What's the emission control difference between EU and USA?

AMDX1325

Car(s)
VW Jetta MKV, Suzuki Aerio GS, MB 560SEL
Is the american DOT standard more strict or loose than its european counterparts in regards to engine size, safety and emissions? I often hear european cars when imported or marketed in the north america must go through some design and safety changes, what are those changes of exactly? Been trying to find a website that can compare details like rules to rules, and I wouldnt mind some knowledgeable friend's analysis from this forum :lol:

I think the US emissions standards are higher than the EU ones(even excluding California ones) because, for example, most VW and BMW diesel engines that are available in Europe are not in the US.
There are some US members here that I'm sure can provide actual facts.

I don't think there are engine size regulations :no:

Yeah, but the taxes on a high capacity engine will most likely kill you in Europe.

The US has higher standards for both crash safety, and tighter emission output rules. Sometimes they are needed, other times they cause as many problems as they solve.

Not higher. Different.

Exactly.

The politicians that come up with these regulations obviously think that theirs are better than on the other side of the pond. There is no way of really telling which is "better", but it?s safe to say that cars that can comply with both without any major modifications are going to be "better" than others.

I think the US emissions standards are higher than the EU ones(even excluding California ones) because, for example, most VW and BMW diesel engines that are available in Europe are not in the US.
That's a case of correlation does not necessarily equal causation. While I'm not familiar with the diesel emission laws, I am familiar with the general US public's impression of a diesel. They're noisy, they stink, they get everything dirty, and diesel costs more so you end up spending the same amount on fuel.

Once upon a time, those impressions were true, and kept Americans from buying diesel cars. They'd only buy diesel if they needed the torque. So we still have diesel trucks, but the cars are rare. People still think diesels are noisy and stinky, because the only diesels they notice are the trucks that have been modified to be noisy and stinky! My mother and I were outside as a VW TDI drove by. I let the conversation continue, and as it drove away, I said, "Mom, notice that white car?" "Oh, yeah, I didn't even hear it go by!" "Yup. It's a diesel. Remember what I was saying about them not being noisy and stinky these days?" "Oh. Wow. Maybe they're worth another look." Diesel does cost more per gallon here than petrol.

Last edited:
10 - 15 years ago we had the same view of diesels - not now.

I own two, one manual one automatic. They are just amazing low down - the torque is special, MPG about 49 on my own car - the Mrs's car is not as good but it is a 7 seat MPV Zafira and auto.

No smog noticeable out the back of either - we do have low sulphur diesel on sale though - may make a difference, and a particulates filter fitted to each car.

Recommended! (NB Ford Europe make some fine diesel engines so you guys (US) could do it! 1.6 with 109 BHP FCS!)

http://www.ford.co.uk/Hidden/Configurator/configureFocus

Last edited:
*nod* We have low sulphur diesel, as well (at least, I swear I remember seeing it at stations). There are a few mainstream diesel cars available here, but that's a relatively recent development. It'll take some time to change public perception.

VW and Mercedes have always sold Diesels here (even BMW is now). They are in general not bad, but I still remember seeing a late 90s Merc belch five tons of black smoke while waiting for a ferry a couple years ago.

Hmm, interesting. Upon initial inspection, it seems the european has tighter emission control(Euro5 vs EPA) on Carbon Monoxide while the EPA's restriction on Nitrogen oxides is stricter. I think its fair to say the requirements are different, rather than who's better and who's worse. I would agree that if a car satisfies both regulations, it has to be a better car.

They're also non-tariff barriers tailored to protect the domestic industry.

It?s a lot more evident when you compare safety regulations. The vast majority of cars that get 5 stars in the Euro NCAP would stand no chance at passing the US side impact test. If you live in Europe, have a look at the newer cars you encounter on the road, anything that?s also sold in the US has much beefier b-pillars. Ever since I found out about this the TV commercials for french cars make me laugh. :D

Until recently, it was impossible to get 5 stars with a car that?s also intended for the US market. I say recently because someone just did it a few months ago, I forgot who though.

Just goes to show that both regulations are far (very far) from perfect. If you really want to build a safe car you have to destroy it in all sorts of creative ways, because real world crashes are never as clean and simple as they are in a lab. But again, if you manage to build a car that scores reasonably well with the safety standards of all markets, it?s likely to be a lot safer than one that gets top scores in just one.

Yeah, but the taxes on a high capacity engine will most likely kill you in Europe.

What kills you is the CO2 tax which is proportional to fuel consumption, and the actual fuel costs (including fuel taxes). Displacement is virtually irrelevant compared to that.

Euro-NCAP is a voluntary test, the US equivalent would be the IIHS tests. The legislated mandatory tests in both the EU and the US are much laxer than either of those.

Last edited:
Over here its all about CO2, and taxing it.

but if the project im currently working on is anything to go by, the future set of Euro Emissions regs are going to slam down hard on particulates.... even for petrol. Current particulate filters pretty much dust up 99% of the particulates, only problem is, for a diesel at least, they are full after less than 200 mi, which is where the research group I work with steps in.

Last edited:
Euro-NCAP is a voluntary test, the US equivalent would be the IIHS tests. The legislated mandatory tests in both the EU and the US are much laxer than either of those.

Well yeah. The point is, if you want to build a car that scores "really well" on the european "hey look at us, our cars are the safest in the universe" test, you won?t even pass the basic stuff in the states...

ever hear of China's C-NCAP? it does crash test at 40KM/h, even some cars failed that! yikes.

It?s a lot more evident when you compare safety regulations. The vast majority of cars that get 5 stars in the Euro NCAP would stand no chance at passing the US side impact test.

Bah humbug, I say.

If they can market and sell a freaking Smart car here and let people drive that thing on the freeways...I want my next car to get European fuel economy!

Here in the States, if a new car gets over 25mpg, a lot of folks say...awesome!

In the UK, a newer car that only gets 25mpg would have people poking under the hood to see what's wrong with it.

A BMW M series (basic) here will get you that 25mph on the highway. In the UK, a similar one will get you at least 30+!

And even mention a VW Polo BluMotion that gets 70+ mpg will get you a look of disbelief.