Where to visit in Hong Kong?

Conan

Car(s)
Mazda 2, Toyota Corolla
On 15th-19th this month I will be in Hong Kong. I have never been to Hong Kong before and hopefully it will offers me the great experience I'm expecting from it. And as there's a bit of Hong Kong population along with a few people who've been there on this forums, I want to get some advice.

The problem is, I am a terrible traveller. I don't like going to attractions that offers nothing to my interest. My friends are making noises for places such as Disneyland already and I have no problem with that. It's just I'm not the sort of person who will decided to go there on my own. For example, when I went to Europe I visited 3 automotive museums and letting my travel companion dealing with monuments, churches, city centre, and pretty landscapes. This will surely annoy my new travel companions who offered me to choose some of the place to visit. Luckily for them I believe there's no such thing as automotive museum in Hong Kong. But that means I have no idea what to visit or what to do.

One of the thing that I will absolutely have to buy is some sort of die-cast. As I believe Hong Kong is the home of AutoArt. Oh yeah, anybody can tell me where is the best place to buy them?

And beside that I'm completely blank on what to do. :|

Anybody have any suggestion?

Last edited:
PM Killpanda. He lives there, or at least did for a while, and if he is still there I am sure he would help you out and maybe even spend some time with you. He's a decent chap.

EDIT As is his charming lady wife. Sorry, KP, I was in a rush when posting originally!

Last edited:
Never been there (except for the airport), but my co-workers tell me the mountains are great if you like hiking.

The outcome of this might be relevant to my interests come end of March...

Oh welp. Let's do it blind then. I'm getting on a plane in a few hours. :)

Sorry! I started writing a quick reply when I received your pm but things got busy and I just found time to finally reply...

AutoArt is indeed based in HK, their showroom in causeway bay may be as close to a car museum as it gets here.

As for the rest, not sure what your interests are but there are a lot of diverse things to do here, from city to hiking to beaches, etc.

There's even a retro gaming exhibit this weekend if you're interested :)

Sorry! I started writing a quick reply when I received your pm but things got busy and I just found time to finally reply...

AutoArt is indeed based in HK, their showroom in causeway bay may be as close to a car museum as it gets here.

As for the rest, not sure what your interests are but there are a lot of diverse things to do here, from city to hiking to beaches, etc.

There's even a retro gaming exhibit this weekend if you're interested :)

Thank you. :)

Its quite hard to reply with the phone so pardon a very short reply.

The hostel I am at is in Causeway bay so it should be easy to go to the Autoart showroom. I definitely have to.

As for my interest. I guess I will make do with other people choosing where to go. I am not really sure I can choose a good place. Tagging along is my specialty :lol:

Retro gaming is not really my thing. And I am sure my travelling companion have some thing for the weekend planned.

It is great to be here already even though I have yet to see the city in sunlight.

We did find some body who will help us around. My friend know some local people. Today we will travelling the city in the afternoon. :)

I went there this morning and only found Bentley dealership. It was weird. I could not find the shop itself. Did I miss the obvious?

Hmmm, their Facebook page still shows the same address. If you look on Streetview, it should be where the DCHL shop was.

The outcome of this might be relevant to my interests come end of March...

Aaaand here we are! I just booked my flights... I'll be arriving on 27th of March and leaving for Auckland on the 30th. So I have basically 2.5 days to do stuff in HK and I'll be meeting up with a friend who is currently doing an internship in Taipei. We'll need accomodation, and I'm not really hopeful in that regard, but is there anything not too expensive in HK at all? :D

There are quite a few nice apartments on airbnb for not too much money :)

The cheaper ones should be around Mong Kok, on the Kowloon side. Hong Kong Island will probably be more expensive.

We'll go check out airbnb, thanks :) Would you be around for dinner or something of the sort on March 27-29?

I stayed at Comfort Hostel in Causeway bay. We booked a room for 4 and ended up paying about 15eur a night. It felt like renting a boot of Jay Leno's big American car. But it is what Hong Kong is, and it was good enough. I guess it doesn't matter much as long as you're close to the MTR station, so staying on Kowloon side could be a good option as well. It however was very convenience for me as I was in the middle of the town.

Travelling should be a breeze. The MTR train system is easy to navigate and Taxi is not too expensive, but it seems to me that none of the drivers are capable of speaking English. Then again nearly everything seems to be walking distance in Hong Kong. (Not literally, but it felt that way). :)