What would be a good car for my parents?

bry789123

They want to spend <$30,000 on a sedan. They are leaning towards the Toyota Camry despite the fact that they just rented a new one while the old one was in repair and hated it:?. Its the only car they know. It has to be available in Northeastern USA btw.

Ford Fusion, Mazda 6, Honda Accord, Subaru Legacy. Any of those should be fine for parents looking for a sedan.

Golf VI

No but seriously, tell them that 33% of people who commit suicide drive a beige Camry. Make them get a Mazda 6 or a Passat or something.

Last edited:
V6 Altima comes to mind, too.

Assuming it has to be a new car, that is.

With incentives, the V6 Hyundai Genesis sedan just squeaks under the price limit and is probably a better car than all that have been mentioned so far. The warranty is certainly better than anything else.

Last edited:
Infiniti G37 sedan starts at 33k.... Probably too expensive?

Bmw doesn't sell below the 328, else I'd suggest the 320 perhaps.

If I had $30k to drop on a car I MOST CERTAINLY wouldn't buy a fcking Camry. That's like paying for a gourmet meal and getting Chef Boyardee.

Impreza.
Legacy.
Mazda 6.
Taurus.

ANYTHING that doesn't have a god damned Toyota sticker on it, really.

Used Pontiac GTO ;) I threatened not to speak to my father again if he didn't buy one. Worked well!

^Your dad bought a Monaro? :D

Last edited:
What type of car are they looking for? I assume they don't care too much for sportiness if they were considering a Toyota.

You can get a fully decked out Fusion, or a good Taurus for under $30k.

Or for under $15k a pristine late model MGB with a 4L Rover V8 swap. :p

Last edited:
They could get an Avalon from Toyota (albeit a base model) for just under $30K. Avalon is a much much better car than the Camry, and you get good reliability with the Toyota. My mom owns an '03 Avalon with over 70K miles and it still runs like a charm...great little car.

The problem with the Avalon is it's now the official care of the AARP. How old are parents and/or concerned with image?

The problem with the Avalon is it's now the official care of the AARP. How old are parents and/or concerned with image?
To be honest, my parents couldn't care less who thinks they're old or boring...as long as they don't have to pay top dollar for constant maintenance and it looks and works good, they're happy. Good question for OP though, if his parents want to look young, forget the Avalon.

To be honest, my parents couldn't care less who thinks they're old or boring...as long as they don't have to pay top dollar for constant maintenance and it looks and works good, they're happy. Good question for OP though, if his parents want to look young, forget the Avalon.

My dad drives a Caddy DTS (ok so he won it in a contest so it was free but still). He makes fun of the Avalon almost as much as he makes fun of his own car. Some parents care, some don't.

There is (was?) one singular advantage to that Avalon though. It used to be the only car on the market with a flat dash, i.e. no "hump" over the instrument panel. This made it literally the only car my VERY short grandmother was able to drive. She was under 5' and had to look through the steering wheel and sit on a cushion. I don't know if they still have this though.

Last edited:
^That. Your parents need powrrrrr and style. Not four doors and reliability.

Mazda6 or Mazdaspeed6

Anything that isn't a Camry.. I think the Passat probably has more of the refinement people who think they want Toyotas actually want.

Only thing I'd check on the Passat first, is the VIN. Make sure it starts in W. If it starts with a number 3, run, because it was made in Mexico.