Whats with the french bashing in the US?

Kebab gud

a few years ago .. lets say.. 2003-2004. alot of americans where bashing the french
why?

For the love of god.. i just can figure it out.
they have done more for the US then you (americans) can ever repay yet you still treat them like crap..
is this something that only one part of americans do or is it all of you?
and is it still as bad as in 2003-2004 ?

The brits on the other hand have a reson for there bashing of the french :p

I think it stems that they didn't support us when we went to war in Iraq. Other than that, I do not know why.

jayjaya29 said:
I think it stems that they didn't support us when we went to war in Iraq. Other than that, I do not know why.

Yeah, that seems to be it. Unfortunately, it's very petty.

We also did much for them.

Firecat said:
jayjaya29 said:

Yeah, that seems to be it. Unfortunately, it's very petty.

Also it could stem from the fact that every time financial aid is to be given to other countries, it's the French who criticize the amount given by the US first. Like for the tsunami, we had initially pledged something on the order of $15 million, and the French were bitching to the UN that the American government should give more. Meanwhile the French had only donated $150,000 to the effort...

Eventually as the true toll of the disaster had been discovered, both countries donated more, but that makes me angry that some other country has the nerve to say "they have to donate more than us...".

Plus also during that time I beleive they basically went against everything we supported in the UN, and made very public statements about our leadership, which at the time didn't go over well with anyone but the hippies of Hollywood.

The French did help us to start our country (but it could have been said that it was a result of just wanting to weaken Britain), but we did save them from speaking German permanently, not once, but twice. I think the debt has been repaid.

i really think its because they are an easy target.

There's a very good and simple reason why we make fun of the French. It's because they're French.

They did provide shipping access and ships during the revolutionary war (thank Ben Franklin for that) but we bailed them out in WWI, WWII AND Vietnam.

It is petty to bash them for not joining us in Iraq, but sheeesh...get a little, give a little, you know?

Kebab gud said:
jetsetter said:
lets see... Turning to up late to save them in a War Vs Them paying for your Revolution.. hmmmmm

Oh lets not forget that they got nothing in return back then..
(infact .. it made the French goverment bankrupt )

As mentioned above. We helped/saved/bailed them out of WW1, WW2, Vietnam. You could also say that we helped to inspire their revolution.

Kebab gud said:
jetsetter said:
lets see... Turning to up late to save them in a War Vs Them paying for your Revolution.. hmmmmm

We could have left them to become western germany... and just protected the only ally that had a chance. The fact that the British, Americans, Canadians (and the French Resistance) managed to push the Germans out of France, is an amazing feat. Thousands of American people died trying to restore the French country (not once, but twice), whereas very few French died in the American Revolution. Also you could say that we paid for the rebuilding of France, England and Germany, so we have paid our fair share. Only it didn't bankrupt the US because we had that whole Cold War thing going on, which kept the economy moving after the war. Far away wars are good for national economies.

hokiethang said:
We could have left them to become western germany... and just protected the only ally that had a chance. The fact that the British, Americans, Canadians (and the French Resistance) managed to push the Germans out of France, is an amazing feat.

*ahem* Australia too *ahem*

I have nothing against the French. I pay tribute to them every time I enjoy their great fries :D

jeffy777 said:
I have nothing against the French. I pay tribute to them every time I enjoy their great fries :D

I have nothing against the French either, I meet a lot of their hot women that come to disney and work.

I don't particularly like their government and their imperialistic history though.

hokiethang said:
Kebab gud said:
jetsetter said:

We could have left them to become western germany... and just protected the only ally that had a chance. The fact that the British, Americans, Canadians (and the French Resistance) managed to push the Germans out of France, is an amazing feat. Thousands of American people died trying to restore the French country (not once, but twice), whereas very few French died in the American Revolution. Also you could say that we paid for the rebuilding of France, England and Germany, so we have paid our fair share. Only it didn't bankrupt the US because we had that whole Cold War thing going on, which kept the economy moving after the war. Far away wars are good for national economies.

They were back then, but today that is another story. The only logical war would be against your lenders, that would take a big burden off the economy, whereas a war that inflates commodity prices is more harming to your economy, but as long as the world believes in American paper you are fine. :roll:
But bashing the french is a really good thing, I do think however that the brits are simply better at it. ;)