What type of accent does James have?

Whereas Ausssies just have the one accent and if there is a few, they're nearly the same.

I beg to differ. Aussies have quite a few accents, but the differences are subtle ...

For instance, Queenslanders and people from the NT tend to have a bit of a drawl and use 'eh' as a verbal full stop. There's the whole castle/cassel thing. SA people have a distinct accent, too - they love the long 'a' in words like 'dance', 'castle' etc (i.e. 'daaaahnce', 'caaaaahsel' etc). And they overemphasise the letter 't'. You can pick an Adelaide accent from a mile away when compared to other Aussie accents.

Bogans sound pretty similar in most parts of Australia, but a bogan accent still sounds different from a more refined Aussie accent. Me? I have the Adelaide accent with a mild hint of bogan (none of this poncy long 'a' in 'dance' shit for me), only because I grew up in one of the large bogan colonies north of Adelaide, much to my chagrin. :|

The Adelaide accent (I also live there and had this explained to me once) can be attributed to the decidedly middle class gentry-ish beginnings of South Australia. It was expensive to move here originally, there were very few if any freed convicts with none being sent as prisoners, so for decades the first South Australians all came from those respectable parts of country Victorian England where there was plenty of money rather than the inner cities. Little wonder it's such a boring, retrogressive conservative place stuck in the past.

I love british accents. didnt really know much about the different accents beofre i realy started watching alot of british stuff. Top Gear, Snatch, Lock Stock. great accents in this stuff. Also Michiael Caine has a awesome accent.

with me being from the states and from the south, i know all about regional accents. weve got all different kinds around where im from, from completely neutral american to a real backwoods drawl. i dont really have much of a accent. people can tell im from the south but i dont sound like a hick. Y'all is my favorite word ever though.

Last edited:
I grew up in London but moved to Bristol two years ago, James' accent seems to be a combination of both (but slightly more inner-London). I've got a fairly similar accent to him, although he retains a slight more dignified London accent rather than my drawly Saarf Wess Landan accent.

Very interesting reading, this discussion--I'd been wondering about James' accent myself. I think I can generally hear differences in accents, but I wouldn't have any idea about how to place them. Thanks for all the cool info everyone's been posting in this thread.