Which 10" FHD tablet to get?

shad_68

DOOD looks like a lady
Car(s)
Just Horsing Around
As the title suggests I'm currently looking at tablets and could use some advice.
First up the criteria I've worked out so far:
- at least 10" screen
- at least full-HD resolution
- microSD reader
- budget: ~300?

One of the main reasons why I'm looking at tablets is because I want to be able to read A4 sized pdfs more comfortably than on my desktop screen. Which means that a screen size of 10" and at least 1920x1080 resolution is a must.
In principle I really like the idea of a convertible tablet with a (relatively) proper keyboard and (non-RT) Windows. On a trip to a local electronics store I really liked the look of the Acer Aspire Switch, but a quick test with a pdf revealed that the resolution (1,366x768) is too small and shows very noticeable pixelation. Similar stuff with FHD screens is significantly more expensive than what I'm willing to pay, so this option's pretty much out of the race.

So, Android tablets then.
After some research I've narrowed it down to three contestants:
1) Asus MemoPad FHD 10
- one year old design
- nothing particularily special about it, but does what I want on paper
- didn't have one at the store, so no first hand impressions
- cheapest at 230-240?

2) Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1
- newest design of the three
- highest resolution screen (2560x1600)
- impressions from messing with a demo unit at the store: screen is indeed very nice and sharp, not really sold on the faux-leather texture on the back and Samsung's UI though
- on the upper end of my budget at 330?

3) Sony Xperia Z Tablet
- previous generation model (replaced by Z2)
- store only had the new Z2, which I really liked; but I can't exactly judge the older model from trying out the new replacement
- I like the overall design though
- can also be had around 330?

The MemoPad is by far the cheapest of the three, but then again it's a middle of the road tablet from a year ago. The Galaxy TabPro looks like the best on paper, but I'm not sure how to feel about its design (hard- and software).
I'm tending towards the Xperia Z Tab most at the moment, but my view's heavily coloured by the Z2 that I tried out.
My problem is that I haven't followed the tablet market at all so far, so I don't know how the Xperia Z, being an older model, would compare to the newer TabPro. They're pretty much the same price, but on paper the Samsung trumps the Sony in pretty much every regard. Is it really that clear-cut?

I got a Note 10.1 2014 (Tab with a stylus and that wacom screen) on a refurb deal that can net you one for ~325$ last i checked, a Tab is probably even cheaper now. No regrets for getting a refurb. You dont really care about the faux leather after a while. And the ui is mostly ignorable once you get a custom launcher and ignore most of the samsung aspects of the ui

I have the Z... 14 months later I don't yet lust after a new one, so that's a good sign.

I have the Z... 14 months later I don't yet lust after a new one, so that's a good sign.
Same here.
Bought mine a few months ago - no crashes or anything, so I can?t say anything bad about it.

Went to another electronics store today and spent some more time fiddling with the TabPro. The other store had a white unit on display, this one had a black unit. The design is much more agreeable in black, the leather texture is still a bit iffy but a lot better than it is in white. And after fiddling with some apps, the menus etc. I think I could live with the UI as well, although I really don't have any use for the tiled homescreen. Sadly I couldn't find anything that would indicate you could get rid off it.
I'm still torn between the TabPro and Z. After looking around eBay I could get a used Z in good condition from around 260?, which would be 60? less than the TabPro (but that'd be a new one). My main problem right now is that the stores only carry the Z2 by now, so I don't have a way to actually try one out in person.

Hmm, maybe I'll just order a used Z from a proper reseller where I can return it to see what it's like. If I like it, I can just keep it, and if I don't I can return it and get my money back. :think:

You can just get a custom homescreen launcher like Apex on any tablet, that removes entirely the tiled homescreen and lets you have way more control.

:lol: That won't be necessary. I already went ahead and picked up a TabPro today. :)

:thumbup: I'll be on the lookout for a weirdo on an A1 bridge frantically waving his new tablet around :wave: