Whats the story with Hot Hatch's...

FATMOUSE said:
peter3hg2 said:
A truck is in no way practical in this country or logically in any country.

I feel an O RLY coming on here.
Ok I'll try and rephrase that a bit. I truck is in no way practical in this country or logically in any country compared to other alternatives whether it be an estate, hatchback or whatever.

peter3hg2 said:
FATMOUSE said:
peter3hg2 said:
A truck is in no way practical in this country or logically in any country.

I feel an O RLY coming on here.
Ok I'll try and rephrase that a bit. I truck is in no way practical in this country or logically in any country compared to other alternatives whether it be an estate, hatchback or whatever.

http://img480.imageshack.**/img480/3858/28913xh.jpg

You didn't re-phrase anything. That's the same ignorant argument you made before.

An estate is a car with an enclosed cargo area. It can't tow, you can't haul soil or fertilizer (like what you're shoveling) it does not have the carrying capacity of a truck.

You know what? Screw it. you clearly didn't bother to read my last post explaining why you have your head up you arse, I have no reason to think you will read this one either. Go back to your loft apartment, city slicker. You would not last 10 minutes in the country. By "the country" I mean propper ranching country.

Willfull ignorance pisses me off.

peter3hg2 said:
Well thats killed your argument dead. A truck is in no way practical in this country or logically in any country.
no, its not logical in the UK or Europe where the roads were built for horses. but here in the US where the roads are wide and we have lots of space, its just about perfect.

not only that, but here in Colorado, USA we have what are called "mountains." i know you think you guys have mountains, but i live at 5,500 ft above sea level (over a mile) and i routinely drive to 12,000 ft to go camping and hiking......these mountains are called the "Rocky Mountains" and i'd love to see you follow me up the "roads" in your R32.

peter3hg2 said:

also, how would you suggest i drive to the races without a truck?

trailer1.jpg

trucks are exceedingly useful, otherwise you'd see a MB or Bimmer wagon next to every Miata in this picture:

PICT0400.jpg

http://img305.imageshack.**/img305/1796/fleeex5xv.jpg

Find me a car that can do this.

peter3hg2 said:
i'm really having a hard time figuring out what would posess you to say something as asinine as this.....and i have no idea

Who claimed we have mountains in this country? I certainly don't think we do. But again there are more practical cars for going up into the mountains. I may be wrong but as far as I understand it most of your pickups are only 2wd which soon becomes useless on mountains.
Where you use pick-ups for race meets in the US we tend to use vans.
presssmall1.jpg

I'm not sure we have the same definition of truck here Blind_Io. To me a truck is a Pick-up.
A Land Rover certainly isn't a truck in my eye.
And heres a car off-roading
subaru4wd.jpg

And look even a camper can do it
3-wheelin.jpg

(I'm only having a laugh with these pics.)
I nearly pissed myself at those tents on the back of the Pick-ups, Blind-IO. They look ike such bodge jobs.
I will concede that trucks/pick-ups can be reasonable alternatives to other vehicles for certain things. I will say though that most of the time Americans drive trucks for no reason whatsoever, very much the same people drive 4x4/SUV's for no reason.
Shall we know get back talking about hot hatches, not pick-ups.

peter3hg2 said:
Who claimed we have mountains in this country? I certainly don't think we do. But again there are more practical cars for going up into the mountains. I may be wrong but as far as I understand it most of your pickups are only 2wd which soon becomes useless on mountains.

Where you use pick-ups for race meets in the US we tend to use vans.
I'm not sure we have the same definition of truck here Blind_Io. To me a truck is a Pick-up.
A Land Rover certainly isn't a truck in my eye.
And heres a car off-roading

I nearly pissed myself at those tents on the back of the Pick-ups, Blind-IO. They look ike such bodge jobs.
I will concede that trucks/pick-ups can be reasonable alternatives to other vehicles for certain things. I will say though that most of the time Americans drive trucks for no reason whatsoever, very much the same people drive 4x4/SUV's for no reason.
Shall we know get back talking about hot hatches, not pick-ups.

tell me what i should buy instead of my SUV. i need to tow my Racecar and another 2-ton trailer several times a month. i need enough room for at least 4 passengers (i've filled all 8 seats many times though), i need to have 4WD for when it snows/blizzards, i need good articulation and clearance for when i go into the mountains. i need a gasoline engine so i can start my truck at -10* F (-23*C). i need to be able to put the rear seats down to carry the support gear for my racecar. and i need something i can drive every day.

