What to do/Where to go in L.A?

Sevs753

Car(s)
'13 Subaru BRZ, '04 GMC Yukon
I'm going to be headed out to Los Angeles from Feb 4th-8th to visit my sister and I'm at a bit of a loss for exactly what do do. I'm already going to be hitting In N Out (several times), LegoLand and possibly the Carlsbad or new Irvine Cars and Coffee events. I'm also going to be going to the beach. I'm at a loss for exactly what to do for the other few days.

Any suggestions are appreciated and they don't have to necessarily be automotive related. Also, within a 2 hours drive or so.

This is quite scenic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeles_Crest_Highway
Plenty of roads up from the coast into the Malibu Hills are lovely as well if you're in that part, for example I enjoyed Latigo Canyon Rd a lot - somewhat related to having literally zero traffic by chance :D

I did nothing but chase lovely roads in LA so other than listing more I'm out :driving:

This is quite scenic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeles_Crest_Highway
Plenty of roads up from the coast into the Malibu Hills are lovely as well if you're in that part, for example I enjoyed Latigo Canyon Rd a lot - somewhat related to having literally zero traffic by chance :D

I did nothing but chase lovely roads in LA so other than listing more I'm out :driving:

Man, how did I forget those awesome roads? As a side question, anyone know of a rental place i can rent a drivers car from? Or will i be stuck with a V6 Muscle car?

Define driver's car, and - important - budget...Sixt would give me a Corvette for under 300? a day... STAR (Mustang or Camaro, rarely 4er) would be more reasonable at 46? a day, but would likely be a V6 muscle car without a roof, it is California after all. For the same money you get CTAR if you feel like a Beetle.

Last edited:
Something that isn't a SUV, Truck or econobox. And if a muscle car, a V8 if possible. I just want to be able to actually enjoy driving those roads.

Preferable a budget of around USD$100/day. Up to $200 for the right car.

An important fact, i'm 24 so That will likely hurt my rental car options.

Something that isn't a SUV, Truck or econobox. And if a muscle car, a V8 if possible. I just want to be able to actually enjoy driving those roads.

At 25 or over you'll struggle to get down to $100/day for some V8 muscle, so at 24 it'll be even less feasible. Sticking with Sixt for a minute, they won't even give you a V6 STAR at 24 and for CTAR you'll pay $9/day extra. Other rental places may differ of course, but with the age impediment I'd guess a cheap-and-cheerful convertible might be the best if not only choice you have.

Yah, My own research is showing pretty much the same. Any car is better than no car.

Unless a local FGer is willing to let me drive their car through the canyons? :p

It does, at least with enterprise, you're technically not allowed to get sports cars. Their website forbids it but, when at the place you can ask to be upgraded and they will do it.

Definetly drive up to the Griffith Observatory. Wear shoes comfortable to do some light hiking that day.

Also if you enjoy plane watching, the In-n-Out right by LAX is soooo cool.

Bring a lot of time for traffic delays, I can tell you that much...

Adding to the below, I'd like to recommend the California Science Center. Endeavour alone is worth it, but the rest of the centre is definitely worth a visit as well.

If you like the ocean, you can go whale ocean critter watching from Long Beach. It is a bit of a drive there from LA, but I liked it and they had a marine biologist on board who clearly enjoyed chatting with us and providing information... IIRC, the company I used was called "Harbor Breeze".

And if a muscle car, a V8 if possible. I just want to be able to actually enjoy driving those roads.
IMHO, you don't really get an opportunity to enjoy a V8 on the Angeles Crest Highway - too much traffic, the limit is pretty low for much of the road and there are cops. Plus, in many places, if you go off, you will die.

getty museum is nice
:yes: Both of them, are, the Center and the Villa.

Definetly drive up to the Griffith Observatory. Wear shoes comfortable to do some light hiking that day.
:yes: I recommend going there at night. The panorama is breathtaking.

Where are you staying exactly?

Petersen Automotive Museum is worth checking out if you want to do the car thing.

In n' Out is worth getting once you land in LAX, after that I would go here: http://www.umamiburger.com/ here: http://www.originaltommys.com/ or here: http://hamburger-habit.com/ if you're looking for burgers.

As for driving, I would just cruise along the coast starting in San Pedro and follow up through to Malibu, although it's a quite a long drive due to traffic. San Pedro through the Palos Verdes peninsula is pretty clear, the traffic around beach cities (Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan Beach) isn't too bad but, once you get passed LAX and start approaching Venice and Santa Monica the traffic can be tedious depending on the time of day.

LA is really known for its music scene, if you're a fan of music, I would try to go to show at one of the many classic venues littered across the city and Hollywood (e.g. the echoplex, henry fonda, the roxy, the troubadour, el rey, house of blues on sunset, etc.)

Also the best beaches in LA are in Redondo and Hermosa.

PETERSEN MUSEUM IS CLOSED. Until December. You'll hear a lot of jackhammering. But I can take you for a tour of the vault, if you're so inclined, and I can buy you a Kilkenny at Tom Bergen's down the street (where they invented the Irish whiskey).

Otherwise, the Petersen cars are at the Ronald Reagan Library and Museum, about two hours northwest of here, and they also have Air Force One and Marine One. Across the street is LACMA (closed on Wednesdays) and the La Brea Tar Pits. Both are pretty awesome.

Then, go to Nate N' Al's Deli, Bachi Burger, Tsujita Ramen, Sadha Vegan Thai (no really!), Baby Blues BBQ, 800 Degrees, and the Grand Central Market in downtown for Thai food, Wexler's Deli, or Eggslut. That's the beauty of LA: eating your way across every culture.