What should I do with this? (Busted car)

Thanks, TAG! :D

P.S. Any thoughts as to what you'll be replacing the Taurus with? (I'd recommend another, much newer Taurus - 2008+)

Actually, I am thinking of a newer one. It's been a good car considering the rust. The engine is still so quiet, I can sit at a red light and almost not hear it running at all.

If I had any welding skills, I'd give it a shot at fixing it. I'm still thinking of keeping it for parts or...something, but when I was checking the underneath...this came right off in my hand:

IMG_0006_zpsb4cbf485.jpg

Time to just send it off to greener pastures. Or to go out in one last car duel to the death. I seriously couldn't risk anyone else driving this.

Although, Spectre's idea does have some merit. :p

But remember, Spectre, the car has just over 300K miles on it. How much money should you spend on something with that many miles knowing that another major repair is coming soon?

(Plus, who knows what the rest of the underside looks like...)

TAG, the K frame is replaceable...

I agree.

I should look into it, but I'm afraid at what else is falling apart down there. I'll probably hang onto the car for a while longer as a backup. And maybe check around at the replacement of the frame. Other than the swiss cheese rust issue, the car will probably run forever. :)

But I really think this is the hint from God that's telling me to go get a newer car. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

But remember, Spectre, the car has just over 300K miles on it. How much money should you spend on something with that many miles knowing that another major repair is coming soon?

(Plus, who knows what the rest of the underside looks like...)

Well, it looks like this now:

IMG_0007_zpsabbb1b85.jpg

But back to the original question from EyeMWing...

If you have the skills to make it a rally type car, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
Buy her a bicycle or moped.

I agree.

I should look into it, but I'm afraid at what else is falling apart down there. I'll probably hang onto the car for a while longer as a backup. And maybe check around at the replacement of the frame. Other than the swiss cheese rust issue, the car will probably run forever. :)

But I really think this is the hint from God that's telling me to go get a newer car. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it looks like this now:

IMG_0007_zpsabbb1b85.jpg

But back to the original question from EyeMWing...

Erm, you hadn't mentioned that it looked like that. The K-frame is replaceable (relatively easily). The load-bearing rocker and valance panel looking like that means the car is toast and isn't safe to operate at any speed.

Capt - was just pointing out one option, but the later pic above renders any discussion of repair utterly pointless. That thing needs to be sent to the scrapyard yesterday.

Hell, it's not a big deal at all. Orders of magnitude less preparation than a Lemons car.

Your Taurus looks an awful lot like the Lemons Crown Vic in terms of rustiness... Difference being the Vic has a full frame (which is also rusty as hell, but that's another issue altogether). Get that thing off the road and put it out of its misery ASAP.

Make it Rally cross worthy and let her have a go, maybe she learns to actually enjoy driving/pay attention. As a bonus you could try to nag her out of the house while doing so.

I got the impression that he wouldn't let her near any of his cars ever in the future. Not that I blame him at all for that.

I'd still at least try and get to her repay for the damages, but I also get the impression that would be a waste of time.

Plus, I don't think the SCCA will allow you to compete while talking on a cellphone. Which would probably be a deal breaker for her.