What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Added bonus? Zoé Colotis is incredibly...

What's the French for "va-va-voom"?

Bonus points to anyone who gets that reference. A Brit, most likely.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Added bonus? Zoé Colotis is incredibly...

Oh, no doubt. I may have a thing for female vocalists as so many are so incredible with their talents. ;)

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster, ?

Sadly, I’ve failed to erase old Renault adverts from my memory. I’m sure I could remember something more useful.

Reactions: MWF

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
Yes, but don't forget that before Thierry Henry was cast, they used to feature the stunning Helene Mahieu...

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Nice. I've got a tabletop Delta that's proven to be pretty OK.

At some point, I'd like to upgrade to one with a dial-controlled speed and display. If i can throw money at an annoyance with tools, I'll do it if I think it means that I'll actually be more motivated to use it...and the belts/pulleys is one of those annoyances. There's a Rikon and a jet that about $500 that have a lever control for speed, rather than having to manually move pulleys/belts, getting dirty hands so then either wasting rubber gloves or stopping work to go wash my hands, etc.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
If you're feeling frisky, you can convert your existing press to a variable-speed control a couple of ways. A 3-phase motor and a VFD is a pretty common swap and can be done for ~$100USD, or if you are feeling extra-techy and extra-cheap, grab a free treadmill off of Craigslist and rip the DC motor and controller out of it. Replace the treadmill circuit board with a 5K pot and adapt the motor to your pulley set. Lots of guides out there for either route.

Personally, I don't mind swapping belts. Lots of the conversions are from guys whose drills don't have a low enough minimum RPM for metal or large wood bores - mine goes down to 150 RPM so that's not a concern for me.

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
See, since this hobby can only be done on weekends, during the day, when the weather cooperates (since my "shop" is the drivway,, I don't have the luxury of time for things like this. While I would actually probably find it interesting and would learn a lot, it would likely take me months...months which I wouldn't be doing the woodworking stuff I really love. So I'm OK with throwing some dollars at a "finished" solution. Same reason I keep replacing more tools with cordless. The time I'm not having to deal with extension cords, the more time I have for "doing". I know it probably seems silly, but if it's the difference between my worth-$200 drill press, $100 more in parts, and then 2 months of weekends, then I'd just sooner spend the additinal $200 on one with the adjustment lever and digital readout, and then have 2 months of use out of it. :)

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
Also treated HWF3.0 and I to a trip to the Chichester Festival Theatre last night to see the Olivier Award winning touring production of A Monster Calls.

Utterly brilliant. I never got around to watching the movie version, but it's one hell of a story, kicked us both right in the feels and left us speechless for a good half hour afterwards.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
My Black and Decker Mouse sander crapped out on me last night with a loud bang, bright flash and a lingering smell of ozone.

Cue a Bosch replacement....

...and matching sanding sheets. Clever design to the tip of the sheets to get maximum use. Hoping that the shape reminiscent of a Wankel rotor isn't an indicator of reliability.

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
Come on, you should have bought replacement smoke instead of a new sander... :p

I know, the website states it's for wiring harnesses, but the industry wants to believe that so we don't use the replacement smoke on other electrical items which released their in-built smoke. Believe me, I have fixed so many items with replacement smoke it's uncanny...

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster, ?
Speaking of sanders, after seeing it in a Giaco Whatever video I went and bought what could be the smallest bench belt sander in existence. Cost me £30.

It's a simple device with a basic motor and no electronics, but that means it should be pretty much bulletproof. It accepts 12V to 24V so I can have control over the speed if I want. I'm currently working on a centre console panel for Bob and having this to round the edges of sheet aluminium, while taking up two thirds of bugger all space is great.

I think I need to add the option for a second fixing to keep the platform in the horizontal position though, it currently wants to fold down as shown above.

Last edited:

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
My 5th tire in 12 months. Thankfully, until this one, it's been a different tire each time...and this one was the same as the first (oldest) one. So...yay, I guess.