Where would you like to see the magazine?

Well, that's really great news. I say again that I'm constantly amazed at how many people have heard of the TV show or the magazine.

We've had meetings recently with partners in Kazakhstan - the show is popular there and it looks like we might get the magazine there too.

For the US, I'm really hoping we can get the magazine off the ground there within the next couple of years - it totally depends on finding the right partner.

P.S. Regular viewers of the forum and of this thread will be pleased to know that Finalgear.com came up as a 'recommended view' from the Publisher of the mag in the UK in our recent management meeting.

With a bit of luck, you might get the odd editorial person popping in from time to time, so be nice to them....

TGUKGLM (Thats fun to type) I just bought this months issue as I do every month, from Ohio, and I have one suggestion. I dont know if you have any affect on this department or not, but the magazine desperately needs more actual car reviews by Clarkson or May!

I remember during my summer job my favorite parts of the magazine were Clarkson and Mays article and then a great suprise of a review by either of them because next to Tom Ford they write the best and most interesting reviews. Sadly though, I havent seen a review by either of them since Clarkson reviewed the AMV8 a couple months ago. I did miss an issue or two because I was quite sick for a while, but still the magazine needs MORE Clarkson and May!

TGUKGLM said:
P.S. Regular viewers of the forum and of this thread will be pleased to know that Finalgear.com came up as a 'recommended view' from the Publisher of the mag in the UK in our recent management meeting.

With a bit of luck, you might get the odd editorial person popping in from time to time, so be nice to them....

:thumbsup:

TGUKGLM said:

Awesome!! :thumbsup:

TGUKGLM said:

Yay :thumbsup:

Thanks Dimitri Popov, I'll pass that on. We have had some more Clarkson / May stuff in the issues you missed - we're always trying to get more but we reserve them for the really important cars!

DimitriPopov said:
TGUKGLM (Thats fun to type) I just bought this months issue as I do every month, from Ohio, and I have one suggestion. I dont know if you have any affect on this department or not, but the magazine desperately needs more actual car reviews by Clarkson or May!

I remember during my summer job my favorite parts of the magazine were Clarkson and Mays article and then a great suprise of a review by either of them because next to Tom Ford they write the best and most interesting reviews. Sadly though, I havent seen a review by either of them since Clarkson reviewed the AMV8 a couple months ago. I did miss an issue or two because I was quite sick for a while, but still the magazine needs MORE Clarkson and May!

Good point, I'm on this bandwagon.

May I suggest the USA?

I can't believe nobody from Poland responded. I'm a Pole and although I now live in France (not for long), I can tell you that Top Gear is extremely popular on TV. It goes on TVN Turbo channel (all series) and specific episodes are on telly usually only 2-3 weeks after they've been on air in UK (check this for yourselt)
Also, in PL there is no mag like TG on sale, most of them being PL editions of german magazines so you could probably guess the level of humor there. The most popular is, I think a polish version of Auto Bild (it's weekly) and Auto, Motor und Sport (monthly).
Polish people love english humor, believe me! Not only TG but also a bunch of other shows are popular here!
SERIOUSLY consider that!

PS. I also would like to work for you if that's possible
:D

Hawaj - thanks for those comments. Poland is a very high priority for us, especially given the success of the TV show, so watch this space.

LongHairedHippy - see earlier in the thread for comments on the US market.

Poland again

Poland again

Hi there! Yes, there are indeed many TG fans in Poland, I just want to add some comments:

1) there is a Top Gear magazine (export version) available in Poland (approx. 300 pages, with all the unnecessary advertisement stuff we were talking about earlier). The trouble is that it's available in few shops in few cities and the price is too high. Since you were mentioning the local pricing, it won't probably be a problem with the local edition.

2) As Hawaj said the Polish car magazines market is full of boring German crap (with all the respect ...) and after short research among my friends we agreed that the TG would be a "new blood" on the market.
Believe me, even with all those additional pages on UK market this is gonna be a best-seller.

3) You really don't need to add some local flavour to the magazine, you can simply translate the magazine into Polish and the success is guaranteed!

Good luck!

Good stuff TomO, thanks for that.

We're hoping to have some positive news about a local version of Top Gear for Poland later in the year. In the meantime, I hope you can continue to grit your teeth and buy the UK version, even though the price is so high!

