What's your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
criticalLITE said:
CyberMonkey said:
Now that you're mentioning it :).

I was too busy wondering why a designer would place a fat chrome border around the dial-place, or what went wrong while designing the inside of the door or the steering wheel.
Must have been something horrible happening to that guy for sure.

But well, impressive car in size and figures, that's right.

Its actually kind of funny that you mentioned the steering wheel and door design. They designs are actually form following function- the door panels on the '06's have been redesigned for better side impact absorption. There is a four-inch thick foam pad inside of the door, so the door handle had to be relocated to in front of the window switches (if you look carefully you can see a small piece of curved plastic "chrome"- its the door handle). Also, the steering wheel has been redone to better protect the driver in frontal crashes. Apparently there is some kind of advanced collapsable steering column. I don't know how big this news was overseas a few years ago, but Ford is still trying to make the Explorers as safe as possible (its meets all safety guidlines through 2010's standards) in order to bury the Firestone fiasco from a few years ago. If you aren't too aware of what happened, google Ford Explorer Firestone- you will get plenty of info on that whole thing and why the Explorer's safety reputation has been a major focus since Ford redesigned it in 2002.

llpc60- cool 900. We used to have a 900S sedan years ago and it was an awesome car. How do you like yours?

Thanks for the information, I didn't know much about that case. Seems to have been quite serious though, 250 deaths because of tire failure :?

criticalLITE said:
llpc60- cool 900. We used to have a 900S sedan years ago and it was an awesome car. How do you like yours?

saw this a little late :p

Its an awesome car to drive. We actually got it for free, the ignition switch was broken, and the guy wanted to get it towed to the junkyard. He was second owner and had it for 15+ years.

Its funny because the shift stick was missing a spring to get it to center, and me/dad could never get it into 3rd.... I asked him about it and he said he never noticed it :eek: . I guess 15years is enough to know exacly where 3rd is :D

it wants to overheat now because the fans refuse to come on. we are tryin to trace down why, It seems it was (is) a common problem with saabs that old.

It just needs a garage now for us to work on it. Were looking for a house to buy, but right now all we have is a condos parking lot....not the best place to work on a car :(

whenever we get the space, I plan on givin it a nice paintjob, redoing the interior (the fabric is falling apart), get new wheels/tires etc etc.... its just too cool to just let it sit and not take care of it.

really amazing how it drives for a '84

cant wait till we have the space to work on it...tis gettin special treatment :p

1986 Toyota Cressida
2.8L I6
4-speed auto
240,000+ kms
RWD
Completely stock

Cressida2006.jpg

Cressida_s.jpg

Cressida_db.jpg

Yes I know theres some rust, but considering this is after 20 years of ownership and the fact that Toronto city council literally dumps tons of salt every winter one would wonder why it hasn't been destroyed by the cancer like so many other cars. Yes I know its looks like a grampa's car but deep inside its a Supra which makes if more fun especially when I drive faster than the carbage I see with their pathetic I4s. Closest equivalent of this car when it comes to new cars is in the form of in the Lexus IS300 and GS300. Mechanically extremely similar to the mk-II Supra. Want a beginner's drift car? This is it.

I've got a soft spot for those Cressidas - like you said it's got the heart of a Supra. They can hustle a bit too.

fbc said:
I've got a soft spot for those Cressidas - like you said it's got the heart of a Supra. They can hustle a bit too.

I think they look pretty cool too. Hell, I'd rather have an old school Cressida than a new POS Camry!

petraman said:
watto said:
Hell, I'd rather have an old school Cressida than a new POS Camry!
Yeah, I'm amazed how Toyota considers those to be "sport sedans". Come on! The Camry is and always will be a point-a-to-b car
Current Camry's may have a lot more power than any completely stock Cressidas however your correct they're Camrys. They're a family sedan and the only racing Camrys can do is NASCAR but that would only be a Camry shell. The Avalon sadly is only a larger Camry, I've driven my dad's 2004 Avalon and while its comfortable its not a Cressida. Camrys and Avalons are comfort cars they'll be unable to race and still be a comfort car like a Cressida can back in the old days. The beauty of the Cressida is its compatible with even Toyota's new engines so long as you have the correct mods. 1JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GTE are the best choice engines since they're based from the M engines the Cressidas use. Ambitious Cressida owners do go for the raw power of the 1UZ-FE.

petraman said:
Glidah said:
My 2 month old Polo GTI. Replaced my old '97 golf CL, what a change :) :)

puts a biiiig smile on my face everytime I drive it :)

:evil:

That is a hot car my friend.
If only VW imported them to the states :x

Who knows, they just might start importing them. Especially if these new Yaris's, Fit's, and Smart's take off over here.

GM_IV said:
carey965 said:
sweet, that street looks really familar to me
where abouts in toronto are you??
Currently residing in Markham.

Markham? More like Asia, Ontario.

Koenig said:
GM_IV said:
carey965 said:
sweet, that street looks really familar to me
where abouts in toronto are you??
Currently residing in Markham.

Markham? More like Asia, Ontario.
Maybe Neo Hong Kong would be a better name. There are very few Japanese here and the Koreans seem to live around Yonge Street. Most of the mandarin speaking reside in Toronto. Then again I'm chinese :p

Status
Not open for further replies.