What?s next?

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
Alright. Pretty much everyone advised me to buy a 50mm lens after I got my Canon 500D and I am really glad I did that, because I am loving the big aperture and the bokeh. I am about to have some cash to spend and I am leaning toward 3 things:
- a flash (430EX II or 580EX II)
- a tripod (Manfrotto 055XPROB)
- a tele (55-250 IS)

What is more important?

If I go for the flash, is it worth paying almost twice for the 580EX II or the 430 EX II a better value-for-money?

Send the money to me is my standard answer.

Depends what you want to photograph really, what is your niche.

Tripods are useful in many situations, as is extra reach.

:rolleyes::tumbleweed:

Flash if you shoot indoors. I've got the same tripod and the 430EXII flash + a 70-200 F2.8.

Right now, the flash is my friend. If you do landscapes, tripod is better. If youneed zoom, the lens... you get the point.

The one issue with the 430 is that if you want to try multiple flashes or an off camera flash, you need a trigger or another flash to act as master. That can get $$$(but doesn't have to). One time my friend had his SB-800 and used it as an optical slave to my 430 on camera. I've also borrowed a 550(not 580) flash and used my 430 as a slave. Can you rent a master flash? I think(don't quote me) that the Sigma equivalent flash can be used as a master and I know its way cheaper than the 430.

So, what do you want to do with it?

Flash if you shoot indoors. I've got the same tripod and the 430EXII flash + a 70-200 F2.8.

Right now, the flash is my friend. If you do landscapes, tripod is better. If youneed zoom, the lens... you get the point.

The one issue with the 430 is that if you want to try multiple flashes or an off camera flash, you need a trigger or another flash to act as master. That can get $$$(but doesn't have to). One time my friend had his SB-800 and used it as an optical slave to my 430 on camera. I've also borrowed a 550(not 580) flash and used my 430 as a slave. Can you rent a master flash? I think(don't quote me) that the Sigma equivalent flash can be used as a master and I know its way cheaper than the 430.

So, what do you want to do with it?

It seems there isn?t a "jack of all trades" between those 3 choices...:|
Well, thinking about it now, I think a flash would be the best. Shooting events (that is, making some $$$) will be easier with a flash. The earnings can than be converted in a tele and a tripod. :p

Thanks for the help.

Flash if you shoot indoors...
Tripod is you shoot outdoors or at night...
Tele if you do nature/far away work...

Flash would be my suggestion too.

you need a tripod with integrated telezoom and flash...

It seems there isn?t a "jack of all trades" between those 3 choices...:|
Well, thinking about it now, I think a flash would be the best. Shooting events (that is, making some $$$) will be easier with a flash. The earnings can than be converted in a tele and a tripod. :p

Thanks for the help.

Well yeah, if you have a flash you look like a pro which will automatically make you $$$, painting your tele white will make even more! :lol:

I'd go for the tele. I got my tripod/flash after I got my first tele. But then I needed it, it all depends what you want to do with your gear.

I got the 55-250IS after I got my 50 and I'm happy with it. Currently considering getting a flash. I wouldn't spend more than the $25 I spent on my tripod unless I had a really well-paying gig lined up where I absolutely needed to shoot in high wind from a tripod.

I got the 55-250IS after I got my 50 and I'm happy with it. Currently considering getting a flash. I wouldn't spend more than the $25 I spent on my tripod unless I had a really well-paying gig lined up where I absolutely needed to shoot in high wind from a tripod.

If you shoot with a standard size lens, a cheap tripod is ok but as soon as you put a heavier camera or lens on those, you definitely want something a little stronger. Even the weight of the camera and lens in no wind will be tippy.

If you shoot at the track, get a cheap monopod. Mine cost $20 and helps significantly with panning shots.

Well yeah, if you have a flash you look like a pro which will automatically make you $$$, painting your tele white will make even more! :lol:
WTD832.gif

I'd go for the tele. I got my tripod/flash after I got my first tele. But then I needed it, it all depends what you want to do with your gear.

I really want the tele, but I might get an opportunity to shoot cars, so a flash would be more useful, I think.