what should i buy? well i think i got the right vehicle for the job, don't you?

yes, most trucks are 2wd. but most trucks dont go offroad. they drive in the country and haul things. they haul things so heavy it would crush the suspension of a volvo-anything

back to hot hatches. Americans dont like them, so we dont buy them. we buy lots of Jettas, WRXs, EVOs, 330is, IS300s, 300Cs, Cobalt SSs, SRT-4s, etc. we'd rather have a turbocharged engine, AWD, and 4-doors.

i don't know why you have to insult our country because we don't like small cars. its not like we insult your country based on the way you live.

You call that offroading! :lol:

Just a moment......

Ok, I'm fine now. I fell down and passed out due to hypoxia from laughing so hard.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=land rover pickup&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi
Land Rover pickups

I don't think you understand what off-roading is; that is not off roading, it's a graded dirt road. Off pavement does not mean off-road. Offroading means high clearance, four wheel drive, skid plates, and depending on the severity of the trail at least one locking differential.

Here are some photos of my playground - Moab, UT

"Behind the Rocks" Trail
32jsbtr2.jpg

Golden Spike Trail
33jsgsj.jpg
33jsgsi.jpg

Video: http://www.4x4now.com/33jsgs5.mov

Hell's Revenge Trail
33jshrc.jpg
33jshre.jpg

Let's see your van or little Econo-car-with-silly-lights try it. My bet is you won't even make it to the staging area.

Vitamin J said:
tell me what i should buy instead of my SUV. i need to tow my Racecar and another 2-ton trailer several times a month. i need enough room for at least 4 passengers (i've filled all 8 seats many times though), i need to have 4WD for when it snows/blizzards, i need good articulation and clearance for when i go into the mountains. i need a gasoline engine so i can start my truck at -10* F (-23*C). i need to be able to put the rear seats down to carry the support gear for my racecar. and i need something i can drive every day.

what should i buy? well i think i got the right vehicle for the job, don't you?
Yes a SUV is the right vehicle for you. I never said it wasn't. When I said people have 4x4/SUV's for no reason, I didn't mean everyone who has them. My brother reguarly tows 3 ton tractors on the back of trailers with a Flat-Bed Landy. Obviously no traditional car has the towing rating to do this.

Vitamin J said:
i don't know why you have to insult our country because we don't like small cars. its not like we insult your country based on the way you live.
When did I insult your country? I can't remeber doing that in this thread. Critizing choice in cars is not insulting a country.

Blind_IO you should read my post. If you bothered you would have read I said I was only having a laugh with the pics.
And of those 5 pics, only one was of a truck anyway.

From expience I can say that those "bodge job" tents are far more comfortable than ones on the ground. They are drier in storms, don't pull the stakes up in the wind and have the solid walls of the truck bed to reinforce the tent. Also, you don't have bugs crawling into your boots at night.

I would conclude that you know precisely dick about why Americans drive the cars they do. You have clearly never seen a winter in the US. We measure snow by the foot, not the inch. It's easy to promote an estate from your comfortable island sitting in the Gulf Stream, but those of us who call the Rocky Mountains our home know better. Even four wheel drive cars become immobilized by the sheer quantity of snow. Last time I was home we had a storm that lasted 4 days and took us from the driest November on record to the wettest - in the last week of the month. My family was sleeping in shifts to keep up with the snowfall so we would not get shut in. I used to drive an estate, a Volvo 245 DL, it was not uncommon for the only visible part of the car to be the radio antenna following a winter storm.

Also, people tend to visit local lakes and trailer their boats. This means towing, capacity for 2-4 people and room for camping gear and boat fuel. What better vehicle than a 4 door truck?

It's true that many trucks are 2WD, but not where I am from. Most places in the "snow belt" are dominated by 4WD models.

Before you start slinging stones about someone's choice in vehicles, why don't you take a closer look at the need that vehicle is fulfilling? It's easy to mock somene for being different than you, but harder to understand why, harder still is the ability to embrace diversity.

Sweet Eris, and people think Americans are xenophobic.

I know we have very very mild weather here compared to a lot of places in the world.
Having said that I would personally think that a Land Rover 110 would be more suitable for heavy Snow conditions. At least everythings under cover.

