Where would you like to see the magazine?

TGUKGLM said:
I will say that the 'films' they created were very good and definitely in the 'Top Gear' style.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! :thumbsup:

Naysayers: Take that! Bring on Top gear USA!

In the same vein, I would also say that the guys who make the show in the UK aren't stupid. They know how important the US market is and won't start the show there unless they're 100% happy with it.

All shows go through a degree of tinkering as part of their development ... anyone remember the pilot for 'Star Trek'?

TGUKGLM said:
Might be a bit difficult as the market is very small and quite crowded. We are looking at ways in which we can increase the number of UK copies available in Denmark, so keep an eye out at your local retailer.

:thumbsup: May I suggest a place like Bilka (big supermarked thingy) they are in most of the country and already have a selection of car mags. (and there is one only 15 kms from me :mrgreen: )

Good suggestion - I'll pass it on to our international distribution team.

TGUKGLM said:
The other frustrating thing is, 9 times out of 10, the 'fantastic new car' they put on the cover either : a) doesn't exist yet and has been made on a computer; or, b) is a model that they've made to look like a moving, working car.

/me looking at the May issue of TG and can't resist a little ;)

Happy reader for few months now, although it took some hassle to get my subscription going.
Keep it up guys!

May i suggest Portugal!

TopGear Magazine, British Edition can be bought here but it cost 7,50?! The range of portuguese car magazines really sucks. The quality of image is bad, the tests are amazingly the opposite when compared to the same ones made by Jeremy, Richard or Hammster on tv. A Portuguese edition would certainly sell better then the english one but carefull for who you would pick to make the translation and the selection of pictures :D :D :D

I lived in Portugal for many years as a teenager, so getting an edition there is very high on the list of priorities.

Maybe not this year but within a couple of years, I hope we'll be able to come up with one.

I too would love to be able to have a subscription to the Top Gear mag here in the US as well. I've also looked into getting the import subscription and it was an outrageous amount so I go the Barnes & Noble bookstore every month and pick up my copy that way instead. I'm not sure though if I'd want a US version though if they mess it up as bad as they did the Top Gear US version the way Discovery channel did, with all their cutting and editing. I am so fed up with all the current US car mags and car tv shows, the only car mag I have now is Racer. I especially like the layouts and the photography in the TG mag, and in the UK mags like Edge as an example.

TTgowings said:
I too would love to be able to have a subscription to the Top Gear mag here in the US as well. I've also looked into getting the import subscription and it was an outrageous amount so I go the Barnes & Noble bookstore every month and pick up my copy that way instead. I'm not sure though if I'd want a US version though if they mess it up as bad as they did the Top Gear US version the way Discovery channel did, with all their cutting and editing. I am so fed up with all the current US car mags and car tv shows, the only car mag I have now is Racer. I especially like the layouts and the photography in the TG mag, and in the UK mags like Edge as an example.

I agree with you 100%

I also purchase the UK version at B&N every month. TG has some of the best photography that I have seen in a car magazine, along with SCI. I would love to have a subsciption, but I cannot justify the cost. US car magazines and shows suck!!!!!!Please help us !!!!. Have you seen Motorweek? No powerslides, nothing interesting at all!! I do suggest Top Gear every week to BBC America also. Please help us.

New here but a big car fan for a long time!

The problem I see with most US mags is that they are, for a large part, owned by one of a few compaines. They try to get the most for the money and basically copy reviews and articles to various other mags that they own after adding new pics and a few other things to them.

I read Road and Track because they actually try to test the car and get track time with it to give you an honest review of the car in my opinion. I like the technical aspect of cars especially the foreign models!! As it seems other here do for a large part!!

I have not seen the TG mag here but have seen that others have gotten it at Barnes and Noble so I'll try to go and find it and check it out.

The show was great for the short time we had it. If it was cut like I have read then I will be very :woot: after seeing it uncut!!

Another watered down mag is not what we need. The show is great so keep it in the same theme as has been said.

I hope if they go ahead with the US version of the show it is not a let down like a lot of tv is here!!

Dear TGUKGLM

there are only 2 car mags in UK that it is a pleasure to buy: TG and Octane.

to a more serious business... the usual question (more of a pray I must say!)

when will you guys produce the full series of TG on DVD with all the episodes?

The world is waiting :thumbsup:

AM

The people of Norway really need a proper car magazine. When I go shopping I usually end up with a german version of AutoMotorSport or I swallow my pickyness and buy Autofil.

Well, I dunno how it has happened but the TG mag is much more easily available in Finland now than what it was just 2-3 months ago. It used to be only available in one big department stores book department and a few of the largest book store outlets (which ment I had to go to Helsinki for my copy...) Now its even available at my local kiosk and a lot of the average corner shops.

nice :)

A few to catch up on here, sorry about the delay in replying :

NTRCPTR - I agree, it's a sad fact of life that a magazine can't exist in the US without advertising. It's very difficult for any company, large or small, to resist the power of the advertiser. However, in the UK we're lucky enough to be the market leader which allows us to have a more independent voice. We'd want the same thing in the US.

AstonMartin - don't know but am seeing the DVD people soon so I'll ask them

dice & mmap - different markets, I know, but Scandinavia is a priority target for us over the next few months so you should see more copies and, eventually, a local edition. Will keep you posted.

You have it in NZ but not Australia? Truely evil.

Definetly like to see it here, would be a nice compliment to my monthly copy of Wheels ;)

Is the magazine coming to Estonia anytime soon? I haven?t seen it here but I bought it once when I was in Helsinki. We have CAR magazine here but I like Top Gear more.

Australia and Estonia are both on the list. No immediate plans in either territory but watch this space.

zer0zer05 - I know it's a bit of a sensitive subject in Estonia but if you're a Russian speaker or reader the Russian edition should be available there and is very good indeed, probably the best of all our overseas editions.

On the topic of a local version for America, probably not viable since only the currency would change and some spelling / grammar differences.

My friend bought a subscription for me last year and I told her not to renew it. $150 - $170 is a lot of money for a magazine subscription, especially when half of it is just car reviews / specs in the back.

Most design oriented magazines which have lower print runs and higher quality paper, etc. don't even cost that much. I guess most of it goes to postage. Anyway, I'm fine with picking up a copy from time to time at my B&N.

My brother bought a few copies of TG Philippine edition and i'm a bit dissapointed with it seeming the writing style isnt in the spirit of TG UK. The local edition also features way too many boring cars with too many favorable comments. This makes TG Philippines look like a giant glued-together press release that the public has to pay for. No critical reviews whatsoever and those that remotely resemble criticism is so mild you wouldnt notice it.

I know the Philippine market cant support supercars and people are really interested in Asian Utility Vehicles (smaller, cheaper & less safety-conscious SUVs) and econoboxes and other vehicles that'll only excite the dead but it sullies the Top Gear brand IMHO. The only sure thing that makes it worth a buy are the witty articles from the UK writers.

I personally know one of the columnists (i'm unsure if she's still part of the writing staff & even lent her the car to help her in her research her assignment) and even considered asking for her help to get me in as a freelance photographer but I couldnt graple with the idea that the Philippine edition powers-that-be requiring film-based work rather than digital. That was a complaint of one of the prominent local photographer friend i know who was asked to do work with them.

I heard they have a new editor-in-chief so many things will improve. Also another columnist did some work on my car. OK job but his shops too freaking far. :)

Also if you want more feedback from us Philippine readers or directions to local forums just say so and I'll give you directions.