What's your REALISTIC dream car? (under ~$40k US)

p0w3r said:
Jostyrostelli said:
2002 BMW X5 4.6is
0-60: 6.5

Is that really seconds? :wink: :mrgreen:
hard to believe eh?
that's faster then some sports sedans like the audi A4, volvo s40 T4, acura TSX (to name a few).

But then again a X5 4.6is (now the 4.8is) starts at $70,495USD :shock:
Not that bad considering the Cayenne Turbo starts much higher.

I may be late to the thread...

I may be late to the thread...

I'd buy a 1993+ Toyota MR2 Turbo, black, hardtop in mint condition with very low mileage then proceed to modify it in a calm, logical manner to keep great driveability (Wide tourqe curve) while being able to really haul some ass. 350WHP will get it into the high to mid 11s.

And I can't forget about suspension. They already grip like mad, but the more the better, right?

The car pictured is the one I was about to buy :(

http://www.kasou-a.com/Epic_Gamer/pictures/mr2/IMG_3092_Web.jpg

If I had to buy an SUV I would make a beeline for a Range Rover.

Yeah, i would prefer a Range Rover over any SUV IF i were to choose one, with the X5 as the only other possible choice.

m_power do you think BMW has made an ugly model recently??

im sure many will agree that the rear of the 7 series looks ugly and the new 3 is unappealing.

you would cop out by saying looks are subjective EVEN IF we can conclude with a majority saying a car is ugly or beautiful.

MPower said:
p0w3r said:
Jostyrostelli said:
2002 BMW X5 4.6is

hard to believe eh?
that's faster then some sports sedans like the audi A4, volvo s40 T4, acura TSX (to name a few).

But the Cayanne Turbo is on a completely different level...0-60 in 5.4secs. That's better then some sportscars! And not to mention that the interior of the Cayanne is just awesome (too bad the exterior is bland).

p0w3r said:
MPower said:
p0w3r said:
Jostyrostelli said:
2002 BMW X5 4.6is

hard to believe eh?

But the Cayanne Turbo is on a completely different level...0-60 in 5.4secs. That's better then some sportscars! And not to mention that the interior of the Cayanne is just awesome (too bad the exterior is bland).
Well, you can say that. I remember evo, I think, did a review of the Cayenne S vs. X5 4.6is vs. ML55 AMG. The X5 4.6is won that one, but I have never seen the Cayenne Turbo compared with the X5 4.8is. I think it would be more interesting that you think.... but the Turbo does perform amazingly well.

justin, the X3 doesnt bother me. It has some angles where I think that it is odd, but its not enough to put me off. I have gotten used the 7-Series and I think it looks fine. The new E90 3-Series might be the perfect execution of the Bangle-era styling concept (either that or the Z4 or 6-Series). It looks so much more interesting than the bland A4s and C-Classes. It has so much presense and character that those other cars lack. But I do not think that there is a generally ugly vehicle in the BMW lineup. But thats and me (and other experts agree... as I posted in other threads).

ok i am getting to like the 5 series although i still think it would have been better as a 3 because the interior looks really cheap and the outside doesnt have a gracefull luxurious look, but then luxury wasnt the aim in BMW agenda. it is as it looks, performance sedan.

BUT, i still think the bangle's designs are more like attepts at art work than car designs.

the Z4 looks great with the combination of soft round body and hard lines almost scratched into the smooth round body.

the 7 looks good until you reach the unnecessarily complicated tail llghts with the trunk lid. the rear really does damage to an otherwise pretty good design.

this new 3 however, 2005, is far too complex, too complicated as if it was abstract art.

you need to look at it for a while but it does not result in an aquired taste such as the 5 or 7series. the body has raised lines in the body and indednted area below the door handles. it, like most bangle BMWs, has too many unnecessary lines in the body but also doesnt have a structured or smooth or even symetrical look.

an example of what i mean is the fact that thise edgy lined car has round mirrors which just throw things off due to the rest of the car being rectangular or edgy.

its just too com-plicated for an entry level car, you'd expect that from Pagani or a supercar maker or even other sports cars but not for a entry level car.

and the lights are really ugly by themselves, the rear especially but then again, besides the Z4, X5, there is no BMW with nice rear tail lights that round out the rear of the car.

