What TGUS Presenter to Drop?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dygear

Car(s)
1992 Ford Mustang LX
Much like Top Gear UK droped Jason Dawe after the first series back in 2002, to swap him out with James May, who would you drop from Top Gear US, and then who would you replace him with? You can only drop one presenter.

No one, I quite like them as they are a refreshing change from the traditional UK trio.

However, Adam does seem to know very little about cars. However I do like his take on things.

Agreed. I think all three found chemistry far faster than the hosts of TGA and TGR did and arguably faster than JC, JM and RH did in Series 2.

Adam is may not be as knowlegeable about cars or as good of a driver, but you have to admit that Top Gear is as much about passion for motoring and comedic performance as it is about cars. Adam has the passion and the comedic performance bits down. he's by far my favorite of the US presenters.

I agree that the three of them have a pretty good chemistry together. They're a little awkward and forced sometimes, but they're still getting started. Judging by episode 9, though, it looks like they're hitting their stride.

Why is "none" not one of the options?

Agreed. If I had to pick (and I did) I'd cut Adam, but I would prefer if all 3 stayed.

Why do any of them have to go? You have to give them a chance. Good grief, stupid thread.

Personally, I think they are doing great together and got better with each show. Show just needs a bigger budget and the ones they spent money on (morgan, alaska, etc) looked on par with the BBC version. Why don't you add "none" to the poll which is what most people commenting here would have voted on. Little bias?

If they drop Adam Ferrara and Tanner Foust and replace them with two other gay guys we can call it qweer eye for the streight guys car. I dont mean Rutledge Wood is gay in a troll way, he is quite literally gay.

Last edited:
Adam or Tanner. They're pretty much the same person but at least Tanner can drive.

Which is why he should go. Top Gear is about stupidity, ignorance and incompetence (these days). Someone who can drive has no right to show their face on the program. That is why you have a Stig.

If I could, I would vote for all the hosts to be dropped. Top Gear US and Top Gear Au and Top Gear Russia are just cynical money grabbing exercises (by BBC World) leaching on the good name of Top Gear. They are commercial expedience at its most base and they disgust me ... and they should disgust you too. Cheap, cobbled together tripe, made for a quick buck before the suckers (audience) realize they have been duped. You can't copy Top Gear, you can't re-cast Top Gear .. that is why the original program is so popular ..... it is unique.

Of course if they do drop a presenter after the first season, they'll just be accused of ripping off TG UK again by the hordes of moaners that tend to populate this forum. Damned if they do...

THIS! :nod:

I dont mean Rutledge Wood is gay in a troll way, he is quite literally gay.

No, he's not. *shakes head* And even if he was, why does it matter?

Top Gear US and Top Gear Au and Top Gear Russia are just cynical money grabbing exercises (by BBC World) leaching on the good name of Top Gear. They are commercial expedience at its most base and they disgust me ... and they should disgust you too.

You are entitled to your view; you are not entitled to tell the rest of us we should think like you.

What I do think is that TG US is pretty damn good, and I'd like to see it thrive.

You can't copy Top Gear, you can't re-cast Top Gear .. that is why the original program is so popular ..... it is unique.

They're not trying to copy it! They are simply regionalizing it. TG Australia for the Australians. TG Russia for the Russians. TG US for USicans (and Canadians). TG UK, even though it may be seen worldwide, still caters to a British audience first!

Of course if they do drop a presenter after the first season, they'll just be accused of ripping off TG UK again by the hordes of moaners that tend to populate this forum. Damned if they do...

Truefacts. :nod:

I is pretty much redneck so I enjoyed Rut. Still not sure how a supposed 'nascar' guy can be building hondas, but ok.

After seeing my first bit of TGAU on TGUK this week, I do think the TGUS presenters are better than AU.

If they drop Adam Ferrara and Tanner Foust and replace them with two other gay guys we can call it qweer eye for the streight guys car. I dont mean Rutledge Wood is gay in a troll way, he is quite literally gay.

So? Whether or not this is accurate - and I could not care less about Rutledge Wood's sexuality - there is nothing about being gay that prevents someone from being a good TV presenter - actually there are a ton of great TV presenters that are gay - and nothing about being gay that prevents someone from being a car person - Elton John once owned a Jag XJ220, for example.

Personally, the presenters are fine, the thing the show needs is a few different writers who are more inclined to take risks.

You are entitled to your view; you are not entitled to tell the rest of us we should think like you.

What I do think is that TG US is pretty damn good, and I'd like to see it thrive.

Thanks for letting me keep my opinion .. but what about freedom of speech? :dunno:

They're not trying to copy it! They are simply regionalizing it. TG Australia for the Australians. TG Russia for the Russians. TG US for USicans (and Canadians). TG UK, even though it may be seen worldwide, still caters to a British audience first!

If they aren't trying to copy it, why is it called Top Gear? Why are there three presenters? Why is there a Stig? Why do they call it a Stig? Why is there a test track on an old aerodrome? Why is there a SIARPC segment? Why is it filmed in an old aircraft hanger? Why do the presenters have to have opposing opinions even if they don't? Why were the first few episodes littered with monologue lifted verbatim from early Top Gear episodes?

Sure, I suppose after answering these questions you can still say they are just regionalising it, but as an Australian, I can tell you that Top Gear Australia is no more relevant to me than Top Gear is and I am supported by my countrymen in the ratings the show has received. It speaks to me with no more regional resonance than a Coca-Cola commercial.

I tried very hard (and for a long time) to like and accept Top Gear Australia. My (stupid) loyalty has however not been re-payed .. the show is crap and always will be. As long as they continue to try to copy Top Gear, it will always look like a very poor (and embarrassing) imitation.

Which brings me back to my original plea. Top Gear has been very successful for BBC World. Their accountants have recognised this and sold the name on to a number of franchisees without really applying any quality control (Top Gear Australia being the oldest and best example of this). They expect us (Top Gear Fans) to lap us this third rate fare, as we have Top Gear itself. It is an insult. They are playing us for suckers and if you don't think this is all just a cynical money grab, answer me this. Why did BBC World sell the rights to Top Gear on to (big bucks commercial) channel 9 in Australia .. after (non-commercial publicly funded) SBS had done all the hard work and brought Top Gear to the publics attention?

These foreign franchises could be OK TV. But I believe they will only achieve watch-ability when they loose the name Top Gear, stop trying to be Top Gear, and evolve a style and format that is comfortable to the presenters, writers, producers etc rather than follow a unique recipe they can never satisfactorily replicate.

Meh. TGUK peaked about 5 seasons ago. Even if TGUS is reproducing bits from the original, it's still slightly different. Different style of humor, different people, etc. I think it's refreshing. IMO, after the last 3 episodes of TGUK, Season 2 of TGUS can't come soon enough!!

Tanner is a racing driver, which is a step away from the original. BUT, he is one of a very few number of people with some TV experience (even if it is "battle of the supercars"...) and enough behind-the-wheel experience to get behind the wheel of an expensive, exclusive, and exotic car (or "truck") and bash it. Which is a vital part of the formula that made the original great.

The other 2 are people with experience in writing and broadcasting who happen to be car enthusiasts. EXACTLY the recipe from the original.

I think Jason was cast, and then cut, because he was there very much for the "insider dealing" segment, not the comedy and car reviews. The style of the show changed, and it was time to bring in somebody new. TGUS skipped that step, so no, nobody needs to leave. They just need to be given a chance to click and grow.

I don't think it's necessarily a carbon copy of the original. But a show made with the same recipe. And I can't wait for more!!

Status
Not open for further replies.