What's up with the bet clothes?

-GREAT NEWS!
-What? Is it the Dacia Sandero?!
-Err... no...

They have had a running gag of Hammond having his teeth whitened for a long time. It can pop up anytime.

And while I do believe him when he said he hasn't, but from watching earilier shows, he has had something done to them. Maybe they are capped or veneered.

A mate of mine back in Estonia refuses to bet for money so the stakes in our bets are for reality shows. For instance: I had to try out for an anecdote academy and he lost when betting for the Estonian version of the Idol. The Clause is that we have to take the tryouts seriously and not sabotage ourselves. Unfortunately neither of us have made it through to the main rounds yet:D

They actually have a lot of running gags. One of them is the "at precisely 4:11" or "at exactly 7:04." Like the random time is some exact, calculated event.

Last edited:
^ Or "we've literally been inundated with one letter asking..." :lol:

They don't do that anymore, this was from the earlier series.

Give it time. :D

Yeah, they haven't done any letter gags lately, I'm kind of disappointed. My favorite one was when they got a letter from "a Mr. R. Abramovich of Chelsea". :lol:

I think the clothing bets would be funnier if it were more over the top. James wearing disco boots or something completely outrageous like that, so that it gets a laugh every time he speaks, not just for the "doing that for a bet?" line like Clarkson's slippers.

I don't object to the running gags myself but in other areas the workload mention in Wilman's blog today is beginning to show and they seem to be overstretching themselves. The chemistry is less apparent and things seem a little more forced. The price of success.....

This is what they end up with since they now go for big viewer numbers instead of making a genuine good car program as they used to do before season 8 (the later seasons has had some glimpses of "old" excellence, but they are still way, way off). You get the impression that they somehow try to hide their true love of cars...

I?ve missed the morse code last week ... :(

(I like the running gags, and I?m sure when we find out what "bet" it was, we?ll all have a good laugh)

Agree totally. Hope they haven't run out of morse ideas this quickly as I was enjoying that. Have my fingers crossed for (Daily) "Mail readers are all cocks".

I think it started with Jeremy just commenting on what Richard was wearing and it become a line they repeat.

It is kind of funny to see what they all wear. Richard and James appear to enjoy fashion, though not real style, while Jeremy clearly needs someone to dress him in anything above jeans and a crumby T-shirt.