What's Your Personal Top Speed?

bicycle: 70-ish km/h, I didn't dare to keep my eyes on the speedo for long
car: 210 km/h indicated in both dad's Passat and Sixt's 1 series
train: 320 km/h on the ICE train from Paris back to Germany
maglev: 400+ km/h on the test track in Germany, can't find the picture
plane: however much the simulated Caravelle did during the emergency descent :D

It is limited. It is just a bit slow to realize and not all that accurate. It kicks in somewhere between (indicated) 265 and whenever it feels like it indicated. It just kills power. Highest as mentioned so far was 272 indicated which were iirc 262 GPS. Got a screengrab of that somewhere, but I cba right now. May have been 260,2... not sure but 26x definitely, making the 250 kph limiter still pretty inaccurate, and the instruments surprisingly accurate for the speed. That is merely ~4% at top speed..

I see.

Roughly 115-120mph in a Nissan Altima.

Land speed was on the Shinkansen between Tokyo and Kyoto. I think it reaches around 300 kmh on the fastest stretches. I can highly recommend it as a way to get around Japan, even though it's often more expensive than the alternatives. On road I haven't gone more than about 180 kmh in the Merc.

Last edited:
As a passenger: GPS 262km/h in a 1999 Opel Astra swapped to a 3.2 V6

Driving myself: Indicated 235-240km/h in my Mk4 Golf GTI (2.3 V5 20-Valve 170hp)

Driving myself, without a roof ;) : Indicated 230 km/h in my BMW E46 320ci (2.2 170hp)

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk

As a passenger: ~67,000 miles per hour. Would be more enjoyable, but too many of the people riding along were real jerks.

Are you referring to the speed at which the Earth orbits the Sun?

As a passenger: ~67,000 miles per hour. Would be more enjoyable, but too many of the people riding along were real jerks.

Are you referring to the speed at which the Earth orbits the Sun?

I guess so. The math checks out.

But if you're being pedantic, argatoga, you should have said 490,000 miles per hour, relative to the center of the galaxy. :p

Car: 130mph in a Mazdaspeed6
Motorcycle: GPS verified 115 (125 indicated) on the Tenere. I've seen 130ish on the Griso but who knows what that is actual speed versus indicated.
Other: 563mph in a Learjet 75 from Billings MT to Dallas TX.

230-ish km/h in my 605 SV24 many years ago. There was still some grunt left in the engine but the trim around the windshield blew off so it was time to brake.

But if you're being pedantic, argatoga, you should have said 490,000 miles per hour, relative to the center of the galaxy. :p

Yeah, but how fast is the *galaxy* going?

Can't remember exactly, but something 22x km/h indicated on the CBR 1000RR. It would have gone a lot faster but the rider chickened out :p

Nonsense, the ether does not move. :p

255kph in my old Falcon G6ET. 235kph in a Ferrari 488 GTB around a race track.