WHAT THE?!

ladora

Not A Dude
Okay, this is not so much a cry for help but rather a question that I hope someone here can help answer.

So I just installed Vista Service Pack 2 and left it to do its magic while I went to have dinner. Came back, voila! It had installed and my laptop had restarted itself. All very good.

I decided to go and check my C drive to see how much space the new service pack took up, and BAM! I suddenly have 80gb of free space, when previously (before Vista SP2 installation) I only had like 30+gb of free space.

So my question is, where in the world did the extra 40+gb come from? I've had this happen before where my laptop does some kooky things (spring cleaning, I assume) and then I suddenly have a few extra gbs of free space, but never 40+ gigs like today. :blink: :blink:

I hope it isn't anything bad that I've suddenly gotten back so much free space... :|

Which version of vista do you have? My first thought would be the update cleared all your 'previous versions' backups, which can take up a lot of space. Vista could've generally compacted itself too.

Vista Home Premium... I hope that's what you were asking for?

(computer idiot alert)

Yep that's what I was asking for. Now I just need to check if it has the feature or not, I don't have Vista.

Edit: It does have it, and it is set to automagically take up 15% of your disk (or 30% of your free space, but that's irrelevant). See if you can work out the percentage you've gained. If it's something like 15% then it's probably your answer, and is nothing to worry about.

This page should explain anything I haven't. :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for that! Just did a quick calculation and yep, it is about 15%! Mystery solved, yay!

+rep for you! :D :D :D

Thanks. We've noticed it at work, where a big chunk of space has magically appeared. Always turns out to be Previous Versions crashing and deleting the lot.