IMO.

and sure it is not at bland as the C-class or A4's but it is not the way to design a car, IMO. his designs are off, too radical and complicated, but his aim or intention of separating the BMW lineup and making them look different was achieved.

the old BMWs did look too similar and bland but no need to go far out and extreme to make a different looking car.

by the way the articles you posted a while back gave acclaim to BMWs not purely on looks or styling. some were realating to technological achivements i think.

get me articles were bangles look achieves acclaim, exterior styling only.

justin syder said:
by the way the articles you posted a while back gave acclaim to BMWs not purely on looks or styling. some were realating to technological achivements i think.

get me articles were bangles look achieves acclaim, exterior styling only.
I already have. I think one of the articles was technical. Most of them were for styling.

come on boys you can do better than that bunch of family wagons

tiger-z100-mk2.jpg

tiger-z100-0-to-60.jpg

http://www.tigerracing.com/cars/tiger-z100-main.php

the worlds fasest 0-60 car, yep checkout that pic that is Twin GSXR 1000cc Suzuki engines.

so thats 2 gears boxes as well and the 6 forward and 6 reverse gears and both boxes can shift seperatly to each other.

Thats my choice :)

Ruu

[/img]

i am confused. 2 gear boxes. so if you shift at the redline for one...doesnt it mean you over rev the other one? or do they shift together in one go?

btw HKS sell clutchless sequencial 6 speed 'boxes. so its jsut like driving in the arcade~!!!

you can shift them independantly. it's a dual lever, you can press them both, or 1 at the time. must be great for drifting no? low rpms on the front wheels, high rpms on the rear wheels

but 6 reverse speeds??

bone said:
must be great for drifting no? low rpms on the front wheels, high rpms on the rear wheels.

You'd need 2 accelerators for that, which means you'd need 3 feet.

I guess if the boxes are sequential you could get away with not using the clutch, so maybe 2 feet would be OK after all :)

what!?!??!?!?! i am so confused now 2 accellerator? i would imagine that it should have the conventional 3 pedals whcih work the 2 engines at the same time and a gear box that works both engines at the sametime. i mean how can that whcih is so narrow fit, what i belivie from waht i have read...fucking 2A pedels 1B pedel and 2 fucking C pedels and 2 gear knobs

jasonchiu said:
what!?!??!?!?! i am so confused now 2 accellerator? i would imagine that it should have the conventional 3 pedals whcih work the 2 engines at the same time and a gear box that works both engines at the sametime. i mean how can that whcih is so narrow fit, what i belivie from waht i have read...fucking 2A pedels 1B pedel and 2 fucking C pedels and 2 gear knobs

hehe cool isn't it, to best see how it works, download this video that Jostyrostelli kindly sent me the other day.

http://ruuman.serveftp.net/z100.wmv

it's about 7 meg, so be gentle as it's running off my internet connection

Enjoy :D
Ruu

yo some one holla at my question i mean i am SO confused man. you got to be pretty skillful to drive that thing. and is it still the fastest to 60?

What does your car do to 60 Jason?

haz

jasonchiu said:
yo some one holla at my question i mean i am SO confused man. you got to be pretty skillful to drive that thing. and is it still the fastest to 60?

ok jason this is the setup

1 engine to drive the front wheels
1 engine to drive the back

2 gearbox with 6 sequencial forward gears with 2 gears shifts

1 tranfser box to reverse the drive of the rear engine (so 6 reverse gears)

The throttle is on 1 pedal

No electroninc to match engine speeds so basically the power takes the path of least traction out. this means serious wheel from front and rear when you least expect it.

when you shift the g/box idependantly so you rear box is in 2nd and you front is in 1st. you completely unbalance the car and stupid drifts will be capable, though you must be careful as you run the risk of forcing the front engining past it's physical limit.

Basically as you said a lot of skill is required, as far as I know it's still the fastest and thats the old model holding the record. The new one is even quicker!!!!!!!!

Thinking about it I guess you could put the front engine in forward gear and the rear in reverse and wheel spin in different directions!! Why you would want to do this I don't know. :D

ruu