What to get next?

The new Swift Sport will be hitting soon. The old one is a hoot to drive and the new one looks more of the same with a little bit more refinement thrown in (plus a bit more grunt and an extra gear).
Fabia looks great on paper, although they havn't hit down here yet, so I havn't driven one yet.

Last edited:
That said, I drove an Audi A1 Sport (same car underneath as a Polo GTI) and it was nice but it missed the fizz that, for example, my car has. This might have been because I was constantly remembering the Audi's ridiculous price tag - the Polo is much better value. DSG only here for some reason though, I'm not sure if this is the same case in Europe. That's the main reason I wouldn't buy one. Great gearbox, but a hot hatch is meant to be fun, and I have more fun changing my own gears.

The turbo- and supercharged A1 only is available with DSG/S-tronic over here as well. Same story with the Polo GTI (2.3k? cheaper) and the Fabia RS (3.3k? cheaper) and the Ibiza Cupra (2.9k? cheaper).

I haven't ruled out a DS3 or A1 - both are very colour specific cars though. Get em in the wrong colour and they look terrible. Something about the Polo just doesn't strike a chord with me, it just provokes no emotions at all. But i'd be stupid not to give one of them a try

I'd rule out the A1 purely on price. It's far too expensive for what it is. If you are considering that, you may even want to consider the Mini Cooper S.

If the Polo doesn't appeal, try the Fabia or Ibiza.

I'd rule out the A1 purely on price. It's far too expensive for what it is. If you are considering that, you may even want to consider the Mini Cooper S.

If the Polo doesn't appeal, try the Fabia or Ibiza.

I'm surprised you haven't recommended the Clio. Do you dislike your car?

Edit: That's genuinely not meant as an insult, just thought I'd add that part.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you haven't recommended the Clio. Do you dislike your car?
I would recommend the Clio, but he said he doesn't want a firm ride. The new model has a very firm ride. That and it's unlikely to be cheaper to insure than a Fiesta. If driving enjoyment is at the top of his list, I would recommend nothing else. But it seems he would prefer a fast-ish hatchback compared to a complete hot hatch.

Otherwise yes, the Clio RS is a brilliant car.

one word for you: Caliber........jk

I also recommend the punto, something different than the Fiesta.

I would recommend the Clio, but he said he doesn't want a firm ride. The new model has a very firm ride. That and it's unlikely to be cheaper to insure than a Fiesta. If driving enjoyment is at the top of his list, I would recommend nothing else. But it seems he would prefer a fast-ish hatchback compared to a complete hot hatch.

Otherwise yes, the Clio RS is a brilliant car.

Sounds fair. I guess he's looking for something smaller, but it seems the DS3 was also mentioned, so I was wondering about the Clio.

But it seems he would prefer a fast-ish hatchback compared to a complete hot hatch.

Got it in one. And that's the problem with cars of this size, its a struggle to get something reasonably priced & specced with a largish engine without it being a hot hatch. The Ibiza SC 1.2TSi is appealing as well.

What about a Mini?

Got it in one. And that's the problem with cars of this size, its a struggle to get something reasonably priced & specced with a largish engine without it being a hot hatch. The Ibiza SC 1.2TSi is appealing as well.

As typical as it may sound coming from me, but a Grande Punto/Punto Evo with a 1.4 16V Multiair engine in Sport trim seems spot on.

Here in the states getting a "fast but not a hot hatch" compact used to be easier-you could get Sundance's with v6's and stuff.....not so much today

What about a Mini?

No thanks, not a fan of them. At least if I get a Fiesta there will be space for people and things. The Mini is pretty impractical (not that its a major requirement of mine) and quite pricey for what you get.

Seat's poor residuals is kind of weird. It's like a law of nature, because they have always had low resale value. The equivalent VW or even Skoda, which is exactly the same car underneath the skin bar some suspension tweaks, is always more expensive. Yeah, demand is higher and you have to be sort of lucky to actually find a Seat dealership, but still, same car but built by spaniards who support the right football team. I am Gordon Gecko and I'm telling you, buy it before people discover that it's a VW.

New the Seats tend to be more expensive than Skodas, used it often is the other way round.