What Was Dad's Worst Car?

One of these, it was a serious unreliable piece of crap

53218144_pr.jpg
Was it a diesel?

(Cadillac diesel - yeah, I want to arrive at my country club in my brand-new Cadillac trailing clouds of black smoke, and my engine sounding like it's about to shake itself to pieces. )

Was it a diesel?

(Cadillac diesel - yeah, I want to arrive at my country club in my brand-new Cadillac trailing clouds of black smoke, and my engine sounding like it's about to shake itself to pieces. )

I'm pretty sure you weren't in danger of arriving at a country club (or anywhere, for that matter) with a Cadillac diesel.

till i dont know 2000 or something

ah, the great thing is that I can't really remember my childhood years with the 2103, whether was it good or not, I can't remember. However the 2105 was much more of a car, but I hated it for one reason, someone offered my dad to either buy the 2105 or the Renault 19 (which was a brand new car at that time), and he chose the Lada :mad: , made me furious for many reasons.

Still, Lada is not the worst car, by any means it isn't for sure, just get a hammer and the fix is done but it had the same reliability and rust problems as just about every russian car - cheap steel.

I don't think there were any bad cars. My dad owned several Audis, two Miatas, a Triumph Spitfire, and a couple of Jeeps in my lifetime. The only bad cars he ever talks about is a TR-7 and a Capri.

A 1978 Ford Grenada. We called it the grenade. These are not the pics of the car we had. Ours was a god awful green color inside and out.

22569410004_large.jpg

22569410002_large.jpg

1981 Oldsmobile Toronado, bought new.

Luckily, he realized his mistake and got rid of it ASAP.

Easy, my dad's 1980 Pontiac Phoenix. My dad's first new car and one of the least dependable cars he's ever driven and was in the shop more often than the used beaten up Mercury Cougar he got as his first car. First things first, carburetor often got clogged meaning it didn't start every day. Next problem was down to the very poor build quality, apparently water was being collected inside and the car was corroding despite the clean exterior...GM in their infinite wisdom said it wasn't covered by warranty because it was rusting inside. Lastly it had a horrible habit of brake failure, there are times when the brakes failed the stop it forcing my dad to drive like a granny. It never got old enough to experience the other X-body problems like the suspension or tranny failures. As a car that only got 10,000 km a year on average it spent more time at the GM dealer than on the road. I haven't seen a Phoenix or its other X-body siblings in Toronto's streets in several years so I assume they're effectively extinct here.

A 1978 Ford Grenada. We called it the grenade. These are not the pics of the car we had. Ours was a god awful green color inside and out.

Was having a conversation with my neighbors yesterday and I found out they call their Ford Explorer the "Exploder".

:ROFL:

Was having a conversation with my neighbors yesterday and I found out they call their Ford Explorer the "Exploder".

:ROFL:

I thought that name was pretty universal.

Well, the one we had before the Alero, I guess:
Daewoo Racer. (basically an Opel Kadett)

Well, the one we had before the Alero, I guess:
Daewoo Racer. (basically an Opel Kadett)

The E-Kadett was not a bad car per se, but it's an 1984 design based on a 1979 design, which by the time Dawoo got their hands on it was horribly outdated.

ah, the great thing is that I can't really remember my childhood years with the 2103, whether was it good or not, I can't remember. However the 2105 was much more of a car, but I hated it for one reason, someone offered my dad to either buy the 2105 or the Renault 19 (which was a brand new car at that time), and he chose the Lada :mad: , made me furious for many reasons.

Still, Lada is not the worst car, by any means it isn't for sure, just get a hammer and the fix is done but it had the same reliability and rust problems as just about every russian car - cheap steel.

Beleve me we thought that only russians made bad cars, untill we bought 2004 Hiunday terracan ...
Hyundai_Terracan_Sweden_002.jpg
and we still have it . We live near ?iauliai, and to get it fixed you have to transport it to either Kaunas or Vilnius

Things wrong with it:
Changed the whole fuel delivery system twice
If they fix 4x4 system it breakes after one month
The rear dif sounds awfull - its like driving a gaz or somthing (uuuuuuu uuu uu uuu ) :D
The seats are slipery the automatic gearbox is clunky ...
But when everything is working it is a good car (good offroad capabilities smooth ride ac el windows and all that shit )

And the ladas hmm .. they had bad steering and a lot of technical problems , but you never had to bring it to service or something to get it fixed.It was that simple ..

My grandfather had 2103 then my father had it after he crashed his vw passat b2
My uncle had lada 2101 as his first car served him for long years too..
My father had lada samara (sold it to russians afterwards) lada niva (work car) the uaz truck(work car) :)

Beleve me we thought that only russians made bad cars, untill we bought 2004 Hiunday terracan ...
Hyundai_Terracan_Sweden_002.jpg
The only people who bought that here were caravanners. Everyone else realised that it was just an ancient Mitsubishi Pajero with a bonnet scoop. The upside to that was it was cheap and great off-road, but I still have never seen one without a caravan/tow bar/extended mirrors.

Hood scoops add at least 50 hp, you know.
Even on a diesel with a caravan? Must be why they were popular :p

dads 660c Perodua Kancil in horrble condition, which he still has :(

Ancient Citroen C35, that thing was so loud inside, I'd be deaf for a couple of minutes after getting out.

c35_eb11.jpg

In my lifetime? His 2001 Jeep Cherokee(usa model I might add as the euro version is the american jeep liberty). Every weekend he wants to get wood chips or long timbers or some weekend project but he struggles doing all that with a small 4x4 like that. He had a 1992 Ford Ranger and that suited him perfectly for such projects, but alas my brother crashed it. :(