What to see or do in/around Madison, WI?

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
I'll probably be spending two days in Wisconsin's capital next month. Apart from a day trip to Milwaukee, I haven't had too many ideas for activities, so I'm wondering if anyone might be able to give me a hint.

I like everything that moves (planes, cars, trains boats/ships etc.), architecture, regional food and drinks and a bit of natural beauty. I won't be exploring any nightlife due to jet lag and may rent a car.

... Drive down to a real city? :whistle:

Road America is not to far away and there are races there. :p

Devils Lake in Baraboo is a nice place to visit.

You are kind of out of luck as far as things that move go. Madison is a college town and is trying to outlaw things with motors. Food you are in luck though; a visit to this place is a must - http://babcockhalldairystore.wisc.edu/ , State St. Brats is good for brats and beer, The Old Fashioned is good for our state drink (a brandy old fashioned is a must, sweet or sour, either is good), I'm not a foodie so I have no idea for good places for dinning experiences (just stay a way from Porta Bella). Architecture sites are Monona Terrace is one of the last things designed by Frank Lloyd Wright also Taliesin is not too far a way in Spring Green, House on the Rock is a novelty to experience, and Cave of the Mounds is interesting. Outdoor stuff - Madison is on an isthmus between Mendota and Monona lakes so lake activities are readily available, Trek has rides available in the area (check their website), Devil's lake is a non-motorized lake with lots of hiking trails and rock climbing, and The Dells aren't to far away for water park things.

You could check out some used cars for me :D

One has been recommended -http://www.theoldfashioned.com/

We also consume the most brandy in the world.

Also a walk down State St. will offer many more choices.

I forgot to add a tour of our state capitol building and the Olbrich Botanical gardens. Also there are a few race tracks around the Madison area but usually only race on weekends and there is the Matt Kenseth "museum" in Cambridge.

Road America is not to far away and there are races there. :p

Road America is 3 hours away. <_<

Here is me, a true blue Madisonian, lived there for nearly 30 years but I haven't got a clue for what you should see. I suggest a walk down state street; heading West you will eventually stumble upon Library Mall. Go North towards the lake to student union.

Have a gander inside the capital building, walk down Martin Luther King drive to the Lake Mendota convention center (you'll be on the roof), see if you can find the tribute to Otis Redding, who ironically died when his plane crashed into Squaw Bay. Maybe head a bit west and visit the Chasen Museum of Art, which has excellent art and is free.

Maybe if you are there on a Saturday or Sunday night take a drive down East Washington avenue, famous around the Midwest (or was) for light to light racing; I used to spend a lot of my youth cruising around, looking for girls and a race.

I grew up on the far West side, west of Gammon road. I spent a lot of my youth in Middleton.

Last edited:
So Madison is now on my list of places that I want to visit "properly". :) I arrived on Thursday (the 12th) and waking up on Friday, I could hardly move, let alone do anything worthwhile. One IV bag plus painkillers and an antiemetic later, I was able to walk a little bit and ended up at the Memorial Union Terrace... with beer, band, eduroam and everything. :D I'd been ordered to get plenty of rest and lots of fluids, so I took my chances and went for an almost local beer: New Glarus Spotted Cow. Well worth it!

Madison_1.jpg

much nicer than where I (could) eat while at uni

The next afternoon, I was rather well, so I decided to head back into town for a little bit more of light sightseeing. I got off the bus near the State Capitol:

Madison_2.jpg

where several wedding parties were taking photos - not the worst place for it, that's for sure.

I ended up on the Monona Terrace, which I couldn't enter due to some private function going on. Fair enough, that's what it's for, so I enjoyed an iced coffee on the roof - with a view:

Madison_3.jpg

All in all, it was a lovely time - but I wish I could have done more, maybe next time. Thanks for all the ideas; the locals did repeat several of them, so I had an easy time deciding on what to do and see.

Reactions: Jay
Oh wow, you pretty much followed what I suggested...or was it a coincidence? The lakes at this time of year are clear and cool so there is always a nice breeze.

Nice that you had a Spotted Cow, it's nearly the same price as the pisswater from Milwaukee and 3 times better. Where that band was playing is where I saw many years ago an unknown band with a stupid name play, Hootie And The Blowfish.

I wouldn't call it a coincidence - you did list those major attractions that are within easy reach for someone who's relying on public transportation, so I jumped at the chance to see at least a couple of things. State Street paid off, too, although I now have to find yet another space where I can hang up a print... :lol: As for the band, these guys just played covers, but they did it very well.

I'm happy you liked Madison. We really do have nice places here but kind of like to keep it to our selves so it doesn't get too crowded. May through September with October being hit or miss for weather.