What to get next?

dinp

Car(s)
'08 Fiesta Zetec-S
I currently have a Mk5 (2008) Fiesta Zetec S Petrol. As it was the last of that shape, it came with goodies such as Bluetooth, Auto headlights/wipers and folding mirrors. I've had 2 and a half yrs reliable motoring from it and whilst the build quality is pretty suspect in places, its great fun to drive.

It will soon be time for a change though (probably March time next year), and i'm not sure what to get next. I don't need a big car, so a Fiesta size again is fine, but my shopping list is as follows:

The new motor will ideally:
- Be fairly fun to drive
- Be more economical on fuel and ideally cheaper to tax/insure
- Be as fast as my current car. If its faster, great.
- Be well built and well equipped
- Not have rock hard suspension

My history is pretty much all Ford, but i'm not averse to another marque. Don't see myself as a badge snob, but am doubtful that the likes of Proton and Perodua will have anything to suit. If you were me, what cars would make your shortlist?

Thanks in advance :) :?

We really need an 'in before MX5' meme.

Obvious me being obvious - Fabia RS TSI if you want a lot more power, RS TDI if you want more power and much more economy.

It has an outside chance. A tough ride might count against it, but then I might fall in love with other aspects of it

What size engine is in your Fiesta?

I'd recommend simply a new Fiesta. The 1.6 version makes a fair bit more power than the old car, is more economical, and it's much nicer to sit in. If you move up into the realm of hot hatches rather than superminis with big engines, a firm ride is pretty normal.

If you want something a bit different, the Fabia is a good choice, but it's going to be firmer than the Ford. It'll also likely be faster and better to drive.

800px-2011_Ford_Mustang_v6_Coupe.jpg

:p

I'd recommend simply a new Fiesta. The 1.6 version makes a fair bit more power than the old car, is more economical, and it's much nicer to sit in. If you move up into the realm of hot hatches rather than superminis with big engines, a firm ride is pretty normal.

If you want something a bit different, the Fabia is a good choice, but it's going to be firmer than the Ford. It'll also likely be faster and better to drive.

Ford Fiesta range expands

Ford has added a new special edition ?Metal? Fiesta to its Ford Fiesta range.

The new car gets a 1.6-litre Duratec petrol engine, which produces 132bhp and 118lb ft of torque ? enough to propel the Fiesta Metal to 62mph from standing in 8.7sec.

The 1.6-litre TDCi diesel engine ? previously only available in Edge guise ? produces 94bhp and emits 95g/km Co2, with a combined fuel economy figure of 78.5mpg.

I like this Metal Edition. This would be ideal, more power, and presumably the same ride quality as a standard Zetec S judging by the article. I have a friend with a 1.6 TDCi Fiesta. It's grunty and really defies its small amount of power, but it doesn't feel all that sporty. But if economy is important, it still gets a move on and uses next to no fuel in the process.

Why does the metal edition not come with metaly death spikes.

Currently have a 1.6 Zetec-S (petrol) Fiesta, its 99hp and adequately pacey for the type of driving I do. Problem is, as its only a 5spd, the way the gearbox has been set up, at 70mph its revving at about 3750rpm, so its pretty horrid to drive on the motorway over long distances. Shame, as the seats are very comfortable. The good side to this is that its a nippy car round town, the bad side is poor economy (40mpg at best on a long trip)

I know the 1.6 in the new Fiesta is 120hp as opposed to the 99hp one I have, but the performance and economy figures are pretty similar so i'm not convinced that long drives will be any more bearable. The 1.6 Zetec-S is poorly equipped, but the Titanium would fit the bill. Having had two new Fiestas in the past (2006 & 2008), the interior trim has creaked on both quite early on. Economy & build quality are my main concerns, but if the new model drives as well as the old one which is a hoot to drive, I could well be swayed.

May I suggest a Fiat Punto with either the 1.4 MultiAir (petrol) or 1.6 JTDM (diesel)? Handling is pretty good, engine is very keen to rev but is just as happy with frugal driving. On the motorway the noise is fine up untill 87mph and I can confirm it still feels very planted at 110mph (I've got the NA 1.4 by the way).

The interior is absolutely loaded with bluetooth connectivity and voice control (that actually works pretty damn good for making calls), a USB port for your music,...
One thing that is a must though are the optional sport seats, I don't have them in mine and I do regret it, a lot.

Not a bad shout, its on the shortlist - how's the gearchange on the Punto though? Reviews don't seem to praise it compared to the likes of the Fiesta

It's quite a long throw and takes some getting used to I guess, I find 1st to 2nd very tricky to get as smooth as I want it to be, but 2nd through 6th feel nice and direct.

Hmmm, a 6spd box... Gotta say the gearshift in my current Fiesta is very slick. Guna have to spend a day trying these motors out!

I must say I was impressed with the new Polo GTi. Great little car to run about town with.

GTi would be a Peugeot :tease:
Polo GTi... or Citroen DS3.
Nobody's listening! :p

A GTI would be nice, a GTi... not so much.

That said, I drove an Audi A1 Sport (same car underneath as a Polo GTI) and it was nice but it missed the fizz that, for example, my car has. This might have been because I was constantly remembering the Audi's ridiculous price tag - the Polo is much better value. DSG only here for some reason though, I'm not sure if this is the same case in Europe. That's the main reason I wouldn't buy one. Great gearbox, but a hot hatch is meant to be fun, and I have more fun changing my own gears.