What's the point of the R32?

I saw an R32 yeasterday (ish, it went past in the other direction on the motorway) but it's eye catching. 'specially with that grille.

Z Draci said:
I also don't see the point in the R32 when you can buy the Alfa Romeo Brera in the spring.

alfabrera.jpg

Alfa_Romeo_Brera_64998g.jpg

As sad as I am that we wont see that here on US shores, you obviously havent seen the engine choices that are planned for that car. They are very disappointing...

the AWD V6 Brera should be Very Very reasonable. There is of course a bottom end of the engine range to appeal to the wider market

I don't understand why everybody is putting down the Brera. It's not supposed to be a hatchback supercar. Alfas aren't the best in any class. Lately, they are just GM products with a splash of Italian zest.

Don't let the aggressive looks fool you. If you've read the early reviews, you know that it has a smooth and refined ride. They said the extreme styling complements the conservative way it drives. It's not as good to drive, reliable, or well built as an R32. But I'd still buy the Brera if it were my own money.

Well here in the states the new R is actually going to be a 3.6L with 280-300hp. While the old R was very nice, it was very slow stock so hopefully the new R36 will fix that problem if its not too heavy...

vengeance18t said:
Well here in the states the new R is actually going to be a 3.6L with 280-300hp. While the old R was very nice, it was very slow stock so hopefully the new R36 will fix that problem if its not too heavy...

You are correct sir, I'm looking quite forward to that 3.6L engine. That wont be around till what 2007? 2008? I've always loved the .:R but I always had a hard time comprehending it. Its far better performance wise than the colbalt SS(which weren't around at the R's inception), SRT-4s, Civic Si's, and SE-R's. But it was never as good as the STIs and EVOs, which i always thought should be the direct competition.

I'm glad to see you joined just to make this point haha. :thumbsup:

HPA here in Vancouver can tune your R32 to make 550hp and over....with 0-60 and 1/4 mile times to beat a ferrari Enzo by a good margin, and for only $30k.

They're working with VW to make the R-GT versions of the new 4-Motion Jetta and Passat, with 550 and 570hp :shock:

jetta_back.jpg

LongHairedHippy said:
The R32 is totally pointless. Since the Audi TT and Fold share a chassis, the R32 is exactly the same as the top-range TT. Given the choice, why choose the VW over the Audi?
Huh? I don't follow. How is a hatchback exactly the same as a 2+2 coupe/convertible?

Z Draci said:
I also don't see the point in the R32 when you can buy the Alfa Romeo Brera in the spring.

alfabrera.jpg

Alfa_Romeo_Brera_64998g.jpg
In North America?

I've heard before they were bringing the Alfa to NA, but didn't know when exactly.

chaos386 said:
LongHairedHippy said:
The R32 is totally pointless. Since the Audi TT and Fold share a chassis, the R32 is exactly the same as the top-range TT. Given the choice, why choose the VW over the Audi?
Huh? I don't follow. How is a hatchback exactly the same as a 2+2 coupe/convertible?
Exactly, ever tried sitting in the back of an Audi TT? Yes, there are seats but there are totally useless, except for small (!) children. I can only imagine it's the same with the Brera. (does it even have a back seat?)

So that's another reason against the Brera (as well as the TT) and for the R32. I don't know about you guys, but I frequently haul my friends around so being able to take more than one passenger with me is very important. Nothing better than, for instance, going to the movies and a spirited drive home on the, then empty, Autobahn. :)

LongHairedHippy said:

The only $.02 I can give is the R has much nicer seats, steeringwheel, and i think just a nicer interior. I find the TT's interior is just too simply looking and too modern art deco(sp?) in design.

mmmm hard choice.. I guess it all depends on your necessity... you see VW gives a car for everyone!