Come to Croatia!! :thumbsup:

I would love it!! but, I don't know how you would sell here. We have a lot croatian magazines, but they are mostly crap, and are not in the same group with TG.
If I understand, you are in the group with the Evo magazine, which came to Croatia a month ago.
It's good, mostly becouse there isn't a magazine that writes about super cars and sport cars.
In croatian magazines there are normal cars, Punto's, Clio's, VW and other cars for our little market :?

anyway, I know people that have heard of top gear, I even introduced it to some, and I think you would have readers, but don't know how much.

You could just translate it, as TomO suggested for Poland. I volonteer for translator :woot: ;)
We can buy the english edition, but it's a little pricy :?

I wanna see a feature on roads that are just hidden delights - great driving roads in the UK where you would not expect to find them...

for example, in sunderland, there's a twisty mile long 60mph b road smack bang in the middle of suburbia. Full of blind corners and boy racers. but nobody apart from us locals know about it :p

(basically I wanna see sunderland in the magazine without being attached to the words nissan and micra)

Sorry I've been away for a while.

47 - Croatia is very much on our mind. We came pretty close to a deal there recently but the market is still a little difficult. Watch this space, though.

Blythy - good luck, mate, but unfortunately I think Sunderland will forever be associated with Nissans. Unless you can find a suitable 'Crankcase' in your area....

Some other news - the magazine will soon be launching in the Czech Republic, with a press release to be posted here soon. (although I expect it will get lost amongst all the excitement about the new series!)

Just one thing I want to add this thread and I already apologize if I'm rude, but one thing is pissing me off BIG TIME:

Why the f*** can't I get a TG subscription over here in Switzerland? Below is a little email conversation I already had last year and STILL I can't get it over here :thumbsdown:

I know that CH is not in the EU but neither is Norway and they can order the thing. :cry:

Hi Christian
Sorry about not being able to do the Top Gear magazine, however a UK store called WH Smith have several stores in Europe, perhaps there might be one in Switzerland that would sell the magazine.
The EU thing is one of these legal problems to do with copyright and stuff, seems daft I know but we would rather be selling stuff to you than not, maybe one of these days it will get sorted.

Best regards

Steve

Steve Boyle
Branch Manager, BBC Retail
BBC Worldwide, UK Sales & Marketing Division

* Work: (44) 028 9032 5672
* Fax: (44) 028 9023 7907
* BBC Shop, 21a Arthur Street, Belfast. BT1 4GA
Northern Ireland United Kingdom
* mailto:steve.boyle@bbc.co.uk
* http://www.bbcworldwide.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 15 June 2005 16:07
To: Steve Boyle
Subject: AW: Shipping to Switzerland - BBC Shop Belfast reply

Hi Steve,

My inital request to the BBC shop was primarily for a subscription to the Top Gear magazine. The DVDs would have been a nice to have, since they have a package of the "best of" of season 1 and 2 with the "Crap Cars" book.

Alas, as only the DVDs are available, I'm not going to order them alone (would've been a nice add-on to the subscription).

Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your elaborate answer!

Best regards,
Christian

PS: I find it a bit weird that the "EU" list of countries on the bbcshop website names several countries not in the EU like Norway ;-)

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: BBC Shop-BELFAST [mailto:bbc.shop.belfast@bbc.co.uk]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2005 16:21
An: Christian Berg
Betreff: Shipping to Switzerland - BBC Shop Belfast reply

Hi Christian
At the moment only 2 DVDs from Top Gear are available, you can find them on www.bbcshop.com but they are only able to send goods within the EC at present. We, however, post them from here in Belfast. The DVDs cost ?15.99 each plus ?6.00 postage,payment can be made by credit card or Sterling cheque made payable to BBC Worldwide at the address below. Please do contact me if you have any other questions.

Best regards

Steve

Steve Boyle
Branch Manager, BBC Retail
BBC Worldwide, UK Sales & Marketing Division

* Work: (44) 028 9032 5672
* Fax: (44) 028 9023 7907
* BBC Shop, 21a Arthur Street, Belfast. BT1 4GA
Northern Ireland United Kingdom
* mailto:steve.boyle@bbc.co.uk
* http://www.bbcworldwide.com

Byte

Sorry about that - the BBC Shop people are more focused on the UK retail scene than the international stuff. They should still know the answer, though, and I'll make sure they get updated.

You need to go to the following URL :

https://secure2.subscribeonline.co.uk/TOPG/login.cfm

You can get there via www.topgear.com but I thought I'd give you the direct URL to save time.

Hope this helps

TGUKGLM said:
Good idea. We currently have editions in :

Middle East (mainly Saudi, Arabic language)
China
How heavily censored are these versions?