What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
FG Hive Mind - since we have nearly a 500km round trip in a rental to get there do I go native and rent a Dacia Sandero for 9/10 of fuck all, or go full Albanian Mafia and spend a fuckton on a black Mercedes?
[x] Buy Yugo/Zastava/Polski Fiat/Zhiguli

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Forgot these. Some high-drain 4AH Ryobi One+ batteries for my One+ tools on sale for more than half off.

I use a Makita impact wrench already, but since I happen to have so many One+ tools it seemed a good idea to get one that used that battery system as well - so I also picked up a Ryobi P263 3/8" impact wrench when I spotted one for half off.

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
one+?

is that the same one+ from the phones?
No, it's a Ryobi trade name for their extensive system of power tools and accessories that all use a specific form factor of 18V battery. There's some ludicrous number of tools that work with this system and the fact that everything except a couple of early chargers is backwards and forwards compatible means that as tech advances, your old tools can gain improvements by swapping in new-tech batteries.

https://www.ryobitools.ca/power-tools/products/list/family/one-plus

I like my Makita better, but these Ryobis are pretty good, especially for the money.

Last edited:

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
We use the crap out of our Ryobi tools and they just keep working. Unlike the old ni-cad batteries, the lith-ion seem pretty bomb proof too. Though I had one die on me.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
Some days I wish I had invested in Ryobi instead of Makita. Their tools are good but the price always hurts. I was concerned about the build quality of Ryobi but that doesn’t seem to be issue.

Regarding battery tech, my Makita to Bosch battery adapter is finally here from China to allow me to use the cordless Bosch Vacuum (GAS 18V-10L/3N) I picked up on sale a couple of weeks ago with my 4 and 5Ah batteries. It’s arguably better than the Makita equivalent while being half the price. Despite being a blue Bosch too it’s probably more cheaply made and lacks a brushless motor but that’s fine by me.

I’m quite pleased that I didn’t just throw money at Bosch batteries, AvE isn’t exactly impressed with their latest version.

Last edited: