What would you do with $1,500,000,000.00

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Since there was no winner in the $900,000,000, 44-state Powerball lottery last night, the estimate is that the next jackpot will be $1,500,000,000.

With "normal" jackpots, everyone always mentions travel, property, or maybe buying a bunch of cars, or guitars, or a big yacht, or whatever their passion is whenever asked about what they would do if they won.

However, 1.5 billion dollars opens doors that aren't available to even someone with, say, $20 million. You could have serious political power, you could end a disease, you could buy countries, etc.

So...with that said, what would you do with $1,500,000,000.00US?

For the sake of keeping the conversation on-track, just ignore the taxes on the winnings or the difference between annuity or cash payout, etc. Just assume you get all of the money in one comically-oversized novelty check.

Last edited:
Literally the first thing I would want to do is find out how much interest I can get on it. Which I would do while on the way to buy a Range Rover. That's as far as I would plan, then probably pass out at the thought of what else I could do.

I'd probably invent something that is ultimately not going to make any money but is useful.

• Pay off my parents' mortgage.
  • Pay off my student loans.
  • Pay off my girlfriend's student loans.
  • Cut my father a check to get his start-up company going.
  • Buy a house in the Boston suburbs - nothing insane, 3-4 bedrooms, but with 5+ acres of land and space for a barn/garage.
  • My parents get to pick a house as well, of course.
  • Invest in real estate.
  • Spread a decent portion across offshore and Swiss banks for safekeeping.
  • Figure out how much I can make off the interest for a comfortable not-too-lavish lifestyle and deposit that much into a US bank or, preferably, local credit union.
  • Donate the rest to the Trump campaign.................... Just kidding! Donate the rest to charity anonymously. It would probably be several hundred million.

Last edited:
Buy my way into America.

Buy two houses, a handful of cars, a new motorcycle. Set up trust funds for my nieces' education. And invest the rest in a way that gives me enough interest to live off it for the rest of my life. So, exactly the same as with $50,000,000, only that with over a billions dollars, I could afford some ethical guidelines in what to invest, so I'd try not to finance things I don't like.

Last edited:
I would relocate to a country with no extradition treaties, buy the cooperation of the government then sit back and enjoy the climate while having a huge number of assholes who truly deserved it killed to death.

-Give half to my father, with explicit instructions: "STOP WORKING! GO ENJOY YOUR LIFE"
-Give some to close friends and relatives.
-Move to Scandinavia. Denmark, most likely.
-Build a resort/racetrack like Ascari, but private.
-Buy a bunch of cars so me and my friends can race and enjoy the resort/race track.
-Learn how to wrench on cars and motorcycles.
-Learn blacksmithing (hey, I am gonna need hobbies...)
-Fund a few charities. Carefuly.

I'd give some money around the family and closest friends, that's my no.1 on the "what would I do with the money could have won in a lottery if I actually had bought a ticket first" list.

With a jackpot this size, I'd probably think of two main options for the place no.2:
- either fund development and production of a car I designed myself, most likely losing all the money this way :p
- or build a gearhead resort with a private racetrack, car museum (no ultra-rare concours queens, just "normally" desirable classics that could be rented to drive on the roads or the track), restoration workshop and a restaurant. I might lose less money this way :D

No. 3. and further: House (self designed), a few cars, a bit of traveling, etc...

No charity funding from the prize money. Only from the investment profits, if there are any.

Get my health checked not just an NHS version (Good thought it is) but a 5 star version for billionaires.
Get myself some nice property around the world - only about 7 should do.
Get Private plane (Big bugger capable of doing the Atlantic) - but most importantly have a real go at curing Cancer(s) - try to get all the teams together and, money no object, facilities.
Oh and fund some college scholarships in Science, Medicine and Maths in the best Universities in the world.

The usual stuff like everyone else ...

Buy:
- House
- Cars
- Wife

Do:
Probably i'd go traveling a lot, like ... the rest of my life.
Donate some to actual charities.
Give a fair amount to sister for her so she can buy a house and real car.
Like DanRom, set up a trust for my niece.
Invest in land and companies.

I actually wouldn't buy a private plane, instead I'd rent one when required. For shorter distances and with the time inevitably on my hands for travel, I'd much prefer to travel by car or train whenever possible, that way actually seeing the countries I travel through. So, one of my first purchases would be a BahnCard 100 (German railway flatrate) 1st class...

- or build a gearhead resort with a private racetrack, car museum (no ultra-rare concours queens, just "normally" desirable classics that could be rented to drive on the roads or the track), restoration workshop and a restaurant. I might lose less money this way :D

<highfive>

Oh and fund some college scholarships in Science, Medicine and Maths in the best Universities in the world.

Oh, I like that idea.

Like many folk here cars would be something I'd really want. Nothing crazy, a GT350R, a 5.0 Mustang for the wife and a nice Super Duty to pull the GT350R with. I'd want a nice 20-25 acre wooded lot somewhere to build a modest house and a honking great shop (with a fricking lift). I would also hire a personal trainer to finally loose some damned weight. I'd also probably splurge a bit and buy a nice diesel pusher motor coach to do some traveling. I would also get back to school and get a degree in something, that way if it would all fail, I'd have something to fall back on.

I would setup my parents and grand parents with all they would need. This raises a bit of an odd question though, you know your cousins, aunts and uncles would all come slinking around wanting a handout. What would be a way for them to earn it? A few of my aunts I wouldn't have a problem with buying them a car or something they needed, they have always been nice to me and I'd like to return the favor. The rest of them have always thought of me as the weird one and don't have much to say to me.

I would set $5m back to rebuild the racetrack my dad owns, give something back to the racers that have supported us over the last 17 years.

The remainder I'd split one quarter to charities and the rest setup with investments to have a yearly income to live on.

I've finally thought of the proper way to spend a big chunk of the 1.3bn: Buy the 'Ring.

I don't think I'd go too crazy. Set myself and my family up pretty good, probably using the structure I outline below for my relatives. I'd probably spend the biggest chunks on land and other income producing investments and then have it set to pass to a charitable trust when I die.

I would setup my parents and grand parents with all they would need. This raises a bit of an odd question though, you know your cousins, aunts and uncles would all come slinking around wanting a handout. What would be a way for them to earn it? A few of my aunts I wouldn't have a problem with buying them a car or something they needed, they have always been nice to me and I'd like to return the favor. The rest of them have always thought of me as the weird one and don't have much to say to me.

I've heard of trusts that have been set up so the distributions to the beneficiaries are based on the W2 income of the beneficiary. You could set one up to do a 1:1 or 2:1 match, so if one earns $40,000 a year, the trust would kick in another $40,000 or $80,000, but if they earn nothing for themselves, they don't get a penny.

Hire Jason Bourne to kill Elon Musk and frame Donald Trump.

edit: the opposite scenario would work just as well.

Reactions: MWF
So, 1.2 of 1.3 billion gone? :tease:

I've finally thought of the proper way to spend a big chunk of the 1.3bn: Buy the 'Ring.

I never said I would buy the cars in Denmark. ;)

Also, buying the Ring crossed my mind, but the whining, bitching, moaning etc. might be too much.

Welcome to running a racetrack.

Well, yeah, but when it's the FRIGGING NORDSCHLEIFE everything is bigger, harder and whinier.