What's your "favorite" Japanese car company?

What's your "favorite" Japanese car company?

• Total voters
Leonidae: I'm writing, naturally, from my own viewpoint. If you go to your local Toyota dealer and try some Lexuses (the range is identical all across Europe) you will quickly find that, despite sharing components, they act completely different than their Toyota brothers. Which is my point. I don't understand how people can throw a fit over something that simple. This is my opinion, I base it on my experience, just as the americans base their opinons on their experiences, which obviously differ alot due to the differences in the markets. It seems every post needs a smiley in it or people don't get it.

Now I'll go invade Poland with my army of Germans in Empire Total War (and here's the mandatory smiley) :wave: :lol:

Thanks for the anonymous negreps! Love you too :wub:

The point is that even though Toyotas and Lexuses may drive differently (just like Hondas are different from Acuras and Nissans from Infinitis), they are the same company. Read that again - TOYOTA AND LEXUS ARE THE SAME COMPANY. They may make slightly (you seem to think "very") different cars but in the end TOYOTA AND LEXUS ARE THE SAME COMPANY. Toyota CREATED Lexus (and Scion) from the ground up. There was no merger, Toyota did not buy Lexus, it simply made it up. It doesn't matter if the two makes have different cars, what matters here is that they are the same company; not same CARS but the same COMPANY.

^^I get it; I've gotten three anonymous neg reps because I made a comment about the fact that more people than dogs died in Russia in WWII.

The point is that even though Toyotas and Lexuses may drive differently (just like Hondas are different from Acuras and Nissans from Infinitis), they are the same company. Read that again - TOYOTA AND LEXUS ARE THE SAME COMPANY. They may make slightly (you seem to think "very") different cars but in the end TOYOTA AND LEXUS ARE THE SAME COMPANY. Toyota CREATED Lexus (and Scion) from the ground up. There was no merger, Toyota did not buy Lexus, it simply made it up. It doesn't matter if the two makes have different cars, what matters here is that they are the same company; not same CARS but the same COMPANY.

By now it's pretty obvious he doesn't actually think that, he is just like every other troll on the internet trying to stir up shit. No matter how many facts are presented on one side, and how little on the other he will still continue to argue because it gets a "rise" out of people. That is the life of the troll, to annoy people.

Best to just ignore whatever he says because it's just a cry for attention.

Leonidae: I'm writing, naturally, from my own viewpoint. If you go to your local Toyota dealer and try some Lexuses (the range is identical all across Europe) you will quickly find that, despite sharing components, they act completely different than their Toyota brothers. Which is my point. I don't understand how people can throw a fit over something that simple. :

I'll throw in more confusion to that fire by adding I've driven several FWD Toyotas (not enough RWD models in the US Toyota lineup) and several Lexii including my parents LS400 and 460, as well as the IS, GS and ES models of different generations. I disagree about them feelingg worlds apart, the Lexii just feel like a more luxurious step up, but the common roots are still there.

I can't really vote since there are specific cars I like from each company. The only one I haven't driven a car from is Subaru. There are several cars I do like from each, I should be pro-Toyota since I do keep a 23 year old one that isn't called Supra, Celica or MR2. Sadly I do think their best cars were from the past, the present has some very bad ones like the 2009 North American Corolla with its low quality plastics and lousy driving dynamics.

Question of the Day: What Car Do You Love To Hate?

Jalopnik said:
We will never get tired of hating on any of the recent generations of Toyota Corollas, which are uglier and less nimble than the Corolla FX16 GT-S from the mid 1980s. Seriously, if you ask any enthusiast if they'd rather have a fair condition FX16 GT-S or a brand new, loaded Corolla they'll probably say "give me the newer one so I can sell it and buy an FX16 GT-S and three other equally awesome cars." How did the nameplate go from the AE86 to the bubbly monstrosity you see today? It's ugly. It's slow. It's cheap. It doesn't handle well. It doesn't age well. It's reliable, which only prolongs the problem.

But plenty of cars are all those things and many cars are worse. What gives us such pleasure in exercising our spite of this car? It's all about popularity. All of us know seven people, minimum, who drive a Corolla. And they love the car. For someone who has only driven a hand-me-down Oldsmobuick or a beater Hyundai, a Toyota Corolla is practically a luxury car. It's a revelation. It doesn't shake when it accelerates! We love to hear someone tell us they love their Corolla because then we can reach deep into our soul and bring out the spite. We can tell them about all the better cars they could have purchased with their hard-earned dollars. They could have gotten a stylish Fit, a fun SX4, a capable Civic or a sportier Mazda3. But they didn't. They bought a Corolla. A representation of all that's going wrong with Toyota from the perspective of an enthusiast. It's making them worse drivers. It's making them worse people. It's wrong.

My sentiments exactly; also I saw an AE86 at the local Toyota dealer's forecourt today and that sort of underlined everything.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I really liked toyota when I was a kid but now, when I'm older and was buying a car a year ago, looked everywhere for the best buy, I never thought of buying a new toyota, absolutely nothing af what they make, except for the LC120, LC100 but they stopped making that and brought that hideous LC200 crap and Hilux, those are the only toyotas that I would really consider buying but I'm only 18 now, but the thing is, the Aygo and Yaris are terrible to drive, okay, the Yaris is fine to drive but not for to long, but you feel so insecure in the Aygo, what if you get into an accident, you'll be crushed instantly, Auris is UGLY and WAY to underpowered, we only get 1.4 D4D, 1.4 and 1.6 petrol here in Iceland and also in the Corolla, the new Avensis is really good to drive but I want a V6 4WD variant! not 1.8 l petrol or 2.0 D4D NO toyota NO

