What would you propose Andy Wilman as a Top Gear challenge?

Am I the only one who read this thread as: 'Would you propose to Andy Wilman as a Top Gear Challenge?'

Dress up as a cheap Alfa and bend on one knee?

Right. I'm ...going.

What, I am not sure but where - South America. I'd love them to do something with that great waterfall, or in the Andes - Condors FTW.

I've always wondered how they'd do in the Gumball 3000 Rally...
that would be soooooooooooo good!!!
[or so i'd like to think! :]

Yeah that was the first thing i could think of! They could do something like a roadtrip! God there would be some very sweet cars!!!!

Some of the others mentioned this already, but I like the idea of the team competing in at least 3 or 4 stages of the Dakar Rally.

Dakar has everything...danger, suspense, exotic locations, and the team all look a tit trying to compete in what is arguably the most challenging rally in the world.

Cheap Estate Challenge
Cheap Hot Hatch Challenge
Run Out Of Petrol First Challenge
Almost no motor oil cheap car Challenge
Can an Renault Espace do 14 seconds in the Quarter Mile Challenge
Top Gear Stuntman Longest Powersilde with a Caravan
Cheap 4x4 (mostly) off road Challenge
Collison Avoidance Challenge

Oooh, a cheap 4x4 challenge would be brilliant, too. :nod:

Cheap 4x4 across Australia?
Nothing that dramatic.. A simple cheap cheap car challenge filmed in the UK...

Budget ?500

Fuel Economy Run
Simple fuel economy run.. in low range, with the diffs locked.

Modifications
Now that the presenters have some experience of their vehicles they can use the money left over from their purchase as well as an additional ?13.59 (what the producers found down the back of the sofa) to improve their cars.

Hide the body
We all know that the typical owner of an old 4x4 sees murdering as a hobby. It is therefore important that you can drive far into a forest to dump the body. Each presenter is provided with a body (researcher wrapped in carpet) and has to deposit them in the most remote place they can get to. They will be tracked by the police so time is of the essence.

Street Cred
The coolness of a 4x4 is directly proportional to the weight of mud carried on it's body work. Each of the cars is weighed, the winner is the presenter who can gain the most weight after destroying some countryside.

A trip to the pub
Simple really, drive to the pub in the village of Copehill Down without using roads. Once the survivors arrive they will discover that the pub is in fact a shell used by the army for training.

A trip from the pub
Having annoyed the army, try to escape Salisbury Plain being chased by tanks. (Do these last so that one of the 4x4s can be crushed).

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF

I like it, though I think it would be cooler to put a HEAT round into the vehicle instead of driving over it.

Or maybe each vehicle can have it's own death - one is crushed, another is shot, and the third is machine-gunned (ala the LS400 in JC's Thriller).

The Top 10 Challenge Proposals to Andy Wilman:

10. The Whiskey Trail (using American repmobiles)
9. The Obama Service Challenge -- restore a cheap car that could be used for the Presidential entourage
8. The Reasonably-Priced Car Challenge -- each presenter picks a new production car that would replace the Chevrolet Lacetti for next year
7. The Cheap Hybrid Challenge -- convert a cheap car to run on petrol AND electricity, and test same
6. The New Bessie / Whomobile Challenge -- re-work a cheap car into something that would appeal to the newest Time Lord
5. The Housewives Challenge -- test out cars that appeal to housewives, by having the presenters' wives do the testing. (James May's muse, Woman, would qualify here.)
4. The M Challenge -- identify which one of BMW's M cars would be most appreciated by Dame Judi Dench
3. The MX5 / MG challenge -- find a cheap MG to go head-to-head against an original Miata
2. The Nova Scotia Winter Challenge -- production cars to attempt the John Cabot Trail, between November and February
1. The Route 66 Caravan Challenge -- find a vehicle/caravan combination for the run from Chicago to Malibu, for under $7000

Dear Andy:

How about they get fined 5 pounds per recycled joke? Then they get that total subtracted from the next Cheap Car Challenge.

Budget ?500

Fuel Economy Run
Simple fuel economy run.. in low range, with the diffs locked.

Modifications
Now that the presenters have some experience of their vehicles they can use the money left over from their purchase as well as an additional ?13.59 (what the producers found down the back of the sofa) to improve their cars.

Hide the body
We all know that the typical owner of an old 4x4 sees murdering as a hobby. It is therefore important that you can drive far into a forest to dump the body. Each presenter is provided with a body (researcher wrapped in carpet) and has to deposit them in the most remote place they can get to. They will be tracked by the police so time is of the essence.

Street Cred
The coolness of a 4x4 is directly proportional to the weight of mud carried on it's body work. Each of the cars is weighed, the winner is the presenter who can gain the most weight after destroying some countryside.

A trip to the pub
Simple really, drive to the pub in the village of Copehill Down without using roads. Once the survivors arrive they will discover that the pub is in fact a shell used by the army for training.

A trip from the pub
Having annoyed the army, try to escape Salisbury Plain being chased by tanks. (Do these last so that one of the 4x4s can be crushed).

That's spot on. Are you listening Andy? :lol:

I honestly think an Australian special would be a killer
a trip across one of the deserts. It doesnt necessarily need to be a race because the challenges faced would be best faced together, sort of like in botswana.
It would be hard, hot, sweaty, cars would overheat and for added excitement the cars could be given a limited amount of fuel which they would have to cherish like water

That obviously would be a special
as for a segment, i think an indestructable car would be a good one
grab a car and spend a set budget to make it indestructable
then test it. Shoot at it, drop things on it and maybe even blow it up
they could do it all together or buy a car each and make a challenge of it
in a challenge situation the extent to which the cars hold up in different challenges could earn them points and so on

i think those ideas could work. And i definately think we'll be seeing an Australian challenge one day. It seems too good an idea to miss

In time for Halloween this year, how about a Top Gear Zombie challenge?

Each of them gets 1500 pounds (or some other small amount) to buy a car to use in case of a zombie apocalypse, and must outfit it to survive hordes of zombies, but only with things they find for free or in a junkyard (since nobody would be alive to take cash).

Then challenges could be things like having to smash through a bunch mannequins (aka zombies) or something else solid to test their car's durability, they have to rescue an attractive woman and escape to test speed and maneuverability, or something along those lines.

Bonus points awarded for every functional chainsaw or shotgun attached to the car.

They each choose and stick to a car manufacturer. Then they choose any model/type for each of a series of challenges...

:D

actually i was wondering the other day about a challenge where they had to travel a set distance each using the same car, same amount of fuel and so on, obviously each presenter has a different driving style and method and would have to try and outsmart the other.
not exactly the well thought out challenge and just one i came up with while killing time during another SIARPC on a dave repeat of Top Gear.

scrap car challenge, the guys get ?1000 to buy, mot and drive a previously scrapped car. Then they see just how much motoring they can get out of their ?1000 by driving until the cars finally die, I wonder how far into Europe they could get.

of course, there could be challenges like:

1. Earn Kudos with your car at a UK cruise night (to prove old cars are still cool)
2. Drive round the bowl @ millbrook for 8 hrs at high speed (to prove old cars reliabily)
3. (if they get there) take the cars round the 'ring (to... finally kill the old bangers :p)

Last edited: