• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

What would you get for 6 grand?

Militant-Grunt

Car(s)
Audi S6 2.2T
In about a year I shall be purchasing my first car. Im about 6 foot 3'' so I cannot have a small car ( just about rules out any 3 series sized car. )
My price range will most likely be around 6k and then some for repairs.

Im thinking of a E34 BMW 535i or 540i. If I get lucky maybe a E39 528i. All with manual trannies..

Im looking for something with a blend of performance and a drivers car, as well as realibility.

So the question is: What would you buy for 6 grand?

1995 Land Rover Dicovery
2001 Mercedes ML 55 //AMG

So those arent yours?

As a first car I'd buy a Honda or Toyota or something. I don't think BMWs, especially used ones, are that reliable.

Re: What would you get for 6 grand?

Militant-Grunt said:
A bank account.

Viper007Bond said:
Militant-Grunt said:
A bank account.

Good advice man, but as far as cars are concerned, I would defenitely go for a japanese option, such as a Toyota, Honda, or Subaru. Very reliable and fun to drive as well.

in about a year?
geez man, wait atleast 11.5 months before posting a thread like this...a year is a long time to be thinking of getting a used car...

Good point: you'll find a good deal and it will be gone next week :) But, you're probably not starting to look for cars now, just thinking about what you might want.

Mazda MX-5. Got to work on one today, and it's a neat little car.

justin.parker said:
SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
justin syder said:
1995 Land Rover Dicovery
2001 Mercedes ML 55 //AMG

So those arent yours?
I'm curious aswell???? :shock:

parents maybe?

Bingo. Ml 55 Dad's, Disco Mom's, The disco might be a hand me down.. but meh.. im used to the mercedes and its godly power. ( for an suv.. )

Psst.. im going to be 18 in September, anyone want to make some donations? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Viper007Bond said:
Militant-Grunt said:
A bank account.

I got one of those... lol. I just want suggestions so I start looking at prices and start reading up on the car I might want to buy..

So IDEAS!>?

Like I said, buy an Integra or something... it'll serve you well. The BMW is not going to cost you $6.000 because you'll have to start paying out of your ass for repairs and stuff.

If you buy a used BMW, you need to set aside at least $2000 for initial repairs. Look up the costs of parts on those things. They're as high as the Glockenspiel in Munich! Don't expect it to be a cheap car to own.
I have a friend who bought a 525i not too long ago. I can ask him specific questions if you have any.

Even if you buy a smaller car, you can go with an aftermarket seat that will be lower than stock. You may have to buy a custom rail or cut one to make it sit low.

I think it's a brilliant idea to start thinking about it a year in advance. Do a lot of research so you won't make a stupid impulse buy. Know everything about the car before you go out and check them out. (reliability history, maintanence costs, areas of weakness, etc.)

craigslist.org is a nice site. I bought my second car off there for really cheap.
With any used car, it's wise to set aside $1000 or so for repairs. Owners aren't usually 100% honest about problems.

You can buy a high performance car from Europe. You can also buy a Japanese car you will never have to fix. It's up to you if you have a second mode of transportation or not. With my '71 Datsun, it took a whole year before I found every problem to make it 100% reliable. During that time, I was lucky to have nice roommates that gave me rides.

I can't speak for New York, but here in Michigan you can buy a good Japanese car for 6 grand that you won't have to work on or repair. Heck, I've bought Japanese cars for under 1 grand that I didn't have to do anything to.

Militant-Grunt said:
Im about 6 foot 3'' so I cannot have a small car ( just about rules out any 3 series sized car.

:?:

I'm 6 foot 2 and I highly doubt that an additional inch would make such a huge difference! I fit in almost every car, VW Golfs (even on the back seat of a Mk 2 for instance), VW Polos, and so on and so forth. A BMW 3 series has plenty of room!

I've got a friend who is something like 6 foot 7 and even he doesn't have any problems to fit in a VW Golf!

cya
Oliver

When I sit in a 3 series There is about 1-2 inches of space above my head, I feel cramped inside the car... Ive decided that the 5 is the best, I love the great seating position for my height and the space. Two small cars that have the absolute best driving positions would be the C class sedan and the G35 Sedan. Just perfect, but I cannot afford those =/

i got my 240 fully loaded with leather, 6 speaker sterio, vlsd, 16 inch alloys with 70k on it for 6000 out the door. i got it in janurary and not one thing has broken on it. i would highly suggest that car. great aftermarket support and handles like a dream.

btw im 6'5"