What you would like to see on TG

The Le Mans car. The road car is a bit boring. They should not even try to make a supercar. They own Lamborghini anyway. They should go and buy a Formula 1 team and race together with the other manufacturer in F1. They are already a success at prototype sportscar races. To be honest, i think Top Gear is perfect the way they are. They don't need to find a new formula to be a success. It is already good enough. I do like the stunt and maybe one or two review of the cars. I am still waiting for the Ferrari 599GTB to be reviewed. I hope Jeremy Clarkson would review it.

How about doing up either a naff car to make it look cool or getting a formerly cool car at a knock down price and taking it to Kristen Scott-Thomas's pad in Paris to decide who has the coolest? Something like that.

Kristen Scott Thomas is hot. :lol: That is actually a good idea, actually a lot of suggestion on the Final Gear forum has good ideas. It depend on whether the Top Gear crew to actually read it and use the idea. 8)

one word: TESLA

all electric, 0-60 in 4 seconds, top speed breaking 130 mph, made in conjunction with lotus, all that and it can go 250 miles before charging, so it is actually comparable to most road cars

Oh, that and it has a flat (and BIG) torque curve due to its being electric, so it's gonna be one o' those lets-see-if-we-can-tear-jeremy's-face-off deals. Apparently, to convince potential customers in a test drive, the guys from tesla motors put the guy in the passenger seat and ask 'em to change the radio station...then they stomp on the accelerator and watch them try and pry the back of their head out of the trunk :mrgreen:

I want Top Gear to finally review the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo.

I want Top Gear to finally review the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo.

I second that. In fact, why not give them a road trip, in three specialty American Cars. Saleen S7 TT, the Mosler, and because it will be slower, give James the Panoz.

And why not have some truly goofy cars, like the kings of electric cars, the Tesla and the wonderful Japanese Eliica.

Also, lets have a proper review of the new Porsche 911 Turbo, instead of a weak road review. Ferrari 599 is a must. And the new TGV train just set a new speed record; sounds like a race is in order. This last series was so light, they need to come strong for season 10.

And I don't see why we don't have a long-wheel base car review. Do it like this. Each presenter drives 1/3 of the way of a long trip in thier chosen cars while the other 2 sit in the back in opulent luxury. Let Jeremy drive the A8L, give Hammond a Maybach, and make James drive the Lexus LS460 Hybrid. And whoever is driving needs to have a cheufer's hat on.

I still maintain that the best feature Top Gear has done was the 3 Supercar road trip. Give them a cool place to go, and 3 great cars to get there. That will almost be a winner by default.

Problem with the Tesla is that it'll cost 90k USD. That's a LOT more than the Z06, not to mention an Exige.

How many percent of the US electric consumption comes from coal or oil plants? In any way, if your house runs from one of those, it will mean that any electric car won't be enviromental anyway.

I do recognize that it will be an amazing car, but the question is, will it be good enough?

Then we have the biggest problem by far. It will be bought mostly by golfers who have an hobby of being doctors. And they WILL talk very loudly about their new ELECCTRICC carrrr. Well. That is not very nice.

As a piece of engenering, it's a masterpiece. As a product, it costs too much, and I think it'll get a poor image.

Problem with the Tesla is that it'll cost 90k USD. That's a LOT more than the Z06, not to mention an Exige.

How many percent of the US electric consumption comes from coal or oil plants? In any way, if your house runs from one of those, it will mean that any electric car won't be enviromental anyway.

I do recognize that it will be an amazing car, but the question is, will it be good enough?

Agreed, but let's be honest. It is the future. Make no mistake about it; electric motors (or some alternative propulsion) will become an invaluable part of our daily lives very soon, whether in the form of hybrids, or hydrogen cars, or whatever.

yes, but even though its 90,000 dollars as opposed to the Z06's 60 or 70K (i forget what exactly its at now), it only costs about 1 cent per mile according to the website (a Z06 at an optimistic 20mpg and U.S. gas prices at 3.25/gal, would go a little over 16 cents per mile). They do give sources to do independent research on that, but i'm too tired to pour over it right now.

Also, running an electric car off a grid that gets its power from a coal plant produces much less greenhouse gas than a normal gasoline engine. From the way i see it, the price is worth it (especially since there are very little maintenance costs associated with electric motors, and about the only thing you're going to have to look at in the first 100,000 miles is brakes and tires) and you are definitely being more green and efficient.

next cheap car challenge: 4x4s for under ?1500

I agree. I'd also like to see a Jeep (one of the legitamate ones, not some crapptastic compass) go up against a Land Rover.

Saleen S7 would be nice, and how about a Rotary Challenge... take all the RX generations and pit them against eachother (I garentee the 1995 RX-7 would win)

Agreed, but let's be honest. It is the future. Make no mistake about it; electric motors (or some alternative propulsion) will become an invaluable part of our daily lives very soon, whether in the form of hybrids, or hydrogen cars, or whatever.
Well, not electric cars. Fuel Cell on the other hand.. :)

yes, but even though its 90,000 dollars as opposed to the Z06's 60 or 70K (i forget what exactly its at now), it only costs about 1 cent per mile according to the website (a Z06 at an optimistic 20mpg and U.S. gas prices at 3.25/gal, would go a little over 16 cents per mile). They do give sources to do independent research on that, but i'm too tired to pour over it right now.
No, you see, I am just portraying what EVERY SINGLE person who sees the price of the Tesla versus the Z06 will think.

It might be cheaper in the long run, but people never think about that when they buy a sports car, lets be honest. Not that much anyway.

Also, running an electric car off a grid that gets its power from a coal plant produces much less greenhouse gas than a normal gasoline engine.

How does that work? Burning coal is less efficient than burning petrol, and the energy in the coal must be used to heat water, which then must run another engine (generator), which then must send its power down miles of lines, and into your batteries.

I'm no engineer, but if any engineers believe me to be wrong, please correct me. :p

Wikipedia: "A conventional steam-electric power plant is typically 33 to 35% efficient"

Consider now that a gasoline 4-stroke engine is about 20-25% efficient, and a diesel is around 30% or so (from what i remember from my auto mechanics class). Also consider that these coal plants are not the only sources for electricity, so when you charge up the car, you're drawing from a number of different fuels

U.S. Electric Power Industry Summary Statistics, 2006 and 2005 Here you can see that coal does make up the majority of electricity generation, but you also get a substantial amount from natural gas, nuclear, and hydroelectric

Another interesting thing from that chart, at the very bottom, you can see energy consumption by sector, and transportation takes up such a small amount, its just kind of interesting to see that much room to grow there.

Anyway, I'm finished on this side, this is probably a conversation for another thread :offtopic: :idiot: *headdesk*

On TG, we need to see more old car reviews, such as James May doing old supercars, exotics, classic compacts, etc.

Possibly a japanese coup? challengi!

We need to have less scripted jokes and more instances of quick witted responses from the presenters...