Where would you like to see the magazine?

A German version would be great, indeed!
Does anybody of you know if the german february export version will contain those great posters and the "mag in the mag" of the 03/08 Mag?
Greetings ;)

Finally, TopGear Magazine came to Poland. Today, I bought the very first issue.

http://img223.imageshack.**/img223/9665/beztytuufb7.jpg

maateuszz89 - what did you think of it?

Well, let's start with things I like:

- Very good paper quality
- Awesome photos
- Reviews of interesting cars
- It's suprisingly cheap (I suppose it's because of the first issue, the would be at least twice as that)
- Some down to earth subjects
- The Stig and JC involved
- Polish editor seems to be cool guy
- 180 pages

Drawbacks
- Amount of advertising
- I would like to see better balance between photo/text content (at many pages there are huge photos and small frame with text somwhere in the corner)

I'm waiting for next issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

On the advertising, it won't surprise you to learn that every reader of every magazine in the world thinks there's too much advertising in them! It's a normal problem but unfortunately it pays the bills.

The other point is more interesting, and we've heard similar things elsewhere. The mag is trying to make a much more striking visual presence than other car titles (and other magazines generally) hence this style. I would like to think you will get used to it but it's definitely something we'll check in research at a later date.

Thanks again....

I am not surprised with amount of advertising in Polish edition of TGM. I think that translators did a very good job translaitng Bill Thomas article about Scuderia or EPB about Lambo LP640. It is also good value for money. But I think I stick to UK version, although the price here in Poland is high, Polish editon is 4 zloty, Brtitish 40.

I would love a Finnish edition. But maybe the market (and language) is too small.

mikel - thanks for the feedback, don't forget that a large element of the content in the Polish edition will be from the UK anyway, so it may pay you to buy the Polish one

h-p - we're working on a project to do TG across Scandinavia soon, including re-broadcasting of the UK show, so keep your eyes peeled and will update you as soon as I have some news

Otherwise, we've got some more very interesting TV news coming up soon, which may require you to open a new forum! On the mag front, Portugal looks likely to be the next country.

Thanks for info TGUKGLM.

We are fortunatly in good condition with the TV show. Series 9 just ended in public TV, theres older episodes in pay-tv and Top Gear Xtra on BBC Prime. (which I got with my cable internet)

TGUKGLM - I know that

there are some other things:
1. I can't imagine reading TopGear without columnists like Paul Horell and Simon Moistbourne - he is really funny, and of course articles from Emma Parker Bowls about bikes.
2. In UK version these articles are faster I think than in Polish
3. Buying UK version and paying a lot makes me find time to read sth in English during a busy week, and I quite like it in the original language, at least I'm leatning some new words in English

Ha ha , fair point Mikel. Paul Horell will be pleased! And your English is excellent, so no worries there.

Any potential news on any TG Magazine for the US front? Every time I go to my local store they're sold out of the magazine!

We're waiting to see if "pilot" leads to "series". If it does, then you can expect news.

Oooh, good luck! The US TV pilot system is fraught with peril, and runs at the whim of a great number of people I seriously don't trust.

On a fun note--not only does my local international magazine shop carry the UK version of Top Gear, but they carry the Italian version as well! Nearly walked to the counter with an edition I can hardly read. :D

Well, if getting the mags in Canada depend on American viewers... :( I mean you guys in the US liked the Night Rider pilot so much it's back on the air... Just let it die.

I didn't read through the 17 pages, I apologize if I missed anything

When I was in Hong Kong International Airport, I picked up a copy of Top Gear and I probably read it many times, it's the only Top Gear magazine I owned. Upon returning to the states, I found that a oversea subscription was $110, I haven't looked since. It's quite difficult to swallow and explain to the wife a 100+ dollar subscription to a magazine, especially local magazines are $10/year

Now, the only fix I get of the trio is BBC America and Youtube. I don't have much faith for the US version of the show either, the Discovery chopped up version of the show was rubbish as well

Last edited:
I have a little question. How long does it take for issues of Top Gear to make it over to Canada? All of the Chapters/Indigo/Coles locations in my city still have the March issue on the shelf and May's will be on its way out soon!

Voiceofid - yes, it is quite expensive to subscribe. The price difference between that and the US mags is explained partly by the weight. If you compare TG to Rolling Stone, for example, you'll see it's about twice as thick. When you factor in the air-freighting, it racks up the cost.

Susie (not a dude) - there should be some copies arriving earlier, we do air-freight some out there. You may need to go to the airport bookstore though, sorry. The rest are sea-freighted for your environmental pleasure, hence the delay.

... but we're hoping to get a local version of the mag out in the US and Canada if the NBC pilot is picked up, so fingers crossed.

I bought the mag in Australia ($9-16) and Thailand(460 bath).

Loved it. I think I read the december, january, february and march-editions. Awesome.

So... Please start selling it in Norway :D

Last edited: