What Top Gear USA is competing with.

It is competing with ?Dangerous Catch? & ?Dirty Jobs? not ?Autoweek.? Autoweek is a niche show which appeals to the tiny audience who want to see car stuff.
TopGear, if it is to succeed, must be a compelling show about three interesting, quirky guys who happen to play with cool cars and do wacky stuff with them.

The Motorweek narrator just oozes charisma, doesn't he. :rolleyes:

i quite like him actually, he has a good voice. also its made by PBS so its not that bad when you compare it too everything else on public television here. I agree Top Gear is not competing against this. Top Gear is a entertainment show involving cars. Motorweek (Which I like) is all about facts about cars and reviews, not entertainment

Oh, come on.

Unless you can tell me what day and time TG America will air on history AND you can tell me what EVERY OTHER CABLE AND BROADCAST CHANNEL WILL BE AIRING OPPOSITE -

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TG AMERICA IS COMPETING WITH.

I have to repeat myself:

NO VERSION OF TG WORLDWIDE IS WRITTEN AND PRODUCED FOR TG GEEKS.

It has to reach a broader audience.

Last edited:
I like MotorWeek. There's a reason it's been around for about 29 years. They are no nonsense and straight to the facts. This show has outlasted and will outlast a lot of other car shows.

I like MotorWeek. There's a reason it's been around for about 29 years. They are no nonsense and straight to the facts. This show has outlasted and will outlast a lot of other car shows.

Absolutley. MotorWeek is a great show that just gets down to the facts. I almost wish it was an hour long instead of just 30 minutes, I often find myself thinking at the end of the show "wow that half hour is gone already."

Absolutley. MotorWeek is a great show that just gets down to the facts. I almost wish it was an hour long instead of just 30 minutes, I often find myself thinking at the end of the show "wow that half hour is gone already."

Thirded, it's a pretty good show. :)

Tuesdays are the typical day when the shit shows air and people channel surf the most, or at least that's what I've been told, so hopefully it airs then to recieve as little competition as possible from big time shows.

Tuesdays are the typical day when the shit shows air and people channel surf the most, or at least that's what I've been told, so hopefully it airs then to recieve as little competition as possible from big time shows.

Tuseday is when Deadliest Catch airs. Going head to head with that will not be a good idea.

Motorweek is awesome if you possess some intellect and actually like cars. For breathing with your mouth open and drooling at the TV, it has little entertainment value. It's great for facts, and for who can rattle off engine displacements, zero to sixty times, and other such numbers, it is an entirely captivating show.

is it really competing with motorweek??? really the guy doesn't even drive the car if you look closely it's there own version of the stig.
All he does is read from a script givin to him by the car maker

Motorweek is a video version of a press release. It has its place, but it will not be competing with Top Gear.

Well, in Modern america it no longer matters what is on when.. DVR means that as long as it there aren't two things on at the same time.. that arent repeated ad nasum the day they broadcast than your safe. The real problem here is advertisers, it will be hard to get real review for cars on this show, though I do think that we will get better reviews for american cars, as Clarkson seems to be pathological about discounting anything that went to to Germany durance the Daimler Crysystler years, and heaven forbid mention American engineering into Vauxhaul or Ford. Hopefully the American hosts will be a little bit more price concous "Well yes this car costs twice what a good house costs more than that.. but it gets around a three mile track four seconds faster" and the absolute crap that is British Build Quality.. remember boys and girls a Jaguar will cost you four times the cost of an equivalent american.. Twice the amount for the car itself, and double again for the second one to drive wile the first is in the shop. The Belvue WA Aston Martin dealership actualy advertises that they prescreen for electrical problems, and fixes them before selling the car.... and bellive me they find them something that should clearly be found at the factory before shipping 8thousand miles .

It TGA is actually critical of the cars they review, and can channel some of that great charisma and slapstick style from the original presenters then I think the show will do just fine.

It absolutely cannot be a 30m commercial with gimmicks attached onto the front and back though.