AND another thing, maybe just in Iceland but toyotas are SO FRIGGING expensive......mother of god, 1.6 liter petrol Auris with the MM gearbox is the same price as a Golf GTI BRAND NEW!!!!

anyway because of this reason I choose Honda, and I also like the new Accord AND I think they should bring out that Accord Mugen version.....AWESOME!!!...also very nice to drive, but I think they should scratch that spaceship a.k.a. new Civic

but I think they should scratch that spaceship a.k.a. new Civic

What?! The current EDM Civic is great, just for the fact that it's something different and not as boring as a block of concrete, like most contenders in that class. (Obviously just imho)

That said, I still voted for Mazda. First reason is obviously the MX-5, but I think the rest of the lineup (2, 3 and 6) are pretty nice too. And then there are the rotaries... the RX-8 is pretty high up on my not-that-unrealistic-dream cars list :D

Last edited:
What?! The current EDM Civic is great, just for the fact that it's something different and not as boring as a block of concrete, like most contenders in that class. (Obviously just imho)

That said, I still voted for Mazda. First reason is obviously the MX-5, but I think the rest of the lineup (2, 3 and 6) are pretty nice too. And then there are the rotaries... the RX-8 is pretty high up on my not-that-unrealistic-dream cars list :D

I'll admit that its very nice to drive the new civic and it is a good thing to come with a new design, but......I don't know, the back is weird though

a bit offtopic, what is your opinion of the auris? it's nice to drive and all but, the interior is well put together and all but still, the design is way weird

I prefer the civic to the big-ass Megane.. it's awkward, but not THAT awkward.

Has to be Honda for me - they're doing a pretty good job of shaking off that 'pensioner' image with cars that people actually want to buy ie. new Jazz, Civic, S2000 and they still found the time to make the FCX Clarity, he car of the future

Well, for me this is tough because I like a few cars from each.

Honda/Acura: NSX and S2000
Nissan/Infiniti: Skyline (R32-34), 240SX (S13 No Silvia Conversion), Fairlady Z (240 & 300), and the G35.
Toyota/Lexus: Corolla (AE86), MR2 (2nd Gen), Celica (Supra & All-Trac), and Supra (All Gens).
Mazda: RX-7 (Namely the FC) and Mazdaspeed3.
Subaru: Impreza RS 2.0.
Mitsubishi: 3000GT/Stealth, Starion/Conquest, and Evo (Preferably 9 and Lower).

In the end I had to pick Nissan.

Mazda. For its ability to put more passion in their cars than other japanese automakers. If we compare the lineup of the japanese automakers, we can conclude that they have cars that are more desirable and less "grand mother" than Toyota or Nissan. Except for the new Mazda 3 that is rubbish, with a ridiculous face and an interior quality equal with the worst of the Soviet Union, every Mazda offers more than its competitors. And Mazda is the only one who has a car with Wankel cycle engine.

Honda do good too, but the Civic has a bad image due to young people who modify them and drive them crazy. And the new one is so ugly...

At this moment, I had to vote Mazda - a leg up on the others for making some of the best looking cars coming out of Japan today *and* for supporting racing in this country like no other manufacturer does.

Mitsubishi.

Evo_vi_99.jpg

Does it for me really....

Mazda. For its ability to put more passion in their cars than other japanese automakers. If we compare the lineup of the japanese automakers, we can conclude that they have cars that are more desirable and less "grand mother" than Toyota or Nissan. Except for the new Mazda 3 that is rubbish, with a ridiculous face and an interior quality equal with the worst of the Soviet Union, every Mazda offers more than its competitors. And Mazda is the only one who has a car with Wankel cycle engine.

It's also nice to see Mazda goes for the old school technique of trying to obtain mechanical grip rather than just cheap with electronics.

I said Mazda because at least they have some sport DNA in them (Miata, RX-8).

Toyota is just too damned bland and that goes for Plexus too. In the US their (Lexus') first ad campaigns made fun of American luxury cars like the Lincoln Town Car as a coffin on wheels, and if you bought one you were basically waiting to die. 20 years later, that's exactly what they're making only with higher quality. I see Toyotas as appliances.

Honda/Acura is a fail for me because they always make wimpy, fwd, annoying little buzzers with skinny bicycle tires. (NSX and S2000 excepted). No RWD. No V8s. No interest. Most powerful Acura ever? That isn't saying much. I see Hondas as appliances.

Nissan I have hope for but their quality is too up-and-down. And I want to like the 370Z but it's too porky. Nissan seems to be bipolar on design and quality.

Mitsubishi makes crap cars and other than the Evo I couldn't care less. But I do want an Evo.

I like Subaru for the WRX/STi but I'm disappointed how they are squandering what they had built with the WRX -- making the current gen soft, failing to execute on the Legacy GT, etc. I really had my sights set on the Legacy GT as a poor-man's BMW 5 series, but it just fails.

Suzuki? Come on.

Isuzu? Are they still in business?

So I say Mazda. At least they still have some sport in their DNA and they try to make even their boring cars interesting to look at and somewhat sporty in handling and performance.

I voted for Subaru, because I somehow like their current lineup (except for the Tribeca which should be killed to death). They've got a lot of pedigree, sometimes when I see an Impreza on the road (and it happens quite often) I can imagine clearly the equivalent STi / Rally version. That's a good thing.

Nissan.

Who the fuck says Mazda, its just funky from outside, its not powerful, doesn't drive well, and I didn't have a good experience with the reliability too. The whole company has a line up of not more than 10-15 cars, ffs ...