Wheel Shufflers

blazer

which episode is this in?? its the news where they're talking bout soemthign, and Clarkson brings up Wheel Shufflers

Oh, you mean the shaking hand thingy. It looks like they were mastrubating, right? :lol:

[edit by Quiky; One smiley is enough.]

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few episodes that he talks about them (Hammond even joined him once) but one specific one that I remember is 5x08. Around minute 15:50.

It's whenever they talk about the institute of advanced motorists. I think they have mentioned it a couple of times.

I've been wondering, what exactly is wheel shuffling?

When you keep both hands on the wheel, but you slide them up and down with varying grip to control the wheel, rather than letting go and crossing your arms..

they call it push pull at BSM - you move your hands from quarter to three, to the top, then grip with the left hand to go left, right hand to go right and move both your hands down, then switch the grip at the bottom and move to the top and continue to lock

it's basically a way of steering for retards

i think not crashing is safer myself like.

Its supposily safer that way, particularly with air bag steering wheels. hmmm

And with 'push-pull' (or wheel-shuffling, as it's known) you've always got one hand stationary on the steering wheel at all times, theoretically. So yes, it's probably safer. It's how we're taught to drive here in the UK, and it's fine for learning and passing your test. It just seems to get forgotten as soon as you pass.

It's also handy for drifting. You won't run out of steering until you hit full lock.

I was just watching that episode yesterday... Series 6, Episode 9 :)

Last edited:
It's also handy for drifting. You won't run out of steering until you hit full lock.

errrr, have you ever driven sideways? atleast in the cars i've driven its always required very fast hand motions, shuffling simply isn't quick enouph, plus on a car without power-steering, counter-steering sometimes is one of the heaviest motions ive ever had to do, atleast nearing that of turning the wheel while at a dead stop

the wheel shuffling thing is actually what they teach you in driving school?!?!?!?
I mean I suppose the "hamster-paddle" technique I was taught by my driving instructor isn?t much better, but why do they teach people this sort of crap? it?s no wonder 90% of the people out there are such shit drivers...

I did the hamster-paddle stuff for about 3 months after I got my license, but eversince my first REAL driving lesson it?s strictly quarter to three as the basic position, crossing arms when necessary and whenever possible I avoid steering by pulling...

I stopped wheel shuffling as soon as I had passed my test. It is just a retarded, and I think dangerous, way of steering.

http://img511.imageshack.**/img511/8530/shufflergo9.gif

:D

Last edited:
does anyone know which other episodes they talk bout that stuff?