What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

How do you like it, @LP ? I've been looking for something like that for a little more aggressive cleaning of the cars at home.

I have yet to open it since it started raining the day after I got it ?

But as soon as I get a chance to open and work with it, I'll let you know. Taking it straight to the hubs of my car to get the brake dust out

After a weekend struggling trying to make some hexagon-shaped wood frames, after 5 years of fighting with my Kreg miter gauge, I ordered the Incra I should have bought in the first place, thinking I was saving money.

The issues with the Kreg:
1. The Kreg uses these tiny plastic set screws to take up the slack in the miter slot, which are so tight in the bar that they strip easily, and are so soft they squish easily if you push too hard against the fence.
2. The stop block with a clear window and a line doesn't represent any part of the actual stop, so there's no sense in using the ruler with this stop block.
3. There are pre-set angles, with a peg that is supposed to fit into holes for frequently-used angles. The trouble is that the pin is SUCH a tight fit that I ended up basically mangling the head of the peg trying to pull it out, and bending the t-slot bar in the process.
4. If you want to use an angle other than the handful of presets, there's no way to lock it, and the handle doesn't screw tight enough to secure the position.

This Incra gauge fixes all of those issues, while also giving more angle presets, can tilt further for wider angles, with a more secure stop block, and also an extension wing to support longer stock.

1606786915976.png

That brings back memories. I had one as a kid in the mid 1970's. But mine looked a bit different, being of the first generation. Not my pic but mine looked the same.

Snowracer.jpg

That brings back memories. I had one as a kid in the mid 1970's. But mine looked a bit different, being of the first generation. Not my pic but mine looked the same.

View attachment 3559751
I had one of those in the early 90s (also not my pic).

J7aoAeG.jpg

A friend of mine lived on a really awesome hill. He still does, in fact, since he bought his childhood home and now lives there with his family.

We used to have all sorts of fun there with our snowracers. I remember the last time I tried it, in my teens, but I ended up walking back down with a "fuck that, I'll kill myself" look on my face. That's when I knew I wasn't a kid anymore.

Yay.

F1434945-1CAD-4404-854B-7A5E3EBF4892.jpeg

Bought some purpleheart and some padauk (puh-DOOK), the second-most fun-to-say wood, next to cocobolo.

Attachments

• 20210207_172954.jpg
    20210207_172954.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 85
If you like those you should watch Frank Howarth’s videos. I mean, you probably do but I just wanted to make sure. :p

I keep losing my 13mm spanners so I got 3 cheap 13mm ones from Amazon to put in strategic 'safe' places inside the bobtail. Faithfull is a UK brand but at £2.33 each something tells me these aren't made in the UK. They'll be fine.

I also got 13mm single-hex sockets in 1/4" and 3/8" flavours because, you guessed it, I lost those too. I'm sure they're in the back of the truck somewhere. They were about the same price so will probably shatter at some point. I have impact sockets for more critical stuff.

IMG_0847_S1920.jpg

I did find one of my 13mm spanners on Saturday but it took too long and who leaves spanners on the passenger's seat?! I also have my 13mm Wera Joker 'show spanner' but I ain't risking that getting lost.

Can’t have too many tools. I just bought a new adjustable hammer today.
1620247823880.jpeg

I paid something like €15 and, who woulda thunk it, it’s a whole lot better than my last one which came free bundled with some kind of cheap power tool or something back in the day. For starters, it doesn’t sound like sleigh bells when you shake it.

Can’t have too many tools. I just bought a new adjustable hammer today.
View attachment 3561081
I paid something like €15 and, who woulda thunk it, it’s a whole lot better than my last one which came free bundled with some kind of cheap power tool or something back in the day. For starters, it doesn’t sound like sleigh bells when you shake it.

Ah, the metric adjustable!

It looks pretty and it looks expensive. It looks pretty expensive. :drums:

What is that? I'm a sucker for layered bodies like that.

Ibanez SR1200VNF, it's from a few years back in their Premium line, not quite as fancy as the Prestige line but same electronics. Mahogany body, Ovangkol top, and I think walnut/maple layers with a 5pc Wenge/Bubinga neck. The Nordstrand Big Singles pickups are the big upgrades over the lower models, plus the single-string bridges and a nicer EQ.

It looks pretty and it looks expensive. It looks pretty expensive. :drums:

It was definitely a fairly pricey unit new. I bought it from a drummer who doesn't play bass, who bought it from his brother who's a guitarist that doesn't play bass. It's absolutely mint, looks basically unplayed. $850 got me the bass, case, a 50W Yorkville amp and a crazy 80s Ibanez multi-effect board that's apparently quite rare.

I may sell the amp and board as I'm pretty set in that department - I guess I didn't post the amp I bought a while back.

URMPyB8.jpg

200W of tube, plus it matches my cab! She's a ripper.