When will TGUK stop broadcasting?

gurei17

Car(s)
Almighty Mazda 323!!!
Probably someone already asked this, but, when do you all think that tguk will cease? I do remember that Andy said that they are now closer to the end of the show (that was after S14 I think) but with the recent improvements I am not that sure about it. Nevertheless, I still would like to know.

Probably when one of the guys retires or dies somehow.

No one knows, not even the hosts, so it's all speculation...

Since they've gone and made other TopGear shows in other countries, I doubt TGUK will go away anytime soon. The boys may retire or die in a giant fireball in a Swedish supercar, but the show will probably survive with new hosts. It won't be the same, but there are some decent candidates out there, like Chris Harris.

I was thinking Chris Harris too. I say let the show be reinvented again when the current lot are done.

Hi everyone... Im from India..I dont get to watch this show over where i live, so for the past 6 years or so i have using this website. I thank all those whos is behind "FINAL GEAR".. I love this show more than any other.. Like you all, i have been a fan of this show for the past 10 years, never missed an episode. But as argatoga
and TomCat said about reinventing the show with new hosts, i dont think that move will any popuplarity.. I dont know about others but i will stop watching the show, the day they change hosts. I cant imagine someone else hosting the show.. I love these guys, their way of presentation.. I wont call myself a petrol head, but im heavily addicted to TopGear... Let the show go on with 3 aged men cocking up all the time...

As long as the presenters are in good health and having fun, and new interesting cars keep coming out, I think the show will go on. And I'm ok with that.

I don't think the show will stop anytime soon, it's still way too popular for the BBC to cancel it.
But if they do decide to stop doing TGUK, i hope they leave us with one last really great season of "proper Top Gear".

Since they've gone and made other TopGear shows in other countries, I doubt TGUK will go away anytime soon. The boys may retire or die in a giant fireball in a Swedish supercar, but the show will probably survive with new hosts. It won't be the same, but there are some decent candidates out there, like Chris Harris.

That might work if they manage to get good hosts, TG America seem to be getting quite good lately.

Hi everyone... Im from India..I dont get to watch this show over where i live,

You can watch Top Gear on BBC Entertainment in India, season 18 aired in India just one week after it started in the UK.
But if you are like me and don't want to wait even just a week longer for new episodes theres FinalGear :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Clarkson has said they'll finish when they're all drooling invalids and have to be wheeled out of the studio, so it's not like they're planning an exit any time soon.

So long as the ratings hold, the beeb doesn't really have any justification to pull the show, so my guess would be another 8-10 years or until JC breaks a hip doing donuts or something, whatever comes first.

I suspect that if anything does kill the show in its current format, it'll be beeb fumbuckary that does it, and the trio will go do something similar elsewhere, if anything.

I was thinking Chris Harris too. I say let the show be reinvented again when the current lot are done.

if you ask me, they were done a few seasons ago...

What is it with the Chris Harris love? Personally, I think he's dull as dishwater and tries much too hard to be funny and fails. They've got a decent replacement already employed by the Mag who actually has experience with doing honest-to-God television motoring commentary (in other words, not YouTube). His name is Tom Ford. Remember him, the guy who a good portion of us wish was back on Fifth Gear?

Clarkson has said they'll finish when they're all drooling invalids and have to be wheeled out of the studio, so it's not like they're planning an exit any time soon.
One of them was in pain through at least one episode this series from a broken something or another. Another hasn't been quite the same in the head (IMO) since "that" accident. And the other one is Jeremy Clarkson. Case closed!

What is it with the Chris Harris love? Personally, I think he's dull as dishwater and tries much too hard to be funny and fails. They've got a decent replacement already employed by the Mag who actually has experience with doing honest-to-God television motoring commentary (in other words, not YouTube). His name is Tom Ford. Remember him, the guy who a good portion of us wish was back on Fifth Gear?

For once I find myself disagreeing with you. To my mind he never measured up to the promise that his writing in TG mag would suggest. Some of the stuff he has written in the past has had me unable to continue reading for tears it was that funny.

For once I find myself disagreeing with you. To my mind he never measured up to the promise that his writing in TG mag would suggest. Some of the stuff he has written in the past has had me unable to continue reading for tears it was that funny.

