What would you propose Andy Wilman as a Top Gear challenge?

You know what? I really like that idea. I'm a bit of a foodie myself and that has a certain appeal. Also they have had three celebrity chefs in the history of the show who would pair quite naturally as follows:

Clarkson - Gordon Ramsey (cue lots of swearing and shouting)
Hammond - Jamie Oliver

May - Anthony Worrall Thompson (he made Jeremy's hair omelette but hasn't been a SIARPC. Irritating little man who would get right on James' tits. Once described by Gordon Ramsey as looking "like a squashed Bee Gee"!)

Unlike Heather Mills this idea might have legs!

As for the safety issue remember past shows have featured the consumption of:
1. Food cooked on an engine.
2. Golden snow.
3. Hair Omelette
4. Beef and Brick Smoothies
5. Apple run over by a Merc C63
6. BBQ'd squirrel and roadkill steak (unconfirmed)

I like this, though I'd probably switch the ones in bold because 1. Jeremy's recent gay-male-bonding bit with Will Young, and 2. I get the feeling Richard would probably kill Jamie Oliver (although that may not be a bad thing).

London to the Nurburgring

Hammond and May would take a train to Brussels, then to Cologne Germany. From there May and Hammond would rent a car (under 250 HP) and drive to the ring. Clarkson would be driving the Koenigsegg CCX with Top Gear Wing. When arriving at the ring, each team would have to complete a lap around the ring (in there respective vehicles) and meet at the finish line. The winner is the first to cross the line.

I hope nothing like that every happens. The TG vs. DMotor thing was awful and I don't care about the other versions wasting UK TG time when we could have proper challenges or maybe some cars.

I loved that episode, as did many others if the episode discussion and end of season poll can be trusted. I hope there are more challenges like these, be it TG Australia, TG US, Best Motoring, D MOTOR (preferably World War III with all of the previously mentioned).

I'd love a fairly simple Swiss army knife of cars challenge. Could be sports car, station wagon and off-roader (no SUV) facing track, off-road and hauling contests. Everyone gets some money and 24 hours to prepare for each contest or just 1 prep for all contests whatever works better, once modified the component may not be changed back. The sports car driver could get a hitch and camper for the hauling contest, r-compounds on the off-roader etc.

I think i might have come up with an idea. Again going back to the america road-trip episode, in particular the part where the each paint a slogan on one another's car. What if they were to buy one another a car for 1000 pounds that was an embarrassment to drive. The presenters would then be handed a set of challenges that would only add to their embarrassment and hatred of one another. The winner would be the one who could get the most points without being killed, arrested or stranded at the side of the road.

or how about this : the same car challenge as usual, but they choose each other's cars and budgets.
The twist is this : they don't know who will end up using the car they'll buy....

That! I would love to see!:D Hope they'll make a challenge like that:)

Like a backward version of a version of Top Gear secret Santa then. :D

That's GENIUS, so they go out buying total scrap heaps.

Arrive at the first challenge to be told that actually the directors had changed their mind and they'd be driving their own car.

The shit car challenge

or how about this : the same car challenge as usual, but they choose each other's cars and budgets.
The twist is this : they don't know who will end up using the car they'll buy....

:+1: That would be seriously entertaining!

Well, here's a thought:

2009 will be the 50th anniversary of the M-1 motorway.

To celebrate, the lads borrow (or buy) three cars of 1959 vintage for a race down the M-1. Or they could do the trip in an Austin Mini, which also celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2009.

2009 is also the 50th birth-year for comedian Hugh Laurie. SIARPC would be a good birthday gift, right?

Last edited:
Or, if you want 25th anniversaries, try a People Carrier race between the Dodge Caravan and the Renault Espace, both introduced in 1984.

Similar to the "shit car challenge" :D idea in a way, something that I've had in my head for a while is that each of them chooses one of the other's own cars for the third one to drive (e.g. James chooses one of Jeremy's cars for Richard to drive etc.). They wouldn't know what they were expected to do with them until after the cars were chosen, so they wouldn't know whether the choice would help or hinder the driver (unless the car was specifically chosen to piss them off, but I couldn't see any of them doing a thing like that, could you?). There would then be a variety of tests, followed by a massive argument heated debate as they figure out a) who has the best car and b) who's paying for the damage :-?

OK, that may not go well, thinking about it. But it was a thought :)

i really like how my idea evolved into the shit car challenge. I definitely think that it would be madly entertaining. What challenges could they do that would test both presenter and car?

Blindfold driving around a banked course would be good. if the steering is any good they should be able to feel the corners through the wheel. :)

Seeing Mika giving James rally lessons gave me an idea...

Top Gear goes rallying.

Each presenter is given a budget, is told to go out and buy a car they feel suitable for rallying, then modify it however they please with what's left over. (Obviously, safety equipment does not count towards their budget). They are then given a randomly chosen co-driver, and entered in a rally.

I expect something along the lines of this, most likely from Jeremy...

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/am/amtgman/2008/11/19/oops.jpg
This also gives you an idea of how much I still have to learn in Richard Burns Rally...

Yes, this, do it Andy.