Where would you like to see the magazine?

Regarding a North American edition:

I have to make the recommendation that there be seperate US and Canadian versions. Now, I'm not saying they should have different content at all, just something small to distinguish them. Canadians as a general rule don't like to buy magazines that have "AMERICAN VERSION" stamped all over them - but something to mark it as Canadian, even just a little Canadian flag image in the upper right corner like the Union Jack on the UK versions would go a long ways towards increasing the popularity of your magazine in Canada. This may sound strange, but living in the shadow of the United States has introduced certain eccentricities into the Canadian mindset, and anything that makes us feel like we're buying something tailored for us instead of the Americans is a good thing.

Oh, and be sure to include the extras. I still want a Stig T-shirt quite badly. :D

BerserkerCatSplat said:
Regarding a North American edition:

I have to make the recommendation that there be seperate US and Canadian versions. Now, I'm not saying they should have different content at all, just something small to distinguish them. Canadians as a general rule don't like to buy magazines that have "AMERICAN VERSION" stamped all over them - but something to mark it as Canadian, even just a little Canadian flag image in the upper right corner like the Union Jack on the UK versions would go a long ways towards increasing the popularity of your magazine in Canada. This may sound strange, but living in the shadow of the United States has introduced certain eccentricities into the Canadian mindset, and anything that makes us feel like we're buying something tailored for us instead of the Americans is a good thing.

Oh, and be sure to include the extras. I still want a Stig T-shirt quite badly. :D

Even if the price is 10 Euros in Bulgaria, I think that there will be let's say 5000 people, who can and will buy the magazine.
Sorry for my rubbish English :)

Thats a real drawback sometimes to getting stuff overseas, the lack of extras, people go nuts here for free posters, calendars, etc, I mean its nothing amazing, but its one heck of an incentive :D

In my house alone, dad, my brother & I, all read the Car mags we subscribe to.

Im representing Canada in saying...we need it here! Chapters gets the mag but its all beat up and there is no packaging which means no dvd's.
I would subscribe to the mag but its damn near $200 dollars canadian.

OK, well I'll see what I can do - if it's going to happen, I think a Canadian edition would come first

Berserker's right in publishing two versions. The actual content wouldn't have to be too different, just some kind of marketing aknowledgement that the magazine is "for Canadians".
The market is competitive for car magazines in North America, but if "local" versions could maintain independence, as well as the passion and quality of writing we all love, Top Gear would have a major advantage.

Thanks for pointing me at that - I hadn't realised it was so popular!

I saw a report from a consultancy recently that said that Top Gear was the most popular program to rip to a PSP in the US - beating 'Lost', 'CSI' and all the top-rated shows.

Amazing.

TGUKGLM said:

I saw a report from a consultancy recently that said that Top Gear was the most popular program to rip to a PSP in the US - beating 'Lost', 'CSI' and all the top-rated shows.

Amazing.

it is true.

nobody will really ever understand how big top gear is right now

But December wasnt a good month for American TV shows since they only aired 1 episode ( well at least in most cases). And the Top Gear 3 times, so that isnt totally reliable. But I agree Top Gear has great and big audience. Beats every car show on the planet.
I would buy a German issue of Top Gear, cant stand the one sided AMS or BILD crap. (AMS is still way better though)

AMS is just sooo boring, though.

All those charts of gear ratios and torque curves - who cares? The other frustrating thing is, 9 times out of 10, the 'fantastic new car' they put on the cover either : a) doesn't exist yet and has been made on a computer; or, b) is a model that they've made to look like a moving, working car.

We think readers would rather read about real cars being driven in interesting ways than all that scientific testing stuff.

Put me down as another for a N. American issue of TG. I love watching the episodes, but when the season is over the Mag is all i have left. The freebies would definitely be a plus! I almost got a an annual subscription but backed out at the last minute when i found out the freebies were only for UK. The annual subscription price is already pretty steep, but no freebies included, which really makes it a hard decision. I get these other American Mags for $10-20 a year, but the content just isn't as interesting.

TG in any shape or form would be good. Print or Online, although I would prefer the color print. Either way hope to see TG in the US soon! I have recommended TG to all of my automotive buddies and some not, and everyone loves it!

I've bought the dutch version of the mag a few times, at first i was afraid that the feel of the articles would be lost in translation but the people did a great job, it's a nice experience to read. but sometimes certain articles are a bit too UK orientated.

I've also noticed that reviews by other writers have changed a bit due to what i think is influence by the show ( we get BBC here, and a local channel has been airing the new format show) and magazine. Even car shows on TV are trying similar items. Trying more to bring across the experience.
So I guess its a success from my eyes, but you guys have the deciding numbers :)

As for me, what I'd like to see more is regional pieces. And I'd also kill for a stig t-shirt.

m0digital - Long term, we really hope we can have a US edition, complete with all the extras and everything. As I said earlier, it really depends so much on the US show (see elsewhere on the board for the debate about that). I have to say, from what I've seen, it looks fantastic and, if it's picked up by the network for a proper series, then we could make a real go of the mag.

Kip - glad you like the Dutch mag. We think the guys over there have done a fantastic job on it, especially as they are quite a small company. I see them regularly and they completely 'get' Top Gear. (For those who haven't seen it, then have a look at www.topgear.nl )

Finally, we're thinking about starting some kind of web-based shop to sell all the covermount stuff, especially things like the fridge magnets and the t-shirts, so I'll keep you posted on that.

Obviously no chance of getting TG here, as I'm probably the only member from here!
But maybe if there was a US version, I could get that, but please leave JC's articles and stuff alone, as there's no point banging out another clone of the typical US mag!
Referring to above, it would be interesting to see the Dutch mag, maybe with a red-light room for any exciting new supercars, and ads for GPS systems that only have hash cafes and bicycle parks!!

You'd be surprised, transtek - I wouldn't be surprised if we started getting serious interest from countries like Mexico in the near future. We've certainly had the odd discussion about it in the past!

matt_shaw said:
TGUKGLM said:

Amazing.

it is true.

nobody will really ever understand how big top gear is right now

Especially if you're from America. When I started watching this, I thought it was about as popular as our car TV shows, not 365 trillion viewers strong.

I travel all over the place as part of my job and I can honestly say that there isn't a country on earth that doesn't have its own little core of TG enthusiasts.

Spoke to Jeremy before Xmas and he was saying there are quite a few places now where he gets mobbed on the street (e.g. Holland).