What’s your favorite technology?

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Randomly got to thinking about how much consumer tech has progressed in recent years and tried to think of what my favorite is.
I would have to say the biggest game changer for
me was bluetooth, having to commute by train not being tethered to my device with a cable is priceless.
Second favorite has to be induction charging, being able to just put my phone or headphones on a pad and not have to plug in is great.

So what are your favorites?

Being able to search ANYTHING. Unit converter? Sure! Math calculation? Yeah man! BTU input based on gas pressure and what the temperature correction factor is? *yawn.*

Being able to research anything at such a fast pace is so incredible so really helpful with day to day tasks. I wouldn’t give that ability up for anything.

4G and the internet in general yadda yadda yadda.

But...
Scott® Tube-Free toilet paper delivers premium softness without the wasteful tube.
Tube-Free toilet paper has been discontinued by Kimberly-Clark Corp., but is still available at select retailers while supplies last.

scott-2.jpg

I'm not joking it's a life changing product

Empty-toilet-paper1.jpg

I bought a bunch when it was announced they were being discontinued. It's a Concorde moment, a giant step backwards for humanity, and a shame more didn't get to experience it.

The only replacement is to get a Japanese Toto Toilet Seat Bidet. But that means getting an electrician for the additional outlet behind the toilet and it's not a total solution.

. But that means getting an electrician for the additional outlet behind the toilet and it's not a total solution.
I actually have an outlet right next to the toilet where the light switch is, so it’s bit easier for me

I'll have to agree on 4G. I'd add smartphones to that. I remember how it felt when I got my first smartphone (which was 4G-enabled), being able to surf the internet at speeds faster than the WiFi I had back at time at home was awesome, more so because I could do it almost anywhere I wanted.

Also, this thread made me realise how much we take technology for granted. I don't even think about how convenient my 22.5W fast phone charger is. Or all the wonderful possibilities that USB-C gives us, some of which I'm sure I'm not even aware of yet. The ease of use that fast internet and WiFi give us? I still remember, although vaguely, the times of dial-up internet. Not to mention all the wonderful things that smartphones are able to do. From instant messaging to NFC, those are all the things I take for granted now.

, this thread made me realise how much we take technology for granted.
It's true, though funnily enough to me convenience of bluetooth and smartphones somewhat coincided, I got a Blackberry as a work phone in 07 right before iPhone came out, which had an A2DP BT profile so I also got some BT headphones to go with it. They were actually a pretty well thought out design, aside from charging base they could be charged by a cable directly (though it was proprietary) and also came with a stereo to BT adapter, so I could use it with my TV and such. That in turn meant that I could actually use a single pair for everything I could need/want, laptop, tv, music, etc...

Current style of smartphones is pretty damn impressive as well, I remember the old WinMO crap along with crackberry...

Last edited:
I think it has to be my current phone combined with the internet. It has more memory than my first laptop, shoots in higher resolution than my DSLR, has a battery that lasts all day even when I hammer it, is basically the Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy in terms of the information I can access on it, a jukebox for any song I might want to hear, fits in a pocket and cost less than two hundred quid.

I love technology! These are my favorites!

X7R4f6L.png

RKed7yX.png

Z5JLvIB.png

ZYoYmKK.png

rdjpIDT.png

TU4xMOg.png

Jz5ddPT.png

nbj6qAy.png

iwRFZWC.png

PBWEqG9.png

szk4R0b.png

lr1t99R.png

w4aGROA.png

HAXk5nP.png

YWII5sk.png

oyVOfiT.png

oZArp9B.png

X8gTv74.png

yeah IoT is pretty retarded... Especially because most companies that make those rarely go past "hey that would be cool". Though if the guy's oscilloscope lost its IP that's basically his fault. Set up your DHCP correctly and won't have that issue.

Last edited:
For me it's a double-edged sword - but I have to say that the modern Internet is the most groundbreaking thing since the telegram. (Old fuck warning)

As a kid, I remember having to do research with card catalogs, encyclopedias, and books that were usually years out of date. Now we get to watch history being authored and interpreted in near-real-time. I have a phone in my pocket that is connected to the whole of human knowledge, is a universal translator, and can send me into VR with the right accessory. On the down side, it is nearly impossible to stay anonymous today, every movement online and in the meat-space is tracked, interpreted, packaged, and sold as a product. Sometimes I kind of long for the days when you could navigate the world and be invisible.

I love technology! These are my favorites!

I use or have used many of those products...

iwRFZWC.png

2YfxYbmvd4rmYY5KHwx76h-480-80.jpg

So my Amazon Echo Flex Bluetooth connects to a Bose speaker in my shower. The Flex replaces the Echo Dot because with the Flex I got the LED nightlight that can change colors and fend off monsters. I could see a speaker built in to my showerhead as a better alternative to the speaker set up I have.

Z5JLvIB.png

2667db98e6a5ad5b01efee866663381b2311be73-14.jpg

I apparently did not save the app data but we found the Tenga Men's Loupe while in a drug store in Japan. It was very entertaining if only to translate the instructions on counting your sperm.

ZYoYmKK.png

It's called "teledildonic"

Screenshot_20200130-110456.jpg

Screenshot_20200130-112846.jpg

It's kinda nice in music mode for festivals and concerts
Screenshot_20200130-112802.jpg

You can also share patterns with friends

P.S. my user name is the same on Lovense

For me it's a double-edged sword - but I have to say that the modern Internet is the most groundbreaking thing since the telegram. (Old fuck warning)

As a kid, I remember having to do research with card catalogs, encyclopedias, and books that were usually years out of date. Now we get to watch history being authored and interpreted in near-real-time. I have a phone in my pocket that is connected to the whole of human knowledge, is a universal translator, and can send me into VR with the right accessory. On the down side, it is nearly impossible to stay anonymous today, every movement online and in the meat-space is tracked, interpreted, packaged, and sold as a product. Sometimes I kind of long for the days when you could navigate the world and be invisible.

Eh, just leave the mobile phone at home and don't buy a car that has a data plan. Right now that's still feasible but I know what you mean.

Also buy everything with cash, and work only for cash since banks track purchases/withdrawals and sell that data. If you do, you can end up on a terrorism watchlist, so that would be fun.

Also buy everything with cash, and work only for cash since banks track purchases/withdrawals and sell that data. If you do, you can end up on a terrorism watchlist, so that would be fun.

Germans seem to get along just fine.

I'll also say LED Technology. As well as connected bulbs especially LIFX color changing bulbs

Fairly certain Germans get paid with a check if not direct deposit...
Cheques are totally dead here. We use bank transfer and direct debit for almost everything. Credit cards have started to become a thing, though, but we mostly don't use them the American way.

I like how this thread is has seen one of the fastest topic derailments ever. :D

Cheques are totally dead here. We use bank transfer and direct debit for almost everything. Credit cards have started to become a thing, though, but we mostly don't use them the American way.

I like how this thread is has seen one of the fastest topic derailments ever. :D
Since it’s already derailed... So you do use bank cards to pay for stuff then just don’t use credit?

The usual way here is that the monthly credit card bill gets paid by direct debit from the connected bank account automatically. So, a credit card mainly acts as a buffer until the end of the month.
Apart from pre-paid credit cards, of course.

When paying with a debit card, you pay immediately from your bank account.