Where would you like to see the magazine?

Kebab gud said:
may i suggest a Scandinavian version?

NO thank you! I'd rather read original reviews than something wrote by local guys. Or do they actually translate it? I've read a russian version, and apparently they make up their own material (partly anyway).

And it's not like whole scandinavia speaks the same language ;) And every scandinavian country by itself is probably too small market.

1. Scandinavian version definitely in the pipeline. Not sure where it will originate yet, though.

2. I agree about the Australian market. The key thing will be to find relevance for the local market.

3. Germany - hope this entices you to pick up the export mag again. TG mag aims to be a balance between authoritative and entertaining. German car mags are very dull generally, though, IMHO.

Yes, take your point. Scandinavia would probably end up as separate editions - all tbc though.

The Russian edition is particularly good - they make a lot of their own content and it's usually excellent.

TGUKGLM said:
2. I agree about the Australian market. The key thing will be to find relevance for the local market.

I'll write for it! I can review my Aston and other cars I have for them! :lol:

But seriously it is nice to see the magazines looking for idea and feedback from the people who actually buy these magazines. :thumbsup:

I for one would get an Australian version of Top Gear over the other magazines on offer, as long as it was offered at a competitive price.

I mean as I've said in my previous threads, I think it is a good magazine, but just not worth the large amount they charge in comparison to a subscription to other magazines.

Nice to hear you say that.

If we launched in Australia, it would be at a 'local' price.

MXM said:
NO thank you! I'd rather read original reviews than something wrote by local guys. Or do they actually translate it? I've read a russian version, and apparently they make up their own material (partly anyway).

And it's not like whole scandinavia speaks the same language ;) And every scandinavian country by itself is probably too small market.

If you look at the website for the Romanian Top Gear, a lot of the features / "named" articles are simply translated, as opposed to being original content. The Peter Grunert "Big tractor into London" was front-page Romanian news translated for example.

I can't comment on the "Drives" or "Reviews" part as my Romanian is slightly rusty :p They do have slightly different cars from us - they get the Dacia Logan, a budget Renault, for ?3,000 for example, that we don't get, so I'm assuming there'd be local reviews. Plus the road situation'd be completely different [much as the UK roads are different to other countries'].

edit - Looking at the Drives section, there're more Romanian names than UK - though Tom Ford does show up, for example - so I'm assuming some localised testing is done.

If anyone knows the URL of the Russian Top Gear website, if there is one, I'd love to look, as I'm learning the language at university, and original content sounds good. I couldn't find it after a Google though.

edit - I can't comment on launching into new markets, as I'm already in the UK. I agree with a previous comment about France though - I always buy native motoring magazines when I'm over there, and they're very dry and factual, like Germany's. Top Gear is a nice change from that here [why I buy it over alternatives like What Car? and Test Drive] and France may well appreciate it too.

Hrm, what about Canada? Or maybe just a North American version of the mag? (by "version" I don't mean full of praise for Ford and Chrysler vehicles, I mean less expensive to the locals ;))

I just ordered a 12 month international subscription and the price I paid is shockingly astronomical. I don't mind that much because I love Top Gear, but then people pointed out I wouldn't get all the gifts and cool freebies... that's what really upsets me. Maybe if you produce a North American version you can distribute the goodies with it at a moderate cost?

An American version would actually work, now that there's going to be an American version of the show. People who have never heard of Top Gear might watch the show and will be attracted to the magazine if they like what they see on TV.

Ditch the UK ads and replace them with a few American advertisers, and throw in some reviews of American cars that aren't full of paid-off praise for the domestics.

And include the gifts too, now that people will know what the hell they mean after watching the show! I want Cool Wall magnets, dammit! :x :p

If making a NA version, just make sure its to the same standars as UK and NZ top gear and ill buy it in a flash!

BlaRo said:
An American version would actually work, now that there's going to be an American version of the show. People who have never heard of Top Gear might watch the show and will be attracted to the magazine if they like what they see on TV.

Ditch the UK ads and replace them with a few American advertisers, and throw in some reviews of American cars that aren't full of paid-off praise for the domestics.

