• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

whats with that gmail counting thing?

pdanev

Forum Addict
whats with that gmail counting thing? i get on the sign in screen 2066.xxxxx mb (and counting) storage. are they increasing continuously the storage of the accounts or what :unsure:

not that it would actually matter, cos already the initial 1gb they started with is never gonna get full (my uni mail is 50mb and i have currently 595letters there and its still not full :mrgreen: and most of them contain attached word/ppt/pdf files), but im just curios whats the deal now :p

Re: whats with that gmail counting thing?

pdanev said:
whats with that gmail counting thing? i get on the sign in screen 2066.xxxxx mb (and counting) storage. are they increasing continuously the storage of the accounts or what :unsure:

not that it would actually matter, cos already the initial 1gb they started with is never gonna get full (my uni mail is 50mb and i have currently 595letters there and its still not full :mrgreen: and most of them contain attached word/ppt/pdf files), but im just curios whats the deal now :p

Yeah they announced (like always for gmail related announcements) on April 1st that they would be increasing their storage initially to 2GB and then continuing to increase it as they can, which apparently works out to about 5MB a day. It's just another way for Google to get more people to use gmail.

(and I have 1050 messages in my gmail box, and only used 18MB, so I doubt I will EVER need 2GB)

1050 messeges :shock:
damn, i can barely find my way through that ~600 i have in my mail box... :? :bangin:

pdanev said:
1050 messeges :shock:
damn, i can barely find my way through that ~600 i have in my mail box... :? :bangin:

yeah thats actually just my gmail account (which i don't use a lot), my work e-mail account has about 8000 messages in it (granted its e-mail dating back to when I started 3 years ago). Most of it is server reports, but a lot is generated by users too. My other main accounts get somewhere around 1000 - 1500 before I go through and clean them out.

Yea, 2gb is way over the top.. My outlook dat file is only around 300mb and ive been using that for about 6 accounts for a few years now :O

:lmao:

whats the point when you can just keep them there and you know you'll never finish the storage G-mail gives you

I've been wondering... Do you think Google would ever release a messenger?

You are currently using 0 MB (0%) of your 2067 MB.

i just have 3 emails in my inbox...i don't really use it for storage. i mainly use gmail for family and friend related emails, but i'm not really big on keeping emails that i've alreadya read. 2 gb does seem like an overkill. in fact, i though 1 gb was an overkill from the start.

i subscribe to about 2 different GTX mailing lists and a ton others on varying subjects so i really need the space since i like to keep old list msgs because searching G-Mail is WAY WAY WAY easier than the crap search that yahoo groups uses

TF
3407emails since 08-27-04

no i mean how do they have all this storage for peoples emails. do they have HOOOOWUUUAAAGGGHHHHHH amounts of HD's

jasonchiu said:
no i mean how do they have all this storage for peoples emails. do they have HOOOOWUUUAAAGGGHHHHHH amounts of HD's

yeah. they have somewhere over 88,000 servers that run google, and they have a system that lets each machine store data on whatever free space is available on those 88k+ machines. It's very interesting, but with each of these machines having at least 40GB HDs, that would be about 3000TB of storage, and the google index can't take up too much of that. (found that out at a google recruiting event :-D)

They also count on everyone not using all 2GB of e-mail storage, since many people have a gmail account, but only use 50 - 100 MB of it, and they count on people who delete their mail.