What’s happening to car clubs ?

ascalon

Over the years I have started two car clubs. Both were for classic sports cars, with one being in Cambridgeshire and one in Hertfordshire.
Both were successful and thrived.
Nowadays car clubs seem to be going into decline insofar as my experience is concerned. Certainly my efforts to start another classic sports car club in the Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire have come to nothing. People seem to prefer just taking their car to a “meet” where they pay a few quid into a charity bucket, park up and then wander around looking at the cars there and then drive off, often without saying a word to anyone else. Why is this ? It’s much nicer to have a little club, say with forty or fifty members and a regular monthly meeting.

People are busy these days. It's been the same here for years. Organising meets through another forum I'm part of, has been almost impossible for years. A date is set, plans made, and people sign up enthusiastically. Then a day or so before, everyone drops out for various reasons.

The only thing that gets a regular turn out is a fortnightly meet up in a carpark for coffee and burgers. I guess because it doesn't feel like an obligation?

And yet, on this forum we have members who willingly fly around the world to meet and hang out, so I don't know what to tell you.

Part of it is probably time but honestly I have to wonder if it is also just... less people are into cars nowadays. People comment about FG being dead, but so are like, the handful of car subreddits I follow. Most people I know can't even drive.

The only things I run into are exactly what you say. Shows where cars are set up to look at, maybe have a little sign on them, but that's it. Usually can't find the owner even, no really being social. You look and take some pictures and go home.

And yeah it sucks not being able to actually be social about your favorite hobbies and interests. Like half the point is learning more about the thing you enjoy from each other. I hope something picks up near you (and here, god save the poor people who make the mistake of asking me Car Things I never shut up).