Where can I source Vaio spares ?

mpulztracker

Car(s)
Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Hi guys,
I have a Vaio SZ3HP which I bought around 3yrs ago. Since the past month the cooling fan is making quite a racket... and also the base of the laptop heats up more than usual. I guess its time to buy a new fan...But I cant seem to find a decent place to source the spares from :? (I'd like to avoid taking it to Sony service center) (btw I'm in the UK) Thanks :)

Have you tried cleaning the heat sink yet? You could also try oiling the fan bearing.

Hi guys,
I have a Vaio SZ3HP which I bought around 3yrs ago. Since the past month the cooling fan is making quite a racket... and also the base of the laptop heats up more than usual. I guess its time to buy a new fan...But I cant seem to find a decent place to source the spares from :? (I'd like to avoid taking it to Sony service center) (btw I'm in the UK) Thanks :)

I don't know where you can source new parts but I recently had this happen to my SZ as well. I ended up having to replace the HDD, fan, entire cooling system and maybe the motherboard and CPU. Sony quoted the repairs to be: 500 GBP. then I took one of those computer cities in Hong Kong which quoted it to be just under 125 GBP. Other than that; all I can suggest is Ebay or Amazon.

Last edited:
Have you tried cleaning the heat sink yet? You could also try oiling the fan bearing.

I'll try that first!

I have already tried Ebay etc. My Vaio SZ has been brilliantly reliable uptil now and am quite pleased with it. But i really don't want to deal with the twats at Sony Service :shakefist:

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Get a (broken) second one to strip for parts. Sony is know for not selling spare parts.

Try a computer service center near you, they know where to dig for stuff like that.

Try a computer service center near you, they know where to dig for stuff like that.

Last time i tried (here in germany) they told me that the only way to get a spare part from Sony is by sending them the laptop so they can build it in themselves.

As i said, another reason not to buy Sony.

So you have to pay 20? shipping and handling + 200? repair costs for a 10? part.
Great. At least you can replace the battery, unlike a certain other brand I shall not mention.