I admit I went too far saying trucks are useless. They can be very useful in the right situation as with any vehicle.

peter3hg2 said:
Yes a SUV is the right vehicle for you. I never said it wasn't. When I said people have 4x4/SUV's for no reason, I didn't mean everyone who has them. My brother reguarly tows 3 ton tractors on the back of trailers with a Flat-Bed Landy. Obviously no traditional car has the towing rating to do this.

When did I insult your country? I can't remeber doing that in this thread. Critizing choice in cars is not insulting a country.

Blind_IO you should read my post. If you bothered you would have read I said I was only having a laugh with the pics.
you said that trucks were useless period. and SUVs too. you think everyone who buys a Ferrari F430 takes it to the track? ha, i think most Ferraris serve the same purpose as most Range Rovers and Escalades, look fancy as you pull up to the resturant.

everyone in america doesnt drive crappy cars. just like everyone in the UK doesnt drive great cars. i think you'll find that a good number of people here have fine taste in cars. i hate how all brits think we're just a bunch of cowboys with camaros and mullets. all brits aren't car people, so dont pretend they are.

Vitamin J said:
peter3hg2 said:

you said that trucks were useless period. and SUVs too. you think everyone who buys a Ferrari F430 takes it to the track? ha, i think most Ferraris serve the same purpose as most Range Rovers and Escalades, look fancy as you pull up to the resturant.

everyone in america doesnt drive crappy cars. just like everyone in the UK doesnt drive great cars. i think you'll find that a good number of people here have fine taste in cars. i hate how all brits think we're just a bunch of cowboys with camaros and mullets. all brits aren't car people, so dont pretend they are.
I have never said SUV's are useless. I think you misunderstood me when I said people drive SUV/4x4's for no reason. I was only talking about people in their Chelsea Tractor's.
And I would say a Ferrari F430 is generally speaking useless and an impractical choice for most things.
I think this is the reason why Hot Hatches are so popular. They manage to be useful in a lot of situations but are only useless in limited circumstances.

peter3hg2 said:
I have never said SUV's are useless. I think you misunderstood me when I said people drive SUV/4x4's for no reason. I was only talking about people in their Chelsea Tractor's.
And I would say a Ferrari F430 is generally speaking useless and an impractical choice for most things.
I think this is the reason why Hot Hatches are so popular. They manage to be useful in a lot of situations but are only useless in limited circumstances.

peter3hg2 said:

yes you did.

hot hatches are popular in europe/uk because hatches are popular there. muscle cars and big sedans are popular here which is why big mercs, bimmers, audis, and now chryslers are so popular.

a 300C is not better or worse than an R32, they're very different cars, for very different people.

peter3hg2,

I think you ought to quit while you are ahead.. or rather, before you get too far behind. You managed to alienate alot of people.

Vitamin J said:
its pretty obvious. people buy what they like. i dont know why you would think otherwise.

Not all of the time. People buy what they can afford with the options they are given. A person is lucky when they can truly buy what they like.

And for guy saying trucks are useless vehicles when other vehicles can do the same?!?! Dude, no the truck exists for the very reason that it does what other vehices cannot do. There is a somewhat older Toyota truck commercial where a truck raced a Lotus Espirit down a track until it turned offroad and the truck kept going. No hot hatch is going to haul the one ton of fertilizer to my field this November.

So, just say :oops: and admit you said something silly and move on.

Vitamin J said:
a 300C is not better or worse than an R32, they're very different cars, for very different people.

The R32 is slower under most conditions, though. Certainly cheaper to run, no doubt. :)

Steve

ishigakisensei said:
Not all of the time. People buy what they can afford with the options they are given. A person is lucky when they can truly buy what they like.
i'm talking about a country as a whole, not individual people. hot hatches are marketed more in Europe/UK than in the US because they sell more there because people there like them more.

Vitamin J said:

Exactly!
If you are towing an MX-5 you need a truck , indeed. What pisses me off is people buying trucks and SUV just because they're big.
Can we all go home now?

Redliner said:
Exactly!
If you are towing an MX-5 you need a truck , indeed. What pisses me off is people buying trucks and SUV just because they're big.
Can we all go home now?
so people who buy ferrari's because their fast piss you off?

and people who buy bentleys because they're comfy piss you off as well?

what's wrong with someone buying the type of vehicle they like? how does it affect you really?