And include the gifts too, now that people will know what the hell they mean after watching the show! I want Cool Wall magnets, dammit! :x :p

Yeah, i'd love to have a North American edition of Top Gear Magazine. I religiously go to my local Barnes and Noble to pick up the latest copy of the UK export edition at the beginning of the month, and pay $8.99 a copy. I would much rather pay less, and have it delivered to my mailbox. I'd also love to get the gifts as well :-D

And honestly, the american car magazine market could use some competition cause as it stands now it's a battle of "who can suck up to the car manufacturers more". I would much rather have an entertaining read, hopefully with parts still written by the TG UK crew (like Jeremy's articles), than some suck-up-fest any day.

DOn't just limit it to the US, Canada loves Top Gear as well! We just don't like paying inflated prices without the cool gifts.

If we had gotten the T-shirt and fridge magnets, I would be a subscriber. However, we didn't, so I'm not.

Well, seems like there's quite a few of you who would like to see a version of the mag in the US and/or Canada. That's definitely in our plans, especially since the TV show is now on BBC Canada and, as reported elsewhere here, there is a US version of the show in the pipeline.

Both of these depend on people watching them, though, so, if I can plug them a little bit, make sure you get everyone you know to tune in.

One final point on editorial independence - this is a 'non-negotiable' element for us in creating overseas editions. We got into trouble initially in Romania, for example, for not being willing to be 'influenced' by the manfacturers. This will be true of any new edition we launch.

Editorial independence won't be a problem in Norway, hence we don't produce any cars and TopGear always celebrates use of fuel
meaning we sell more oil and get rich. We also profit on war, so if you're thinking of
starting one, just team up with Mr.Bush and make us some dough. May I also suggest
using Lamborghini LM002 and Bugatti Veyrons for invading...

I considered a subscription last year but the price scared me away. I know that it probably isn't something you can do about, but 11 ? per issue is way to steep for me. If you ever should manage to get it in the regions of 7 +/- I'm in.

I'll make that point to the marketing guy, thanks.

We are considering offering digital subs overseas in the near future, let me know if that might be of interest

Welcome TGUKLM

May i suggest a export to Latinamerica? There is a bunch of guys that are dying to get their hands on the Magazine.

It doesn't matter if the mag is in English or Spanish.

I believe here is someone from Guatemala and will be in accord with me

Thanks

Latin & South America are very interesting for us. We don't have any business there at all at the moment and we're keen to expand.

What is the market like in Venezuela / Guatemala? Do people buy magazines on the newsstand or via subscriptions?

BULGARIA! Аll we have here is an Auto Bild, but it can't even be compared to the Top Gear magazine. You have editions in Romania and we are so close;) And BTW there are so many Top Gear fans in Bulgaria :mrgreen:

TGUKGLM said:
Well, seems like there's quite a few of you who would like to see a version of the mag in the US and/or Canada. That's definitely in our plans, especially since the TV show is now on BBC Canada and, as reported elsewhere here, there is a US version of the show in the pipeline.

Both of these depend on people watching them, though, so, if I can plug them a little bit, make sure you get everyone you know to tune in.

One final point on editorial independence - this is a 'non-negotiable' element for us in creating overseas editions. We got into trouble initially in Romania, for example, for not being willing to be 'influenced' by the manfacturers. This will be true of any new edition we launch.

I'd be willing to buy a North American edition of Top Gear, even at a higher price, as long as the car manufacturers can't influence the editorials, through advertising extortion. The problem with a number of american car magazines is that they are partially paid for by the car manufacturers, and at the first sight of negative talk, a company will pull all of it's advertising from the magazine.

As for requiring public support, i'll do what I can with my friends and co-workers. I just hope that Discovery actually puts it in a good time slot (like before/after Mythbusters) and actually advertises it (unlike they did with the UK edition, which I never saw an ad for).

I would much rather see a North American edition, instead of just a US or just a Canadian edition.

P.S. Also for those of you who were wondering about the authenticity of TGUKGLM, he's posting from the same address as our other bbc members.

Couple of things to catch up on there :

1. Bulgaria - definitely a priority for the next year. The Romanian edition is going very well and we think a Bulgarian edition is a real possibility.

2. North America - I think it would end up as separate editions for US and Canada, if only because of the advertising. On your other point, we regularly lose advertising, both in the UK and elsewhere, because of our 'robust' opinions. They always come back, though.

A US edition would be the same, with no 'paid for' editorial.