wheels when only one or two wheels are over a gradient?

I did notice the Hilux surf i was looking at buying had six. Of course, I fully need six wheel nuts to keep my wheels secure on the town drive to the shops and back.

I presume the sixth on off roaders is greated security when lateral stress is placed on the wheels when only one or two wheels are over a gradient?

I did notice the Hilux surf i was looking at buying had six. Of course, I fully need six wheel nuts to keep my wheels secure on the town drive to the shops and back.

Sort of. Also has to do with being able to withstand the torque (especially when in low range or while towing things).

The more torque the axle is rated for, generally speaking, the more and the larger the lugs you will find on it.

On a simpler two wheel drive vehicle like a truck, simple logistics means that whatever the rear axle's bolt pattern is will be repeated on the front (so you only have to carry one spare wheel/tire.) So, if you want your 2WD truck to have "one ton" axles, then you're likely getting an 8 lug rear wheel flange - and therefore need to have the same up front.

It used to be that the most common half ton, three quarter ton, and one ton US axles all had the same six bolt pattern, so it made sense to use that pattern for all pickups. When the Japanese started seriously making trucks, they wisely copied this pattern to reduce costs and take advantage of existing wheel and axle stocks. This has since changed, of course - but it's recent and most truck makers except Ford and Dodge still use the six bolt pattern.

As far as I know, other than the Mustang II, yes, you are correct. As for the Mustang II, lets just not bring it up again... :lol:

Heh. Everyone but the kit car guys would prefer to forget that car.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an asymmetrical one lug configuration of the Mustang II. :p

Last edited:
Heh. Everyone but the kit car guys would prefer to forget that car.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an asymmetrical one lug configuration of the Mustang II. :p

Ford may do some weird things, but the Mustang II was just a Pinto in uglier clothing. :lol:

The Mustang II would have been fine if it wasn't trying to be a mustang.

The Mustang II wouldn't have been fine with any badge. :p

I read a lot, I talk to a lot of fellow gearheads, I help people work on their cars, and most importantly I go to junkyards a lot so I can see how cars are put together and what parts they use. It doesn't hurt that I'm a quick study at most things.

In addition, I like to build up my own cars (usually Jaguars, but not always) and add features and capabilities that they didn't have when they left the factory. That means I end up doing a lot of research and learning extra stuff; for example, my Series III has now got a GM overdrive transmission installed where it didn't have OD before, an alternator from a GM ambulance, a Painless Wiring harness that I built myself, aftermarket wheels that were supposed to go on a Chevy Camaro and a bunch of other stuff snagged off other cars. and next year it's getting a Ford EDIS ignition system, MegaSquirt fuelling control, and a supercharger from a Mustang. All of this takes research and you learn things at the same time.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i love "tuning" with stock parts

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i love "tuning" with stock parts

You know what the difference is between adapting good quality stock parts from other production cars and having bespoke parts made up for your specific car is? The bespoke part will usually look better, work about as well, cost ten times as much and be about 1/10th as reliable. :p That is, if you do the adaptations properly and don't halfass it, and the bespoke parts are made well.

I prefer to adapt already tested systems to new applications. :D

Why doesn't Spectre has a "Car Wikipedia" title or something?
Wikipedia because he's right most of the time... :p

I just remember that the Kia Sedona (not a car, I know) had 6 lug wheels as well:
http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/stills_white_0640/5114/5114_st0640_042.jpg

that's why were not extending this conversation to trucks, SUVs, minivans as 6 lug wheels are fairly common.

Judging frrom the trucks i've seen rolling around in aftermarket wheels, not sure they would make great aftermarket performance car rims.