Well, you and I are civilized enough to agree to disagree. But you have to wonder how much of that cognitive dissonance you're experiencing with Ford has to do with the fact that Fifth Gear, for some reason, loves to place its subsidiary presenters (i.e., anyone who's not Tiff, Vicki, or Potato) in some kind of personality blender, turning them into the presenter equivalent of a smoothie (hello, Tim Lovejoy). This is why I'm so down on Jonny Smith; behind the facade, most of the time, there's nothing there. In an environment like Top Gear, Ford might actually have the freedom to move beyond Wookie and express the personality that he does in his writing.

I don't see that same potential in Harris. At his core, he comes across as beige, like his greatest desire is to present Motorweek or some equivalent, only with a touch of very jarring attempts at Hipsterism. If we still had Old Top Gear, I'd definitely say yes to Harris, but not on TG as it's currently constructed. And unlike Ford, his writing comes across the same way as his presenting.

I hadn't thought of it that way but I'd be surprised given TF's unique style of writing if the show's directors/producers would have wanted to dilute the very thing that makes him who he is. I always put it down to the fact that he isn't perhaps or never became totally comfortable in front of a camera.

I hadn't thought of it that way but I'd be surprised given TF's unique style of writing if the show's directors/producers would have wanted to dilute the very thing that makes him who he is. I always put it down to the fact that he isn't perhaps or never became totally comfortable in front of a camera.

Think about the role that the subsidiary presenter/presenters have to play on Fifth Gear. You've got Flouncing Queen Tiff, Screeching Vicki, and Maniacally Intense Jason hanging around. They've pretty much filled the quota of eccentrics on the show (not to mention more than the quota of racing drivers). Someone has to be the Anchor of Normalcy, and that role falls to the subsidiary presenter. In order to keep the show from going off the rails completely, the subsidiary presenter has to come across as someone who has some vestige of sanity and can communicate it to the audience. Tom Ford is definitely not fit to fill that role. But this is how the producers set up Fifth Gear, fearful that a totally whacked-out show would alienate the audience. This is why the subsidiary presenter role has been a revolving door until Smith came along. No matter how bizarre his facial hair and wardrobe, he was still "normal".

Tom Ford is a lot of things, but "normal" isn't one of them. Top Gear, Old and New, has a track record of pushing the not-normal. I think he'd flourish there, on one condition: no Clarkson. If TF isn't strong enough to withstand Typhoon Jeremy, he's dead. That's where I'm certain Harris would fall down.

The reason I like Chris Harris is because the man can drive, but also he has a great speaking voice and can deliver commentary extremely well. I haven't seen him do any films that I would call "big budget", at least by TopGear standards, so no doubt he was left writing the reviews and jokes himself, or just ad-libbing it. With the production value and writers of TopGear, I think he could really shine.

Tom Ford is someone I haven't even thought about in ages. I never really missed him on Fifth Gear. Do you have any especially funny articles of his that you could post? Maybe he would be good on TopGear, if given the freedom to be himself.

So long as the ratings hold, the beeb doesn't really have any justification to pull the show, so my guess would be another 8-10 years or until JC breaks a hip doing donuts or something, whatever comes first.

I suspect that if anything does kill the show in its current format, it'll be beeb fumbuckary that does it, and the trio will go do something similar elsewhere, if anything.

i don't think JC has that many more years in him. i predict two more seasons, assuming hammond doesn't get a better offer before then.

Chris Harris? Well, there's no denying that his reviews are crisp and are rather brilliant! There's absolutely no clowning about as we see in Top Gear these days. Still, I feel this guy exaggerates and over-acts sometimes. Only sometimes...And, I also see a certain Clarkson-wannabe endeavor in his eyes. That said, basis his work and experience of the past it's just a matter of time before he makes it big. Could well be TG big...

However, I have my doubts if the show will ever be the same again without the legendary trio of Clarkson, Hammond and May. :(

Clarkson is a legend in his own lifetime, and while it may not be for his car-driving skills, there are plenty of reasons why he is, and will always be. One thing which I haven't understood so far with hardcore petrol-heads/critics is that they have always questioned Clarkson's car controlling ability by comparing it with Tiff, Harris, et al. This isn't F1, is it? Or, are we running any sort of championship on BBC? This a car-program. So, why all that brouhaha? It may sound fanboy-ish now, but as long as Clarkson can pull power-slides and speak his heart-out about cars, I can live without Tiff or Harris's drifting finesse. Period.

Replacement, displacement or whatever, agreed, Top Gear is on its last legs now (with the current hosts!). A new cast may not be too far from making, but forgetting the old one will definitely take some time. Might even take forever...Remember, these are the guys who started it all...;-)

Last edited: