Where we are going, there might not be roads... '99 Fiat Panda 4x4

MXM

I paid for this title
DONOR
Matt2000;n3551452 said:
That is incredibly cute. Do it! I have the WD Panda 4x4 episode on now as it happens.
Ugh, that was not a great performance by WD

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
MXM;n3551460 said:
Ugh, that was not a great performance by WD
No it certainly wasn't. Poor thing.

As for the tacho we have the manufacturer, that's a start. I've done some looking around and this might sound crazy but the green, yellow and red markings make me think it's from a plane or something, clearly the operating speed is low. Maybe a truck?

Edit: Nah it can't be a plane, 8k RPM is too fast. Would likely be 4 cylinder too otherwise it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

MXM

I paid for this title
DONOR
I've tried to translate the Italian forum thread where I found it, apparently it's a general purpose tacho with a printed face. The face is possibly inspired by a Fiat Regata. It has the same yellow dots near the limit, but doesn't have the green area :)

EDIT: And the needle is sourced from another Panda dash, from the fuel meter.

Last edited:

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
That makes more sense, it looks like they went to quite a lot of effort to make it too. So I suppose you could go with anything. I suspect that the mechanism of the gauge is actually bigger than you can see and it's just hidden behind the dash, a 52mm one I guess.

I have some printable glossy vinyl, this almost sounds like a Ringmeet project. :p

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
That makes sense, I suppose they could've gone with anything. The mechanism for the tacho is probably larger behind the dash, I guess 52mm. Well, I have printable vinyl and we'll all be meeting up in a months time. Could this be a Ringmeet project? How hard can it be? :p

MXM

I paid for this title
DONOR
It's a little more complicated. The clock that is supposed to go there looks like this:

I guess I just have a hole there behind the blanking plate.

public

Has been known to shou emousshiöns
DONOR
Car(s)
205–405–MX5–Polo–Panda–Daimler
If my clock is unrepairably dead, you can have it if you want to build it into a tacho.

MXM

I paid for this title
DONOR
/me inspects the clock, notices loose wire... "Nope, unrepairable"

:p

public

Has been known to shou emousshiöns
DONOR
Car(s)
205–405–MX5–Polo–Panda–Daimler
You couldn't do that to yourself.. I mean to me!

MXM

I paid for this title
DONOR
Beni;n3550863 said:
Hmm, German Wikipedia thinks it was built in Austria.

Does it have the funky extra dials?

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/yZBpDcW.jpg"}[/IMG2]
I've been studying this question for the past days, and it seems it's more difficult to get a hold of than I thought. It's a Japanese made Jeco general-purpose inclinometer, where Fiat just changed the image to a Panda. They haven't been offering them in the late 90s because the manufacturing had ended.

There are some replicas on Italian ebay: https://www.ebay.it/itm/FIAT-PANDA-4...O/273310995933

But it looks cheap, it has small differences to the original. And despite looking cheap, that's a bit pricey for a replica imo.

Real Jeco originals are molto raro, and mostly localized to Italy, and don't end up on ebay. For example:

https://catanzaro.bakeca.it/dettagli...-wz8a144097386 (and that roofrack is also very tempting ;))

https://www.kijiji.it/annunci/ricamb...fiat/122629852 (and yes, it apparently had a "jeep" image on some units installed in a Panda)

https://www.subito.it/accessori-auto...-257330551.htm

This last one is perfect. Does anyone know enough Italian to help me somehow purchase it? :)

Last edited:

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
MXM;n3551547 said:
This last one is perfect. Does anyone know enough Italian to help me somehow purchase it? :)
Working on it.

MXM

I paid for this title
DONOR
I forgot to mention, I already asked Beni to contact the seller, which has been progressing.. somewhat ;)

Beni

DONOR
Car(s)
too many
yes, I'll contact him tomorrow after 5 pm, as requested...let's see if that leads anywhere...

MXM

I paid for this title
DONOR
Meanwhile, enjoy this display of understated competence:

As far as I could figure out from the comments, it's slightly lifted, has a welded rear diff, and obviously offroad tyres. Also has a 1.2L from a Punto.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
That was impressive, it's narrow enough to fit in to the elephant's footprints so it doesn't really need to life the wheels much, and when it does that welded diff keeps it going. Approach and departure angles are excellent too. It did go outside the course at one point though so points off for that. :p

mjk

Lol. The serious off-roader struggles while the Panda just takes it. More proof that it's one of the greatest offroaders of all time.

MXM

I paid for this title
DONOR
I'll write some more impressions and updates later on, but shortly, I love the car, and the trip was amazing.

(c) Fairlady

(c) Lastsoul

At ringmeet the car won "best car" (which puzzles me slightly, but thanks <3), and I got a special prize for accidentally starting a tradition - a very special, custom made, fully functional 4x4 lego Panda straight from nicjasno-skunkworks. I'm sure I'll post more pics of this Panda too later on ;)