What's your "favorite" Japanese car company?

What's your "favorite" Japanese car company?

• Total voters
That Miatas with V6's sound amazing!

yeah the KL-ZE is one of the best sounding motors ever

:lol:

By that logic, this (a 2009 Fiat)

is the same as this (a 2009 Ferrari)

A Toyota is not a Lexus. A Tata is not a Jaguar, a Dacia is not a Renault, a Fiat is not a Ferrari.

Seriously, re-read my post before your attempt at being a smart ass with that "logic" comment.

Ferrari and Fiat share technology? Toyota and Lexus share FRAMES ENGINES and TRANSMISSIONS. In Japan Lexus' were badged as Toyota's and only recently got the Lexus badge. Lexus IS300 = Toyota Altezza. Lexus LS400/430 = Toyota Celsior. Lexus GS3/400 = Toyota Aristo, in fact the 3.0V Aristo came with the 2JZ-GTE, the twin turbo supra engine. The ES is the Toyota Windom and the SC is a Toyota Soarer.

Show me a single market that sells a Fiat F430 or a Ferrari Panda and you will have a point, if not you are doing nothing but grasping at straws. Notice how you are the ONLY one that thinks that way in this thread? Or in your head do you think you're the only one who knows what they're talking about?

Lexus wasn't a name that was bought during hard economic times, it was created BY TOYOTA to be a Luxury name.

I personally prefer Toyota/Lexus because I drive one myself, and I think they're more comfy than other Japanese cars on the market. Acuras and Infinitis aren't bad too, but in my mind, no other Japanese luxury car out there can company to Toyota/Lexus.

A mate of mine has a Ford Probe with the Mazda V6 - all these years & kms later, it still sounds brilliant.

Ferrari and Fiat share technology?
Not that I know of.
Lexus wasn't a name that was bought during hard economic times, it was created BY TOYOTA to be a Luxury name.
Finally we agree on something! I don't understand what the fuzz is about, all I'm saying is that a Lexus is a Lexus and a Toyota is a Toyota. Lexus makes cars I want but can't afford, Toyota makes cars I can afford but don't want. The brands have different target audiences, simple as that. A Volvo XC90 is not a Ford Focus ST, it's the same engine but it's not the same car. A Skoda Octavia is not, despite being built on the same platform, an Audi TT. A Dacia Sandero is not, despite being made almost entirely out of Renault parts, a Renault Clio.

If a Lexus were only a Toyota, they would run out of customers fast. There's a reason people pay three times as much for a Lexus as they do for a Toyota, it's because the two are not equal. As for my previous pondering, I have now come up with a segment asian car manufacturers have been class leaders in for years, hybrids.

Last edited:
Nope.
Finally we agree on something! I don't understand what the fuzz is about, all I'm saying is that a Lexus is a Lexus and a Toyota is a Toyota. Lexus makes cars I want but can't afford, Toyota makes cars I afford but don't want. The brands have different target audiences, simple as that. A Volvo XC90 is not a Ford Focus ST, it's the same engine but it's not the same car. A Skoda Octavia is not, despite being built on the same platform, an Audi TT. A Dacia Sandero is not, despite being made almost entirely out of Renault parts, a Renault Clio.

If a Lexus were only a Toyota, they would run out of customers fast. There's a reason people pay three times as much for a Lexus as they do for a Toyota, it's because the two are not equal. As for my previous pondering, I have now come up with a segment asian car manufacturers have been class leaders in for years, hybrids.

:wall: You're completely missing the point! Let's go through the Lexus lineup:

Lexus ES: Exact same chassis, drivetrain, and shitloads of other important parts as a Toyota Camry.
Lexus RX: Exact same chassis, drivetrain, and shitloads of other important parts as a Toyota Highlander.
Lexus GX: Exact same chassis, drivetrain, and shitloads of other important parts as a Toyota 4Runner
Lexus LX: Exact same chassis, drivetrain, some sheetmetal, and shitloads of other important parts as a Toyota Land Cruiser (Amazon)

...UNLIKE the Skoda Octavia, whose platform actually went through modifications to become the TT's, ie being flattened a bit.

Lexus LS: EXACTLY the same as a JDM Toyota Celsior apart from badges (and trim details), until Toyota discontinued the Celsior and brought the Lexus brand home.
Lexus GS: EXACTLY the same as a JDM Toyota Aristo apart from badges (and trim details), until Toyota discontinued the Aristo and brought the Lexus brand home.
Lexus IS: EXACTLY the same as a JDM Toyota Altezza apart from badges (and trim details), until Toyota discontinued the Altezza and brought the Lexus brand home.
Lexus SC: EXACTLY the same as a JDM Toyota Soarer apart from badges (and trim details), until Toyota discontinued the Soarer and brought the Lexus brand home. Plus it's an ugly slow posemobile for brand-snob trophy wives and isn't worth mentioning.

Oh, and no Lexus is 3 times as expensive as its equivalent Toyota; I have no idea where you got that number from. Lexuses are Toyotas with lipstick. The end. The fact that American consumers don't give a shit just speaks to the kind of person that buys a Lexus.

Last edited:
Except Toyota doesn't actually make anything worth owning anymore. MR2 is dead, supra dead.... in their place the Prius. I can't forgive them for this sin :p

yeah the Prius was bad, but I think unlike in Mericuh, nobody buys it here because almost every diesel car you can buy gets better mileage and is nicer to drive...

