What's the Best "Brand" of Gasoline?

Let me just clarify something; When I said 'cheap stuff' I didn't mean the lower octane stuff. I have to use high octane fuel in my car because it comes from the days when fuel was made from lead and had a million, billion octanes.

When I say 'cheap' I mean 'the cheapest you can find in the octane range you use'.

I'm not suggesting that people 'step-up' and fork over the money for higher octane because that would be a waste of money if your car doesn't need it. What I am saying is that if Shell are selling petrol at $1.56 and Caltex are selling the same octane fuel for $1.46 I'd go with the Shell because it's more betterer.

Uncle has the same problem with his ford falcon cobra even gets it a bit with the adatative crap

BP seems to work really well for me.

95 octane is not the best~:p
unless Phillipines runs the same octane rating system as the US~:lol:

best, meaning the best that shell can offer since i have a 3% rebate on my shell citibank mastercard, but i know the octane ratings here vs. the US are very different.

for Shell:
regular unleaded has 93 octane
premium has 95 octane
Vpower also has 95 octane.

Petron however, sells Blaze, which is rated at 97 octane.

I don't know about the rest of the world but here in sweden the companies buys gas from eachother... So I go with the cheapest..

In the United States all companies use the same pipeline (except Chevron which has its own transportation network). Basically Shell would put in 10 barrels at one end and immediately draw 10 barrels from the other, there is no guarantee that the gas that's drawn is Shell gasoline, it can just as easily be Lukoil. So the gas you get at a Shell, Lukoil, Exxon, Sunoco all comes from the same place. The additives that companies put into the gas are what makes them "special".

With that in mind, I almost always use Shell V-power, it's never done me wrong, and the added cleaners in it are a nice bit of piece of mind. I try to avoid the cheap-o places with the lowest prices, though, because (even though there are hefty fines for not maintaining the pumps) I just don't trust them enough to make sure they aren't pumping bad/watered down gasoline into my tank.

Also I have a Shell card, which gives me money back too :p

Last edited:
Petrol and Diesel Fuel are standardized (at least over here) and the companies Fueltrucks all go to the same refinery for their Fuel. If you buy normal Petrol, Super or Diesel, you?ll eventually get the same Product at every Petrolstation in a certain region. The only differences, are the Petrol or Diesel Fuels tha excell the standards for normal Fuel. Like Shell optimax, Aral ultimate ... and so on.

The rest is Myth and Marketing ... IMHO.

Last edited:
Probably Chevron or Superstore depending on which one is cheaper. My poor little engine has never had anything that's higher than 87 octane. Poor thing. I'm just too cheap...

^ Don't worry, putting anything more than 87 in a Tercel won't make any difference to it. It's like feeding foie gras to a dog. :D

How much cheaper is gas at Superstore? There aren't any with gas stations around me.

You get 6.5 cents off each liter for buying stuff there. There's one with a gas station in Richmond and SE Marine Drive.

Shell, usually the mid range, premium once a month or whenever its cheap. Fifth Gear did a test between 3 types of gas, and they showed that if the engine was designed for it, VPower gave the highest HP and TQ numbers. Cant find the ep of the top of my head but the clip is on youtube.

EDIT: episode is 8x06
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0QGCYLwTCGI[/youtube]

Last edited:
Im not usualy bothered by what diesel I put in the lux, but I find I get better economy (and less diesel smoke) form Shell and BP

Top Tier Gas list

I know a guy who owns an local oil company, he says Texaco and Chevron are the best. Said Shell is also good, but he doesn't like all the additives to supposedly clean the engine. He reckons the cleaners leave deposits in the engine, and are unnecessary, especially if you maintain your car properly.

Last edited:
Well, I normally have the best luck with shell...however, it's not worth this:
GasPrices.jpg

(taken yesterday morning)

Always been using either BP or Shell in SA. But now that i moved to the States, my only choice is left with Shell.

Shell here as well. My family has had a Texico card since 1991, so when Shell bought out Texico we changed over and now we have whatever tier Shell card is below the highest one. Anyway, what I'm getting at here is I go to Shell and just use our card and I don't have to pay for my gas- not that it matters anyway, my mother likes to see the high grade gas go into the mustang.

Also, Shell's gas burns a bit cleaner than alot of others (hence their no buildup claims) which increases its efficiency some and results with some people getting better mileage out of their gas. That's how I see it anyway.

Shell here as well. My family has had a Texico card since 1991, so when Shell bought out Texico we changed over and now we have whatever tier Shell card is below the highest one. Anyway, what I'm getting at here is I go to Shell and just use our card and I don't have to pay for my gas- not that it matters anyway, my mother likes to see the high grade gas go into the mustang.

Also, Shell's gas burns a bit cleaner than alot of others (hence their no buildup claims) which increases its efficiency some and results with some people getting better mileage out of their gas. That's how I see it anyway.

Texaco, not Texico.

Texaco, not Texico.

You think I'd remember that, although it was a while ago and now all the Texaco stations are gone and replaced with Shell's around here. Maybe my fingers just weren't keen on typing what I wanted them too :lol:

I went from Exxon-Mobile to Shell and my mileage improved. The car also seems a bit smoother.

Q8 is the one I use.
Gives me more mileage for the same amount of fuel, gives me a little bit more power under acceleration and best of all, is cheapest

I do have to say that I run my car on the juice of the devil though