What TGUS Presenter to Drop? [Part 2]

What TGUS Presenter to Drop? [Part 2]

• Total voters
Am I the only one who thinks Rutledge is the best of the lot? Of the three I found him to be the best humored and comfortable host. I loved his bit in the used car challenge.

Nope. Rutledge is my favourite as well. :)

Why don't you all agree with MEEEEEEEEEE! because I know better than you!

FTFY. :hammer: :shakefist: I'll decide what I think of TG US, thank you.

Remember that not so long ago Hammond wasn't able eat without dribbling or tie his own shoes.

Hey, he had a serious brain injury, remember? I'm sure one of the papers mentioned it once or twice.

I'll decide what I think of TG US, thank you.
How is saying 'Rutledge should be given time to show if he can improve' not making an apology for him? Besides it's not driving skill that's an issue it's the chemistry on presence of the hosts. A guy like Mike Rowe is an excellent American TV personality. Adam and Jamie of Mythbusters have great chemistry even though that show does the same thing over and over. The TG:USA guys aren't even in the same league. One doesn't find a TV personality in a few months. Next season Tanner's going to be wooden, Adam's going to be flat, and Rutledge inarticulate. Not changing the hosts means not changing the chemistry means same problems with the show. More time isn't going to fix personalities.

Wood needs to go, badly.

He's too fake, I highly doubt he's that stupid or hillbillyish in real life, he plays it up like a huge act. "Hehe I'm a fat stupid American! I like beer, NASCAR, incest, and flannel!" It's so fake. And I have no idea where you guys get the idea he knows cars. Based on the show so far, I'd say he knows as much (or as little as it were) as Adam, probably less.

I'm sure he's nice, and a great NASCAR commentator, but he's just a bad fit.

However, the real answer isn't available in your poll. Fake American Stig needs to go. No point, have Tanner do the tests. They don't use the stig for anything, and haven't built his character up, so drop him.

Otherwise, the show keeps improving little by little. I'm cautiously optimistic about Season 2, despite the show still being in a "Rut" as it were.

God, that was an awful pun.....:p

Wood needs to go, badly.

He's too fake, I highly doubt he's that stupid or hillbillyish in real life, he plays it up like a huge act. "Hehe I'm a fat stupid American! I like beer, NASCAR, incest, and flannel!" It's so fake. And I have no idea where you guys get the idea he knows cars.

when has he ever said that?

I don't see why people consider Rutledge wood to be a "car guy". If he is, he certainly hasn't demonstrated it, on the show.

I personally think the show could do with a COMPLETE re-do. The writers need to be fired first, then get rid of Rutledge (annoying), Tanner (wooden; no personality) and Adam (he's the one I dislike the least, but seriously, why is he on the show?).

Answer: Never, obviously.

Meanwhile, caesarbear? Here's what you said...

This forum just gets more and more deranged as time goes on. TG:USA is an abysmal show and Rutlege Wood is a horrible, awkward, inarticulate presenter. Stop being apologists.

That is, essentially, you saying you know better than us fans of TG US and we should think like you. Fine, you hate the show, and you hate Rutledge. That's your opinion.

However, it is a FACT that it's coming back for another season, it is a FACT that quite a few of us like it and want it to do well, it is a FACT that none of the hosts are being dropped, and it is a FACT that most of us didn't and don't want the current host configuration to change anyway. You are NOT entitled to an alternate set of these facts.

How is saying 'Rutledge should be given time to show if he can improve' not making an apology for him? Besides it's not driving skill that's an issue it's the chemistry on presence of the hosts. A guy like Mike Rowe is an excellent American TV personality. Adam and Jamie of Mythbusters have great chemistry even though that show does the same thing over and over. The TG:USA guys aren't even in the same league. One doesn't find a TV personality in a few months. Next season Tanner's going to be wooden, Adam's going to be flat, and Rutledge inarticulate. Not changing the hosts means not changing the chemistry means same problems with the show. More time isn't going to fix personalities.

Chemistry comes with time spent together on set and off set.

when has he ever said that?

Obviously he never actually said it. Its just his on-air persona which he either chose or was scripted for him. Its like every American stereotype rolled into one. As I said, I highly doubt that's how he actually is in real life, so he comes off as hollow and fake.

You are NOT entitled to an alternate set of these facts.
Do you think I'm challenging the poll results or something? Of course I'm voicing my opinion.

I'm not the one trying to bully other opinions with negative rep.

Maybe you guys are tired of hearing the negative comments because you never actually engage with it. Instead you try to shove it off the board or ignore it. Talk about group think.

Did it occur to you that I might want a TG USA that lasts more than a couple of seasons? Not something that's merely good enough to eek out two runs of lame and stilted episodes. Where's the insight and commentary? There's nothing but awkward shenanigans so far. None of these guys have said something worth hearing yet. How is that going to suddenly change. Writers? You guys think Clarkson, May or even Hammond need writers to say something?

Chemistry comes with time spent together on set and off set.
Some chemistry forms over years, but it mainly comes from casting. Nobody casts a movie with actors that have no chemistry hoping that it develops in the sequel. Same thing here. If it's not there, it's not going to suddenly blossom, not in a few months.

Last edited:
Have you seen series one of TG UK? This is what you should be comparing TG US to, not the current episodes. The boys have have had eight years to get everything right. In that typically British tradition, they might muck it up.. but that's the fun of it. All they lack now is chemistry, which you can't build in a single series of anything!

I'm in the process of watching that now actually (I have the majority of the season finished). I realize that Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will this series if it's to be successful. TGUS didn't have grannies doing doughnuts in season one though... haha

In all honesty, I am looking forward to seeing what season two will be like. In sports, they always say your biggest improvement is from year one to year two. I guess we'll have to see if that sentiment also applies to television series such as Top Gear.

This show and its presenters grew on me. They need to keep doing the challenges because it is the best TV they do and is the best way to introduce the guys to the audience. If it were me and they asked me to put the thing together the BIGGEST thing i would have done is that i would have hired at least one guy who is capable of doing quality voiceovers. TopGear UK is blessed with three pretty gifted guys in this respect. It makes the standard "lets take a look at this car" stuff work better. The US version struggles in that. I like all the guys...but...if i am just dreaming...

I would lose Ferrara and offer Tim Allen a load of dough to be the shows Clarkson. Guy does a ton of car voice overs now. He is a car guy. He knows hotrod culture in America (a part of this version that HAS to be included). He is naturally funny. HE has the money to have actually owned some of these cars they test and he would bring EYEBALLS to the show.

but again...thats dreaming...

Season one was just fine. Go watch Season one or Two of the UK version...its right in line with that.

The frontman host should have been Adam CARolla. He's the only person that could honestly speak his mind on cars, politics, sex without the worry of upsetting big brother.

He hosted the man show for F's sake! I also think he would be as nationalist tword US muscle cars being superior as Clarkson is about British sports cars. And they are nearly the same height.

And remember how poorly dressed Clarkson was. Look at Adam in that video.

Last edited:
And, of course, there's the Elephant In The Room of what would have happened with Jason Dawe had he stayed. He did a couple of road tests that were actually better than James' early ones. He might have turned out as well as James did. We'll never know.

tbh Jason was deadly boring... basicly he was too "factual" instead of being "entertaining".

[edit]
voted for none of them

Last edited:
tbh Jason was deadly boring... basicly he was too "factual" instead of being "entertaining".

Watch James during Series 2. "Deadly boring" is a pretty apt description of him at that time. It took until the middle of Series 3 for him to start exposing his personality.