Thinking back I could also have said Mazda, but aside from the MX they've been making for a million years I don't see it. Yeah they have the MPS Mazdas but I don't think they're even available here since mucho hp = taxed through the nose.

at this point i refuse to believe anyone can be this stupd... AiR you are a king among trolls my hat is off to you sir... you had me raging to the point i talked about you to my car nerd friends...

Raging over asian cars? Well, thats probably the first instance of a Toyota provoking any kind of feeling, so that's good.

Lexus ES
Lexus GX
Lexus LX
Not sold here.

Toyota Camry
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Celsior
Toyota Aristo
Toyota Altezza
Toyota Soarer
Not sold here. :p

Lexus and Toyota are smart enough not to compete with eachother here, so there are no equivalent models.

^ The new Avensis and the cheapest Lexus has exactly the same dash, and I guess, lots and lots of similar parts. In fact what Toyota did to make the new Avensis better was just to give it more Lexus parts. Brilliant! Not.

:p

The only reason Honda makes cars is because they need to fund the motorcycle and racing divisions.

Really?
800px-Suby_justy.jpg

:p

I voted Subaru, simply BECAUSE of the Justy. It's a small car with an ok 4wd system and very low weight. As far as I can see it, it only has 2 flaws: 1. It rusts 2. It's gutless. But just swap in a 1.8 boxer turbo from the leone, and you have yourself a seriously fast, fun car.

Shame on you.

EDIT:
A vid for reference:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEbctzy00vY&feature=related[/youtube]

I know it's a leone swingback, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I did not ask about brand loyalty. There are cars from every single company in this poll that I really like. Hell, I own a Nissan, voted for Honda, yet might own a Mazda in the near future. Its NOT about brand loyalty. Its about which company do you think has the most fun cars (or greatest or however you want to put it).

Again, no real answer to that, because that answer is too fluid with any brand and changes from decade to decade. Remember when Toyota was one of the kings of performance cars, and now its branded as making the most boring cars on earth? It shows things and opinions keep changing from generation to generation and ppl can't decide on one thing. That's why most of the answers in this thread kinda lose their meaning.

Raging over asian cars? Well, thats probably the first instance of a Toyota provoking any kind of feeling, so that's good.

Not sold here.

Not sold here. :p

Lexus and Toyota are smart enough not to compete with eachother here, so there are no equivalent models.

picard-facepalm.jpg

dude.. seriously. who cares if they're not sold in Sweden? they're sold in the rest of the world ( which matters more than Sweden), and Toyota and Lexus have a lot of parts that can be changed from Lexus to Toyota and vice versa, which makes sense because they're essentially same cars, only the bodywork and such are slightly different. why is this so difficult for you to understand?

And about VAG cars.. some of them share a lot, some of them don't. Golf and A3? look different, but same car underneath. engine, drivetrain etc etc are exactly the same. Passat and A4 used to have same drivetrain etc until Passat moved on to transversely mounted engine. See the pattern here? car manufacturers are a lot like redneck family. they share a lot and keep things within the family. :lol:

Again, no real answer to that, because that answer is too fluid with any brand and changes from decade to decade. Remember when Toyota was one of the kings of performance cars, and now its branded as making the most boring cars on earth? It shows things and opinions keep changing from generation to generation and ppl can't decide on one thing. That's why most of the answers in this thread kinda lose their meaning.

I agree but the question I'm posing is which make do you like more overall; that is, considering everything they've built. Key word being "overall" - of course all these companies have had their moments and have made fantastic machines.
Example (warning: personal opinion coming) - while I like some Mitsubishi cars, overall I don't care much for them. The Evo is great; the 3000GT VR4 was cool but I was never a huge fan, it just didn't do it for me; DSMs are meh (although I will admit that they perform well... when they are running :p). Toyota/Lexus - I don't really like any Lexus models; on the Toyota side I don't really like the new (relatively) MR-S, but I do like the old MR2 and the Supra. And yet, they are not quite "there" for me, so to speak. The NSX and, to a lesser degree, the S2000 make me happy. I love those things. I can watch NSX or S2k in-car racing footage all day long. So what if the Skyline is faster or the 240Z looks better! Honda happens to have made more cars that I really like/respect than other manufacturers, simple as that. (Again, I like certain cars from all makers; I'm not saying that only Honda makes good cars.)

i voted nissan, i have had 2 now and they have never gone wrong in about 4 years of ownership. cant complain with that, especially seeing how they get or got treated sometimes. worst thing that has happend so far is the fuel pump connector corroding a bit.

I can't really vote since there are specific cars I like from each company. The only one I haven't driven a car from is Subaru. There are several cars I do like from each, I should be pro-Toyota since I do keep a 23 year old one that isn't called Supra, Celica or MR2. Sadly I do think their best cars were from the past, the present has some very bad ones like the 2009 North American Corolla with its low quality plastics and lousy driving dynamics.

Leonidae: I'm writing, naturally, from my own viewpoint. If you go to your local Toyota dealer and try some Lexuses (the range is identical all across Europe) you will quickly find that, despite sharing components, they act completely different than their Toyota brothers. Which is my point. I don't understand how people can throw a fit over something that simple. This is my opinion, I base it on my experience, just as the americans base their opinons on their experiences, which obviously differ alot due to the differences in the markets. It seems every post needs a smiley in it or people don't get it.

Now I'll go invade Poland with my army of Germans in Empire Total War (and here's the mandatory smiley) :wave: :lol:

Thanks for the anonymous negreps! Love you too :wub:

Last edited: