What would you propose Andy Wilman as a Top Gear challenge?

scrap car challenge, the guys get ?1000 to buy, mot and drive a previously scrapped car. Then they see just how much motoring they can get out of their ?1000 by driving until the cars finally die, I wonder how far into Europe they could get.

of course, there could be challenges like:

1. Earn Kudos with your car at a UK cruise night (to prove old cars are still cool)
2. Drive round the bowl @ millbrook for 8 hrs at high speed (to prove old cars reliabily)
3. (if they get there) take the cars round the 'ring (to... finally kill the old bangers :p)

*Ahem*

Here's one: the Cat D challenge.

Every so often flicking through autotrader you come across an amazing car at a too good to be true price. Suddenly all becomes clear when you read the small print at the end stating Cat D (Category D, insurance write off). But it seems such a waste of quite often lightly damaged exotic cars... and it could be a really cheap way to get a good car.

Similar principal to the Avantime, find the market value of the uncrashed car, halve it and give the presenters that much cash to repair and improve their car.

I think this is rather ambitious, but what about the Dakar rally? Each presenter could have their own vehicle and an expert navigator/shared driver.

It would be absolutely epic and so challenging.

Dakar could make a good "Special" episode. It might be ambitious as an in-episode Challenge.

However, some type of "cheap car challenge" based on a silly rally with old Audi's and Evo's would be cool, IMO.

or how about this : the same car challenge as usual, but they choose each other's cars and budgets.
The twist is this : they don't know who will end up using the car they'll buy....

just do this instead of all the other silly proposals. Ithangyou

I'd love to see a challenge involving 4x4's. As far as I can recall, we haven't had any proper off-roaders partake in a Top Gear challenge as of yet. Give the presenters off-roaders from the eighties or nineties and watch them argue about which is best.

Luckily, the world of proper 4x4-vehicles has three champions:

- The Land Rover Defender, which should be driven by Richard Hammond, as we know he loves it to bits.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser, which should be driven by James May, as it is the most civilized and comfortable 4x4, and he can appreciate that sort of thing.
- The Jeep Wrangler, which should be driven by Jeremy Clarkson, as the Jeep happens to come with a petrol V8, which has lots of powerrrrrr.

Just a thought...

Last edited:
Have the presenters come up with a "Scrapyard Supercar" aka Supercar bits found/borrowed/stolen and made into cars of their own at a limited budget from scratch, and there given a budget to spend that on paying for the parts themselves and the mechanics to build the cars together etc.
Then at the end the presenters have to race/test the cars and the ones with the best performance wins.

I'd love to see a challenge involving 4x4's. As far as I can recall, we haven't had any proper off-roaders partake in a Top Gear challenge as of yet. Give the presenters off-roaders from the eighties or nineties and watch them argue about which is best.

- The Land Rover Defender, which should be driven by Richard Hammond, as we know he loves it to bits.
- The Toyota Land Cruiser, which should be driven by James May, as it is the most civilized and comfortable 4x4, and he can appreciate that sort of thing.
- The Jeep Wrangler, which should be driven by Jeremy Clarkson, as the Jeep happens to come with a petrol V8, which has lots of powerrrrrr.

Just a thought...

I would think the the Jeep will go to the Hamster because he's the closet American, Landcruiser to Jezza because he has actually bought one, and the Lad Rover to James because it will really suit him ( a very british car for a very british bloke)

Last edited:
Top Gear v. Norwegians to South Pole
TG in a Jag X-Type 4wd, Norwegians in Volvo XC70.

Top Gear v. Norwegians to South Pole
TG in a Jag X-Type 4wd, Norwegians in Volvo XC70.

that'd be boring. The Norwegians would win in every way possible, while the Brits would just crash or drive too fast, and die.

Another one I was thinking of is see who can build the best remote-controlled flying car-plane. Build the Car-planes so there easy to assemble/disassemble. Take them to some remote hillside and have a Target at the bottom of the valley that the presenters have to try and fly the cars to.
The car-planes can either be gliders or powered flight, I think for safety reasons gliders would be the better option though. If none of the cars make it to the Target, points will be awarded for anyone who's car starts first.

Another one I was thinking of is see who can build the best remote-controlled flying car-plane. Build the Car-planes so there easy to assemble/disassemble. Take them to some remote hillside and have a Target at the bottom of the valley that the presenters have to try and fly the cars to.
The car-planes can either be gliders or powered flight, I think for safety reasons gliders would be the better option though. If none of the cars make it to the Target, points will be awarded for anyone who's car starts first.

I don't think this one would ever happen... partly because it's massively complex for little reward but mostly because the CAA would tell them to f'off.

I think they should do a man on the street driving lesson challenge. Each person gets to grab one random person off the street and try to teach them the fastest way 'round the track in the RPC. Then they get the chance to rotate and improve or distract the other presenter's person... I dunno, it could be fun.

Oh!! What if they did this with London taxi drivers???

A great idea for a "How hard could it be challenge" would be "Building a high performance snow plow, how hard could it be?"

The though being all snow plows are either some crappy converted pickup truck or jeep of some kind which are slow and too large. Why not build them out of some faster more "exotic" cars :) And most importantly they should shoot it here in Canada!!!

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

Think that after the Vietnam special, that Richard & James should do a long distance Road Trip on proper motorbikes, like the BMWs that Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman used on their round the world & Africa trips. Probably have to be 650s or 800s, because the GS1250s are too heavy and big for Hammond & probably unnecessary anyway.

I would suggest that Anchorage, Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, Chile would do nicely. :)

Just a thought...

As far as I know, the Wrangler has never had a petrol V8. There have been other models called CJ's that came with V8's, however. The current Wrangler comes with a 3.8 liter V6. In the past, Wranglers were available with a four cylinder, of which I forget the displacement, and a 4.0 liter V6.

- The Jeep Wrangler, which should be driven by Jeremy Clarkson, as the Jeep happens to come with a petrol V8, which has lots of powerrrrrr

And where are Top Gear going to get cash for this decadent capitalist excess?

It's like saying "I know, we'll have a cheap car challenge, with a Mondeo, Vectra and Passat."

Sicne they've been banging on so much about the Dacia Sandero, what they should do is The Dacia Challenge; they come here, each one gets $2000 to buy an old Dacia, with spare cash to modify it as much as possible, and then a series of challenges, like fuel economy and reliability, a bit of handling (if they can find an operational kart track), and then trying to sell it on.

that'd be boring. The Norwegians would win in every way possible, while the Brits would just crash or drive too fast, and die.
No norwegian would use a car to go to the south pole :p

A round the world challange stretching the whole series,10-20 episodes, they can only use cars and have to modify their car to get over water.